• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shohei

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if he gambled on mlb baseball he should be punished to the full extent.

He can gamble, but not in California or thru illegal bookmaking.

If he did, gamble in California and thru illegal channels, yes, it is up to MLB to punish him.

If he gambled on MLB games, he should be punished severely.
Just heard an interesting take. It might not be up to the MLB cause of if he was involved he may have to be deported.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are ESSENTIALLY 3 BASIC scenarios…

1) Ohtani knew nothing and the interpreter forged the transfers and Ohtani had nothing to do with it

That would be pretty impressive if Ohtani noticed large sums of money just leaving his bank account and he said nothing about it. If THAT happened, he's a bigger idiot than we thought.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason behind not allowing players to gamble is because that opens the door to both the player associating with “unsavory characters” and/or the player becoming financially indebted to “unsavory characters”. I agree that betting on baseball, or worse yet, the Angels it worst case scenario, but betting on cricket or FIFA is also frowned upon (not sure what actual rules exist, though).

I am speaking about MLB rules, here, not California/US/whatever laws. That is an entirely different discussion.
I completely agree. I personally don't gamble because I work hard for my money.

Regarding MLB rules, it is my understanding a player can gamble, just not on MLB baseball and it must comply with state rules and regulations and be through a legal betting channel.

The investigation will hopefully uncover everything that happened.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard an interesting take. It might not be up to the MLB cause of if he was involved he may have to be deported.
Possible, but VERY unlikely. He is generating a shit ton of tax revenue.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I get it. After they threw the first story out there someone did some research and realized this:

“If he paid the debt knowing it was for illegal gambling, there is the potential for fairly serious federal penalties,” Rose said. “There is a federal statute that says, in effect, that if you help an illegal gambling operator collect debts, you are in the business of gambling. Even if he was only doing this to help a friend, he certainly knew he was helping the bookmaker collect the debt.”

Then they went with the "he stole it" story. A baseball player lying-who'd a thunk it?

**footnote-the Rose who is being quoted there is I. Nelson Rose, a gambling law scholar and professor emeritus at Whittier College. (in case anyone thought Pete went to law school in his spare time.)

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What happens if its determined there was no theft?

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe that cover story, I have a bridge to sell you. He and the Dodgers did a complete 180 on their story regarding this dude over the last 24 hours. Shady as all hell.
The BIG question is whether or not he (Ohtani) knowingly paid off any of those debts...

Because if he did - the Feds are gonna get knee deep in his shit.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those people typically get treated differently than us peons.
Ok, but generally speaking. Foreigners who commit felonies are mafia style gangsters. Not the top athlete.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BIG question is whether or not he (Ohtani) knowingly paid off any of those debts...

Because if he did - the Feds are gonna get knee deep in his shit.
Think that is why the story flipped real quick to the guy stole from Ohtani.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of those things I want to reserve judgement on. But for now, as a baseball fan, it fucking sucks to see such a rare talent we may never see again getting caught up in this.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate Silver weighs in, with some good points

An excerpt:

Craig Calcaterra has a good roundup of the allegations and the various possibilities. He outlined three main explanations, which run from better to worse for Ohtani.

Possibility One: Ippei Mizuhara is a compulsive gambler who got in way, way over his head with a bookie To pay the bookie off, he effected either one or several massive wire transfers from Ohtani’s account without authorization. He got busted, he got fired, and he’s about to be in a world of federal legal trouble and will almost certainly be permanently banned from holding a job in Major League Baseball.
Possibility Two: These were Mizuhara’s gambling debts and, as per his and the spokesperson’s comments to ESPN, Ohtani felt bad for him, wanted to help him out, and covered his debts by transferring the money to the bookie.
Possibility Three: These were Ohtani’s gambling debts and Mizuhara is taking a bullet for his patron.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man how stupid is that bookie for taking a wire transfer for payment.
I think posters here look incredibly ignorant because it went from Ohtanis interpreter gambling to a Pete rose type level situation.

We have a bunch of drama queens on the hoop.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think posters here look incredibly ignorant because it went from Ohtanis interpreter gambling to a Pete rose type level situation.

We have a bunch of drama queens on the hoop.
Yeah it's different than the Pete Rose situation but it's understandable that when 4 million dollars gets transferred from your account to an illegal bookmaker there's gonna be some speculation.

And to be honest I still have some questions. Like how they reported early on that there were supposedly no bets on baseball. My question is, "why not?". This thieving, lying, degenerate gambler that took millions from his friend and wired it to an illegal bookmaker--that's where he drew the line? That's interesting.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's different than the Pete Rose situation but it's understandable that when 4 million dollars gets transferred from your account to an illegal bookmaker there's gonna be some speculation.

And to be honest I still have some questions. Like how they reported early on that there were supposedly no bets on baseball. My question is, "why not?". This thieving, lying, degenerate gambler that took millions from his friend and wired it to an illegal bookmaker--that's where he drew the line? That's interesting.
There's still a very reasonable chance the interpreter is taking the fall for Ohtani