• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sherman is spot on

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right ... I knew that ... What is considered unsportsmanlike though ? I want a rundown on everything that can be called unsportsmanlike...

Per the NFL Rule book

Section 3 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
Article 1 There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct. This applies to any act which is contrary to the generally understood principles of sportsmanship. Such acts specifically include, among others:
(a) Throwing a punch, or a forearm, or kicking at an opponent even though no contact is made.
(b) The use of abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials, or representatives of the League.
TAUNTING
(c) The use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.
(d) Individual players involved in prolonged or excessive celebrations. Players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations while on the ground. A celebration shall be deemed excessive or prolonged if a player continues to celebrate after a warning from an official.
(e) Two-or-more players engage in prolonged, excessive, premeditated, or choreographed celebrations.
(f) Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game on the field or the sideline, or using the ball as a prop.
CONTACT—GAME OFFICIAL
(g) Unnecessary physical contact with a game official.
REMOVAL OF HELMET
(h) Removal of his helmet by a player in the field of play during a celebration or during a confrontation with a game official or any other player.
Note 1: Under no condition is an official to allow a player to shove, push, or strike him in an offensive, disrespectful, or unsportsmanlike manner. Any such action must be reported to the Commissioner.
Penalty: (for a through h): Loss of 15 yards from succeeding spot or whatever spot the Referee, after consulting with the crew, deems equitable.
Note 2: Violations of (b) or (c) (above), which occur before or during the game may result in disqualification in addition to the yardage penalty. Any violations at the game site on the day of the game, including postgame, may result in discipline by the Commissioner. Any violation of (g) (above) may result in disqualification and also will include discipline by the Commissioner. An official must see the entire action for a player to be disqualified.
Note 3: Violations of (b) will be penalized if any of the acts are committed directly at an opponent. These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home run swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; spinning the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation); or dancing.
Note 4: Violations of (c) will be penalized if any of the acts occur anywhere on the field. These acts include but are not limited to: throat slash; machine-gun salute; sexually-suggestive gestures, prolonged gyrations; or stomping on a team logo.
Note 5: Violations of (d) will be penalized if they occur anywhere on the field other than the bench area.
Note 6: If any foreign object(s) are deemed a safety hazard by the game officials, in addition to a yardage penalty, the player will be subject to ejection from the game, whether he uses the object or not.
DISCONCERTING
(i) The defensive use of acts or words designed to disconcert an offensive team at the snap. An official must blow his whistle immediately to stop play.
(j) Concealing a ball underneath the clothing or using any article of equipment to simulate a ball.
LINGERING
(k) Using entering substitutes, legally returning players, substitutes on sidelines, or withdrawn players to confuse opponents. The clarification is also to be interpreted as covering any lingering by players leaving the field when being substituted for. See 5-2-2.
HIDE OUT
(l) An offensive player lines up or is in motion less than five yards from the sideline in front of his team’s designated bench area. However, an offensive player can line up less than five yards from the sidelines on the same side as his team’s player bench, as long as he is not in front of the designated bench area.
(m) Repeatedly abusing the substitution rule (time in) in attempts to conserve time. See 5-2-2.
(n) More than two successive 40/25 second penalties (after warning) during same down.
LEVERAGE
(o) Jumping or standing on a teammate or opponent to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick.
(p) Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height in the block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick.
(q) Being picked up by a teammate in a block or an attempt to block an opponent’s kick.
LEAPING
(r) Clearly running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal, or Try-kick after touchdown and landing on players, unless the leaping player was originally lined up within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.
GOAL TENDING
(s) Goal-tending by a defensive player leaping up to deflect a kick as it passes above the crossbar of a goalpost is prohibited. The Referee could award three points for a palpably unfair act (12-3-3).
(t) A punter, placekicker, or holder who simulates being roughed or run into by a defensive player.
(u) A member of the kicking team who goes out of bounds, whether forced out or voluntarily, and does not attempt to return inbounds in a reasonable amount of time.
FREEZING THE KICKER
(v) An attempt to call an excess or illegal timeout to freeze a kicker prior to a field-goal attempt or a Try attempt, when:
(i) a team has already been charged a timeout during the same dead ball period; or
(ii) a team has exhausted the three charged team timeouts that are permitted in a half.
If an attempt is made to call a timeout in these situations, the officials shall not grant a timeout, play will continue, and a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be enforced. If a timeout is inadvertently granted, the penalty shall also be enforced.
Note: The Referee (or another official) will notify the Head Coach (i) that two charged timeouts by the same team in the same dead ball period are not permitted, and (ii) when he has exhausted his three charged team timeouts in a half.
Penalty: For unsportsmanlike player conduct (i) through (v): Loss of 15 yards from:
a) the succeeding spot if the ball is dead.
b) the previous spot if the ball was in play. If the infraction is flagrant, the player is also disqualified.
FOULS TO PREVENT SCORE
Article 2 The defense shall not commit successive or continued fouls to prevent a score.
Penalty: For continuous fouls to prevent a score: If the violation is repeated after a warning, the
score involved is awarded to the offensive team.
PALPABLY UNFAIR ACT (PLAYER)
Article 3 A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair.
Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his
crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee could award a score. See 15-1-6.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if we have any lawyers who want to break down the unsportsmanlike conduct into layman's terms I'd appreciate it.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Kam Chancellor known for this?

LEAPING
(r) Clearly running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal, or Try-kick after touchdown and landing on players, unless the leaping player was originally lined up within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LEAPING

He did do that, not all the time, but in one game he did it 3 times... But he was never flagged because I guess it was legal...

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LEAPING
Did Chancellor get flagged for the "leaping for a obvious attempt to block a field goal"?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, I think he nailed it 100 percent...We need players, not guys in suits making changes to the rules .... Refs are throwing way to many flags, and Sherman being a DB knows how cheesy these calls can be ...
Players are paid to play and not make the rules.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players are paid to play and not make the rules.

Player get paid to play yes, but there the ones out there, without them the league doesn't work... So they should have some input ...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did do that, not all the time, but in one game he did it 3 times... But he was never flagged because I guess it was legal...

He was lined up within a yard of the line of scrimmage.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they should have stopped acting like assholes then?

You can't avoid confrontation sometimes, these guy's are hitting each other out there... frustration is gonna happen it's part of the game...

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't avoid confrontation sometimes, these guy's are hitting each other out there... frustration is gonna happen it's part of the game...

So why are the unsportsmanlike foul penalties up by 35 this past season compared to the previous 10 years?

The players are to blame for this rule change. It forced Goodell's hands.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LEAPING

It says it's legal if he's lined up within a yard of LOS. I don't remember him getting a running start so it was probably within the rule framework. Also, I think he landed on his feet, not on players like the rule states. Or maybe he's just so cool he gets his own set of rules.

Kam only did it in that playoff game, and once more in a regular season game if I recall correctly.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Player get paid to play yes, but there the ones out there, without them the league doesn't work... So they should have some input ...
They already have input through the NFLPA.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that because the timing of the snap ? He was within the yard limit ?

Heh, my memory was faulty, I remember his standing right up by the LOS, but after a youtube visit yep, he runs from about 3 yards back. So is the interpretation that he LAUNCHED from within 1 yd of the LOS?

I dunno.

If you were able to take a huge run and vault with an assist you your own guys, every NFL team would hire a Cirque de Soleil gymnast to be their FG assassination guy. :)