• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

should the NBA think about expanding the league or still stick with relocation?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember why I too Charlotte off the shit can list, I think it is great an ex player owns a team...of course it would be nice if he wasn't horrible at it.

@Crotch Agree with all of that except the Cavs...never mind, put that city out of it's misery and my annoyance. Dismantle or relocate every team there and then build a 30 foot water proof wall around the outside of the city and give every one 24 hours to relocate before creating the world's largest, dirtiest and most dangerous swimming pool.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brilliant Idea!!!!

MAKE THE NBA A RELEGATION LEAGUE!!!

Drop the teams down to 24 by taking the 6 shittiest teams this year and move them to the D league next year.

Each year the 4 worst NBA teams are switched with the 4 best D league teams. It is essentially what soccer does but usually only with 1 team a season (They play 2 seasons a year usually).

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally, the league would be 32 teams where each conference has 4 divisions of 4 teams and half of the teams in the league make the playoffs while half sit out. Unequal markets make this a pipedream. That being said, I would probably contract the league back down to 24 teams. Here are my keepers:

Boston Celtics - Greatest franchise ever.
LA Lakers - Shittiest franchise ever.
LA Clippers - LA is big enough for two teams.
Chicago Bulls - Fifth biggest market in North America.
Houston Rockets - 6th biggest market in North America.
New York Knicks - Madison Square Garden.
Brooklyn Nets - Cold uniforms and gives NY fans an alternate.
Dallas Mavericks - Great fans, great ownership, growing market.
Toronto Raptors - Fourth biggest market in North America.
Miami Heat - South Beach is where its at.
San Antonio Spurs - Great fans, great tradition.
Detroit Pistons - God forbid the motor city loses ANYmore tourist revenue.
Orlando Magic - Great city.
Phoenix Suns - Racist city but great fans.
Mexico City - North America's 3rd largest city needs a team.
Oklahoma City Thunder - Fanbase.
Seattle Supersonics - Should've never left Seattle.
Golden State Warriors - The bay area needs a team.
Philadelphia 76ers - History and tradition.
Atlanta Hawks - No real reason.
Washington Wizards - No real reason except this region needs at least one pro team. Charlotte fans can root for the Wiz.
Indiana Pacers - Eh, no real reason except the State of Indiana loves its basketball.
Milwaukee Bucks - No real reason. Horrible market, horrible fans, no true history. Maybe contraction in favor of a St. Louis.
Portland Trailblazers - Great city.

Here are the teams I'd shitcan:

Charlotte Bobcats - Duke and UNC are the real teams in the carolinas.
Memphis Grizzlies - Not a big enough fanbase
Sacramento Kings - Great fans, horrible market.
New Orleans Pelicans - No real reason.
Utah Jazz - Nobody wants to live in Utah.
Cleveland Cavaliers - Craphole city.

Eh, it was an interesting post so I responded out of boredom. Word.

Players would HATE to play in Mexico City. For one you're in Mexico, two all of your away games are super long flights, third no one wants to live in Mexico City let alone bring their family there, fourth Mexico City is a polluted, dirty slum filled mess, five and probably one of the biggest reasons is they SPEAK SPANISH. The language barrier would be confusing, how do you expect players to do interviews or interact with fans etc.?

Mexico City is not the 3rd largest in North America is is the largest and the biggest threat to take over Tokyo for the largest in the world.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milwaukee Bucks - No real reason. Horrible market, horrible fans, no true history. Maybe contraction in favor of a St. Louis.
I love STL and the demographics should theoretically support an NBA team but KC is much more of a basketball town

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally love living in Mexico and Mexico City is one of the safest.

Right now I live in Torreon, just google that.

And maybe if Americans knew there was another language besides English there would not be a language barrier.

I guess Crotch's explanation of the Phoenix team should have told me not to respond though.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally love living in Mexico and Mexico City is one of the safest.

Right now I live in Torreon, just google that.

And maybe if Americans knew there was another language besides English there would not be a language barrier.

I guess Crotch's explanation of the Phoenix team should have told me not to respond though.

Are you saying an NBA franchise could be successful in Mexico City? Because I have to strongly but respectfully disagree.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coach doesn't have to speak Spanish! The pollution problem is horrible I hear. Just a thought. If the NBA plans to expand globally, they should start with MCity. Maybe even put a team in Puerto Rico. I don't know, just a thought. Word.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying an NBA franchise could be successful in Mexico City? Because I have to strongly but respectfully disagree.

I think it would but I more disagreeing with 4 of the 5 reasons you cited.

Pollution may be bad there but pollution is an issue in several NBA team cities now.

And yes you found the right Torreon. I live there and despite how dangerous it the people here are amazing and I have never had a problem. You mind your own business and people will stick to theirs.

Washington DC is more dangerous than Mexico City and New Orleans murder rate is 5 times higher than that of Mexico City, and in Mexico it is not random acts, they are fighting wars on large scales for control of cities and the murders are targeted more accurately than a US Drone attack.

I am sorry for insinuating you might be racist.

Mexico is a beautiful country with great people that due to the propaganda machine has a bad reputation. It is annoying to constantly hear people who have never left their home let alone been to mexico talk about it. Once again not insinuating that is you, the problem people are many and widely distributed.

end thread derailment despite still being marginally on topic :D

The problems you have sited are much worse in many current NBA cities. From what I hear especially the language barrier in Miami and LA :D

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get rid of teams. The city of Milwaukee doesn't really take the Bucks seriously. The Bradley Center is a nightmare, and I'm not sure things will ever be in a position where this state will approve a new building. Miller Park was a big time battle, and it turned incredibly well, but I'm not sure there's enough of an NBA culture here.

The Bucks have a history of success, but it's been failed rebuild attempt after failed rebuild attempt since George Karl, Ray Allen, Glenn Robinson and Sam Cassell all left the Brew City. You could probably find 3 other cities with their team sinking like this.

I'm not even a Marquette fan but I see the BC more filled for Marquette games than Bucks games. That's an issue. I'm not sure the Bucks know how to address it.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pollution may be bad there but pollution is an issue in several NBA team cities now.

And yes you found the right Torreon. I live there and despite how dangerous it the people here are amazing and I have never had a problem. You mind your own business and people will stick to theirs.

Washington DC is more dangerous than Mexico City and New Orleans murder rate is 5 times higher than that of Mexico City, and in Mexico it is not random acts, they are fighting wars on large scales for control of cities and the murders are targeted more accurately than a US Drone attack.

Mexico is a beautiful country with great people that due to the propaganda machine has a bad reputation. It is annoying to constantly hear people who have never left their home let alone been to mexico talk about it. Once again not insinuating that is you, the problem people are many and widely distributed.

The problems you have sited are much worse in many current NBA cities. From what I hear especially the language barrier in Miami and LA :D

Yeah I didn't mean to sound like I don't like Mexico. It's just the USA's perception of Mexico right now is not very good. Plus it would be extremely difficult to have a franchise in a country that doesn't speak English for obvious reasons.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you think a franchise would draw in Mexico City?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think a franchise would draw in Mexico City?

Whether or not the locals would support it is the real question, my gut says yes. It is new and different and I think they would love to watch it being played. A true test will be will be December 4th how interested they will be, I hope to be there.

In larger cities a lot of people speak at least english and spanish. Even here in Torreon.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brilliant Idea!!!!

MAKE THE NBA A RELEGATION LEAGUE!!!

Drop the teams down to 24 by taking the 6 shittiest teams this year and move them to the D league next year.

Each year the 4 worst NBA teams are switched with the 4 best D league teams. It is essentially what soccer does but usually only with 1 team a season (They play 2 seasons a year usually).

The idea has some merit, but promoted teams usually fall right back into lower divisions or leagues the next season.

Salary cap rules would have to be strengthened to give teams in the smallest markets any chance of being over .500
the season after promotion.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contracting to 24 teams would improve the product tremendously, however, it could also send the wrong message to future potential ownership groups. It won't happen because of how difficult it was for the league to reach scale economy to begin with. In the end, any team turning a consistent profit would be hardpressed to contract. Still, imagine the NBA the season after a contraction draft. THAT would be awesome for fans whose teams still remain. It won't happen. Word.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea has some merit, but promoted teams usually fall right back into lower divisions or leagues the next season.

Salary cap rules would have to be strengthened to give teams in the smallest markets any chance of being over .500
the season after promotion.

You are assuming there should be 30 teams, those teams that are promoted are getting a shot to play in the big leagues, nothing more. Some may break through but let's be honest, we can all choose 6 teams that don't deserve to be in the NBA.

I am not sure how the draft would work, or salary caps. I think the draft would be for the 24 teams that will be playing next year and the D league could be allowed to snake high school kids with promises of instant money and building a team that will be promoted.

Revenue sharing would be between the 24 teams that played that season and the D league could be a revenue sharing salary cap with out taxes but hard cap of the NBA, would make things very interesting. The D league could be become the "real" NBA and I would enjoy that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The owner's take might go up percentage-wise but the league's overall revenue would decline tremendously in a contraction. Word.