• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Share your thoughts on the new Windows 10

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a free upgrade? Or did you pay for a key?

There are some quirks about doing a clean install directly to 10 as a free upgrade.

Free upgrade with my Win7 key is the plan.

Is it better to install Win7 first and then upgrade it?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free upgrade with my Win7 key is the plan.

Is it better to install Win7 first and then upgrade it?
The newest release of Windows 10 (November 18th) allows you to use your Win 7 key...I saw it mentioned on both PC Word and Microsoft's websites. You have to download the ISO install to do it that way I think...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The newest release of Windows 10 (November 18th) allows you to use your Win 7 key...I saw it mentioned on both PC Word and Microsoft's websites. You have to download the ISO install to do it that way I think...

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Glad to see ya btw!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, got it installed. I downloaded the media creation thing, then did the flash drive option and installed clean from that.

Asked for my product key at the start and that was that.

Glad I did the custom install instead of the express thing as I ended up turning every single option off.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make sure you set up your partition properly or you will get the automatic repair loop just like Windows 8.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, 10 is pretty stable and they've added some good features, but their default settings are controversial. The worst of which at least can all be turned off. Some are still put off that you can't turn off windows updates, but there are work arounds for that as well.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make sure you set up your partition properly or you will get the automatic repair loop just like Windows 8.

Oh, what's this about? Does it need more space than the default?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, 10 is pretty stable and they've added some good features, but their default settings are controversial. The worst of which at least can all be turned off. Some are still put off that you can't turn off windows updates, but there are work arounds for that as well.

I don't mind the updates.

What's the verdict on "Cortana"?

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, what's this about? Does it need more space than the default?
You only have to worry about it if say your PC has two Hard Drives to work with as a lot of new PCs have an SSD to quickly load the OS and a bigger but slower HDD to save most of your bigger third party software.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You only have to worry about it if say your PC has two Hard Drives to work with as a lot of new PCs have an SSD to quickly load the OS and a bigger but slower HDD to save most of your bigger third party software.

Thanks, I'm good then.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't deal with Cortana much. It's a phone/tablet feature IMO and not really of any value on a PC unless you spend most of your time with a headset on anyway. I also seldom use their edge browser. And I can't say I use many of the 'modern' apps. I turn most off and use the PC versions of almost everything. I do like that they are windowed now, but they are still geared for touch screen.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also seldom use their edge browser.
It is still kind of rough around the edges... :D Other than that I like it, but the last beta release of Vivaldi is looking good too.

And an FYI for those doing the November update: Don't forget to do a disk clean up to recover space afterward. And the latest is MS has just pulled the update for some unspecified reason so if you haven't got it you won't find it. No word on when it will be made available again. (I'm not sure this true as the article was just posted...)

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, looks like @4down20 got lucky and was able to DL the nov version just before it got taken down for good. The only way to get the functions of the latest version is through your standard windows update now.

So it would seem no more direct clean installing using a win 7/8 key. Back to the upgrade first, make sure your windows 10 is activated, then do a clean install.

There is no plan to go back to having the Nov version, or any other, downloaded using their media creation tool. They intend for all new releases to be had ONLY through windows update.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't deal with Cortana much. It's a phone/tablet feature IMO and not really of any value on a PC unless you spend most of your time with a headset on anyway. I also seldom use their edge browser. And I can't say I use many of the 'modern' apps. I turn most off and use the PC versions of almost everything. I do like that they are windowed now, but they are still geared for touch screen.

I have disabled it and pretty much the majority of the extras that show on the "start" screen.

I do like the way the task bar works now better than win7. I am a heavy "pin to taskbar" user and the more compact usage is nice for me, as is being able to see if it's loaded or not just by the blue bar under it.

yeah, looks like @4down20 got lucky and was able to DL the nov version just before it got taken down for good. The only way to get the functions of the latest version is through your standard windows update now.

So it would seem no more direct clean installing using a win 7/8 key. Back to the upgrade first, make sure your windows 10 is activated, then do a clean install.

There is no plan to go back to having the Nov version, or any other, downloaded using their media creation tool. They intend for all new releases to be had ONLY through windows update.

Nice for me to get lucky finally. I wonder what this version I have on this flash drive is worth. :lol:

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have experience upgrading a computer with the free upgrade of 10 on it? There are sketchy and often contradictory information out there on it, but basically I'm moving everything to a new MB/CPU/Ram and wonder if anyone here has already done that.

I had a full retail version of 8.1 so legally I'm allowed to 'move' that license to the new upgrade (OEM does not allow you to move it, retail does). So at worst I'm looking at a clean install of 8.1 on it after the upgrade and doing yet another upgrade to 10. I really don't want all that extra headache, but we will see.

I'm moving from an i5-2500k/sandy bridge to a new skylake/i5-6600k and an asus maximus hero viii MB with 16g of DDR4 ram. Should be doing this within the next week. Already have the hardware, but I think I'm going to upgrade my water cooler while I'm at it so I have a few more things to gather.

Just trying to figure out how much of a headache this 10 thing is going to be.

How did the Skylake build go Wiz? Careful what you use for a waterblock ---> Skylake BendGate

Intel is really been disappointing since Sandy Bridge. First they go to Thermal Paste under the IHS from Ivy Bridge on, now the PCB for Skylake is wafer thin. Looks like my 2500K will be marching on...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The skylake gear is working fine. I put a water cooler on the CPU and it doesn't put pressure on it.

I have a HAF case and the overall temps are quite cool, even under gaming.

I did move 10 over and it did work, but I still reinstalled it anyway because of some driver issues I was working on.

I have a new SSD coming in and I'll be moving the OS over to it.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They should have done this from the start.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a question: Should I go ahead and download Windows 10 or should I stick with 8.1 and download Classic Shell to mod it to look and feel like Windows 7?