• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shohei

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll do a reverse Michael Jordan and make him retire for a year and play D League basketball
Saw this theory floated on Reddit. Jordan’s “suspension” happened pre-internet. No way that would fly in today’s world.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ippei was a beloved figure among baseball fans. It's practically unheard of for a translator to be recognized and well received, at least beyond the region of the team he plays for.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe that cover story, I have a bridge to sell you. He and the Dodgers did a complete 180 on their story regarding this dude over the last 24 hours. Shady as all hell.

I know right lol. his interpreter stole millions from him and made illegal gambling bets ok buddy. I guess it goes to show that you think someone is perfect like Ohtani who is always smiling and looking like the nice guy then boom illegal gambling, wire fraud, illegal bookings and it was his interpreter that was behind all this.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the MLB will do their very best to protect him he is the face of the sport and they can't have this blowing up unless more things are uncovered and this gets out of control.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ippei was a beloved figure among baseball fans. It's practically unheard of for a translator to be recognized and well received, at least beyond the region of the team he plays for.
That's news to me. Never heard of or even thought of the guy.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this theory floated on Reddit. Jordan’s “suspension” happened pre-internet. No way that would fly in today’s world.
MJ’s entire career is different if he played in a social media time. And there would be a lot high body count

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it comes out that Ohtani was involved in the actual gambling, they wont suspend him for life....he might get a year long suspension if that and then back to normal.
He would only be banned if he bet on MLB baseball.

If he did, he should be punished accordingly.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won’t be banned. He is the face of baseball. Baseball will do everything in its power to protect him. But this story stinks, regardless.
Again, if he gambled on mlb baseball he should be punished to the full extent.

He can gamble, but not in California or thru illegal bookmaking.

If he did, gamble in California and thru illegal channels, yes, it is up to MLB to punish him.

If he gambled on MLB games, he should be punished severely.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this clown stole and lied about the gambling how can we trust anything Ohtani supposedly said? Does he even know Japanese?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...MLB is going to throw the interpreter under the bus in order to shield their golden goose from any sort of accountability or liability?
This will surely be heading to the courts very soon, and it'll be for a plethora of reasons.

#StayTuned.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would only be banned if he bet on MLB baseball.

If he did, he should be punished accordingly.

There's only 3 other leagues going, and thats the NBA, NHL and college sports. I don't ever see him watching hockey and I doubt he pays attention to college basketball so that leaves the NBA and MLB, unless it goes back to before the NFL season ended. Plus I cant see this guy leaving the state to gamble his money away unless Vegas.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if he gambled on mlb baseball he should be punished to the full extent.

He can gamble, but not in California or thru illegal bookmaking.

If he did, gamble in California and thru illegal channels, yes, it is up to MLB to punish him.

If he gambled on MLB games, he should be punished severely.
If he bet on baseball it’s auto one year.

If he bet on a game he played in, that’s the end of his MLB career.

Rule 21.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only 3 other leagues going, and thats the NBA, NHL and college sports. I don't ever see him watching hockey and I doubt he pays attention to college basketball so that leaves the NBA and MLB, unless it goes back to before the NFL season ended. Plus I cant see this guy leaving the state to gamble his money away unless Vegas.
I suspect this is looking back years. The current season has little/no bearing on this investigation, I suspect.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right...but the evidence or testimony is another time period.

Interpreter claims he himself started betting

Interpreter claims he had accumulated 1 million in debt

Sept 2023
Interpreter claims ohtani paid 1 million as a loan to help pay off 4.5 million in debt

October 2023
Feds raid the bookie. They find a transfer up to a million which says "loan"

January 2024
Feds notice ohtans name on documents from illegal bookie.

Something seems off here. Either the loan story is a lie and ohtani is addicted to gambling, or his Interpreter is telling the truth.

We need to establish if ohtani was gambling, when he was, on what, and where.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect this is looking back years. The current season has little/no bearing on this investigation, I suspect.
Feds raided the illegal gambling operation in October 2023.

As such, any gambling would have been through another party right?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right...but the evidence or testimony is another time period.

Interpreter claims he himself started betting

Interpreter claims he had accumulated 1 million in debt

Sept 2023
Interpreter claims ohtani paid 1 million as a loan to help pay off 4.5 million in debt

October 2023
Feds raid the bookie. They find a transfer up to a million which says "loan"

January 2024
Feds notice ohtans name on documents from illegal bookie.

Something seems off here. Either the loan story is a lie and ohtani is addicted to gambling, or his Interpreter is telling the truth.

We need to establish if ohtani was gambling, when he was, on what, and where.
I think there are ESSENTIALLY 3 BASIC scenarios…

1) Ohtani knew nothing and the interpreter forged the transfers and Ohtani had nothing to do with it
2) Ohtani knew/found out and decided to help the guy out by paying the gambling debts (to some extent)
3) Ohtani took part in AT LEAST some of the bets, or was just bankrolling the interpreters action. Ohtani did this with at least a good measure of knowledge.

I think Ohtani is pretty screwed if the truth falls somewhere in the 2 or 3 scenarios. And their first public comments about this situation fall pretty square in scenario 2. Their re-statements were wholly in scenario 1.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are ESSENTIALLY 3 BASIC scenarios…

1) Ohtani knew nothing and the interpreter forged the transfers and Ohtani had nothing to do with it
2) Ohtani knew/found out and decided to help the guy out by paying the gambling debts (to some extent)
3) Ohtani took part in AT LEAST some of the bets, or was just bankrolling the interpreters action. Ohtani did this with at least a good measure of knowledge.

I think Ohtani is pretty screwed if the truth falls somewhere in the 2 or 3 scenarios. And their first public comments about this situation fall pretty square in scenario 2. Their re-statements were wholly in scenario 1.
I think it's 2.

I think it depends on what the events were as well.

If it was MLB games, he should be punished to the full extent.
If it was games he played in, lifetime ban.

If it was European soccer, cricket, etc, I dont know.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's 2.

I think it depends on what the events were as well.

If it was MLB games, he should be punished to the full extent.
If it was games he played in, lifetime ban.

If it was European soccer, cricket, etc, I dont know.
The reason behind not allowing players to gamble is because that opens the door to both the player associating with “unsavory characters” and/or the player becoming financially indebted to “unsavory characters”. I agree that betting on baseball, or worse yet, the Angels it worst case scenario, but betting on cricket or FIFA is also frowned upon (not sure what actual rules exist, though).

I am speaking about MLB rules, here, not California/US/whatever laws. That is an entirely different discussion.