• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sexton on Saban and Texas

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AUSTIN, TEXAS (population 842,592, 1.8 million in the metro)
Texas Football is the only game in town for a big city. Usually Pro teams overshadow colleges.

tuscaloosa, Alabama (population 90,468, 220k in the metro)
Alabama Football is the only game in town for a small town.

That is two totally different experiences.

Sometimes its not just the W-L records. A lot of things matter.

I don't know if it matters to the Sabans.
The Sabans might prefer the small town lifestyle.

But, objectively Austin offers things that many college towns cannot.
SO, you cannot simply compare the likelihood of winning BCS titles as the only factor.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yahoo Sports:
"the Alabama job has a suffocating, all-consuming element unlike any other. Probably the only similar job in college coaching is Kentucky basketball."

The Associated Press reported Tuesday that it obtained an email through a freedom of information request in which former Texas regent and heavy hitter Tom Hicks shed more light (and heat) on that conversation last winter with Sexton.

"Sexton confirmed that UT is the only job Nick would possibly consider leaving Alabama for, and that his success there (at Bama) created special pressure for him," Hicks wrote.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...a-after-texas-longhorns-report-031023078.html

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it was a Texas person who mentioned this originally and then the records of the emails were received from a request by a reporter who requested it in a freedom of information request from the University of Texas. According to reports that is. And this all happened earlier this year, back in January time frame.

Saban has sent his message today and he is "totally committed to Alabama", according to sources that quoted him when asked about this.
-
I know how it came about, but it was from Jimmy Sexton. I never put much credibility in those denials either way. Not like he can say "sure, I am thinking about leaving. Now a have to go back to practice". I seriously doubt he comes, but media denials are part of the game. New AD said the same thing last week.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yahoo Sports:
"the Alabama job has a suffocating, all-consuming element unlike any other. Probably the only similar job in college coaching is Kentucky basketball."

The Associated Press reported Tuesday that it obtained an email through a freedom of information request in which former Texas regent and heavy hitter Tom Hicks shed more light (and heat) on that conversation last winter with Sexton.

"Sexton confirmed that UT is the only job Nick would possibly consider leaving Alabama for, and that his success there (at Bama) created special pressure for him," Hicks wrote.

Y! SPORTS

Saban: 'I'm totally committed to the University of Alabama' - CBSSports.com

Nick Saban has once again responded to reports about his purported interest in leaving Alabama for Texas.

"Well I don't know where these reports come from," Saban told ESPN's Tom Rinaldi. "I've sort of addressed the situation before. I'm totally committed to the University of Alabama, looking forward to the game we have this week and all my focus has been on LSU and what our team needs to do to play their best."

As i said earlier, he has already commented on the reports on numerous occasions, but did so again today for good measure.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I know how it came about, but it was from Jimmy Sexton. I never put much credibility in those denials either way. Not like he can say "sure, I am thinking about leaving. Now a have to go back to practice". I seriously doubt he comes, but media denials are part of the game. New AD said the same thing last week.

Sure, we all get it, hope fuels your fire. We know that Sexton is famous for these tactics, but I think this is a ploy to cause even more Pressure for Saban and really, a kind of a childish attempt to draw the man into a war of words at this point in the season. this article said it best, heres the quote:

Because Saban isn't leaving, which means this is pointless middle-school posturing.
Saban has the best football job in America, college or pro, and for some reason the Texas stuff won't go away?

At this point in the season for a school to be playing these games is kinda cheesy to me, especially one that has a current HC that is winning and has games left to play.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh, talk to your agent, Sabes.

His thoughts were more to the "this is old news and i have addressed this issue once already" line, i am sure.
it kinda falls in this category for him.

:ss:

:deadhorse:

when all he keeps saying is :finger::stfu:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, we all get it, hope fuels your fire. We know that Sexton is famous for these tactics, but I think this is a ploy to cause even more Pressure for Saban and really, a kind of a childish attempt to draw the man into a war of words at this point in the season. this article said it best, heres the quote:

At this point in the season for a school to be playing these games is kinda cheesy to me, especially one that has a current HC that is winning and has games left to play.

I will agree. I really do not get all of this. Doesnt make sense. Sexton loves this stuff, but why get involved? All Saban has to do is tell his AD he wants another 1mm. I dont think he needs games. I did say 40% Sexton, 40% UT, and 20% his is considering. Though I think 20% is high. I get the feeling this is more a TExas agenda. Put on your tinfoil hat for a moment. I think a certain faction wants to keep this rolling. Not so much to get Saban, but to keep boosters thinking about a new coach. You get them lusting for a coach and a certain inertia takes over. Harder to stop and change everyone's mind than it is to get a new coach even if it is not your target.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree. I really do not get all of this. Doesnt make sense. Sexton loves this stuff, but why get involved? All Saban has to do is tell his AD he wants another 1mm. I dont think he needs games. I did say 40% Sexton, 40% UT, and 20% his is considering. Though I think 20% is high. I get the feeling this is more a TExas agenda. Put on your tinfoil hat for a moment. I think a certain faction wants to keep this rolling. Not so much to get Saban, but to keep boosters thinking about a new coach. You get them lusting for a coach and a certain inertia takes over. Harder to stop and change everyone's mind than it is to get a new coach even if it is not your target.

I agree you are not promoting that Saban is coming to Bama, you have stated that clearly. And i know this is more about Brown than about Saban. I just think its sad considering what the man has done for the school and they want to publicly embarrass him like this even while he is winning. I think this would tell me all i wanted to know if i was a potential HC candidate and make up my mind for me, no disrespect to UT meant.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D.T.S- Don't Trust Saban. I'm not saying he's leaving, but he doesn't exactly have the greatest track record

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D.T.S- Don't Trust Saban. I'm not saying he's leaving, but he doesn't exactly have the greatest track record

To be honest, i would run screaming from Baton Rouge and as NFL teams go, Miami is a joke of epic proportions. So can you really blame Saban.:noidea::whistle:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about it he got rumors of Miles to Arkansas and LSU loses their mind and gives him a raise last year. Sexton pulled this stunt over and over with Tuberville while he was at Auburn. The more turmoil he can create in the press the more of his clients he can start rumors about and negotiate new contracts.

Bottom line: It's easy money for him and he has perfected the art.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AUSTIN, TEXAS (population 842,592, 1.8 million in the metro)
Texas Football is the only game in town for a big city. Usually Pro teams overshadow colleges.

tuscaloosa, Alabama (population 90,468, 220k in the metro)
Alabama Football is the only game in town for a small town.

That is two totally different experiences.

Sometimes its not just the W-L records. A lot of things matter.

I don't know if it matters to the Sabans.
The Sabans might prefer the small town lifestyle.

But, objectively Austin offers things that many college towns cannot.
SO, you cannot simply compare the likelihood of winning BCS titles as the only factor.

As you said yourself, some people like small towns, others like a more metropolitan environment. With as much time as a coach like Saban spends coaching and not going to the opera, my guess would be he is just fine in Tuscaloosa, and the difference between Austin and Tuscaloosa isn't enough to leave the gig he has now.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe because SABAN'S AGENT ONLY MENTIONED TEXAS.. This came from Saban's camp, not Texas fans. Not sure why that is so hard for you to understand.
Best I can tell it's UT fans here talking about it, not Saban's agent. Not sure why it is so hard for you to understand my point that UT fans are the only ones arrogant and delusional enough to think that Saban might leave for UT.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best I can tell it's UT fans here talking about it, not Saban's agent. Not sure why it is so hard for you to understand my point that UT fans are the only ones arrogant and delusional enough to think that Saban might leave for UT.

I think he'll leave.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see this being done for a number of reasons, one of which would be what you claimed. I do have to throw in a but here though, if I was to rebut your cynical day thoughts. Saban has known about this possible Texas situation brewing since earlier in the year and yet he has gone on record recently as saying he was happy at Alabama and too old to start over someplace else. If he makes this statement and leaves now, then he will be seen in the same light as Miami and you and i both agree that was a pained look on his face when he talked about his handling of that situation and the hit he took to his integrity. I personally dont think he wants another type thing on his conscience.
-------
First let me say, I truly hope Saban stays where he is now. Other than my Huskers, I always support Alabama & Oklahoma. But Sabans words: he was happy at Alabama and too old to start over someplace else, would not exactly inspire confidence in me for him staying. "I will never leave Alabama and will retire from my current job"--would be more positive in my book.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban: 'I'm totally committed to the University of Alabama' - CBSSports.com
As i said earlier, he has already commented on the reports on numerous occasions, but did so again today for good measure.

do you have the memory of a goldfish?

After repeated denials, Saban takes Bama job

Alabama lured Saban from the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday, ending five weeks of denials from Saban
Saban, who two weeks ago declared "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach," accepted the Tide's job offer job and abandoned his attempt to rebuild the Dolphins after only two seasons.
Since late November, Saban had issued frequent, angry public denials of interest in moving to Tuscaloosa.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
First let me say, I truly hope Saban stays where he is now. Other than my Huskers, I always support Alabama & Oklahoma. But Sabans words: he was happy at Alabama and too old to start over someplace else, would not exactly inspire confidence in me for him staying. "I will never leave Alabama and will retire from my current job"--would be more positive in my book.

He made a similar statement to the one you said back in the offseason. He has hinted at retiring at Alabama on a couple of occasions and said those words on atleast one time I can recall.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you have the memory of a goldfish?

After repeated denials, Saban takes Bama job

Alabama lured Saban from the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday, ending five weeks of denials from Saban
Saban, who two weeks ago declared "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach," accepted the Tide's job offer job and abandoned his attempt to rebuild the Dolphins after only two seasons.
Since late November, Saban had issued frequent, angry public denials of interest in moving to Tuscaloosa.

did you watch the 60 minutes piece dont on him on Sunday. Probably not huh or you would not be using this as an argument. He was asked about this and he said plainly that he made a mistake when he said that and regretted ever using those words. I love how a man makes a poor choice of words and is labeled a liar about everything he ever says from that point on. I know i dont have specifics, but I can assure you that you are a liar if we use that context as well as anyone who has ever breathed a word in this life.

And anyone who knows the situation at Miami would know he left with the owners best wishes, they were on good terms and the owner didnt feel like he "abandoned his attempt to rebuild the Dolphins ". He just left for a better opportunity and better paying job.

You keep holding that grudge, I will take the man at face value because I tend to trust until burned. And no, i dont get burned often.

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this coming out when it did has in part to due with the big game this weekend with LSU and the fact that the piece was done on him on 60 minutes on Sunday where they asked him about leaving Miami for Alabama. Seems too coincidental for me, honestly. All of this was said and done back in January. It sounds like media folks also trying to stir shit up because of the piece from 60 minutes and these rumors and the fact that Saban is the best coach in college football.

That being said, Texas really has nothing more to offer Saban except city wise in that there is more to do in Austin than T-town, but Saban isn't exactly a "go have a night on the town" kind of guy. And Bama would beat Texas' offer (not that it comes down to money for Saban) so who knows. Time will tell.