• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sexton on Saban and Texas

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Only job Saban would consider leaving Bama for is Texas." Have to love Sexton, either way Saban is getting paid

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised the report states that Texas would be the only school Saban would consider leaving Alabama for. Saban is a devout Catholic, and I would think he would also be willing to coach Notre Dame.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Codaxx, I've been wondering, is this the same Jimmy Sexton that played for Texas, in the 90's, and whose father was an all star at Texas way back in the day? If so, that adds a little interest to this story.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was fairly common knowledge but it was never mainstream reported.

I am just glad that ESPN finally put the story out there as opposed to Longhorn fan sites.

I don't think Saban is leaving.

But, Saban has essentially made it clear that he has only 3 choices for the rest of his career:
(ALABAMA, TEXAS, or RETIREMENT)

I think he sticks with Bama until retirement, but it vindicates a lot of Horns fans who got blasted for suggesting it.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats laughable is the notion he wouldnt be under a similar type of pressure at UT. In fact his pressure might be tremendously increased due to higher expectations from that fanbase from the start.

At any rate, if he leaves, then the search will begin anew, not like Alabama hasnt been there before and we would be a job that about any coach in the country would jump at if asked. The one thing i find funny is, you dont want Mack because you think he is old and passed his prime and ability, but Saban is only a few months younger. I think if Mack had control like Saban does(and he will ask for complete control if he comes) then he might get you back to the promised land. Just a few thoughts on this.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban won't leave Bama

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Codaxx, I've been wondering, is this the same Jimmy Sexton that played for Texas, in the 90's, and whose father was an all star at Texas way back in the day? If so, that adds a little interest to this story.

No. Tennessee boy, but the timing of this is sure interesting. Texas announces new Ad and this gets leaked immediately

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats laughable is the notion he wouldnt be under a similar type of pressure at UT. In fact his pressure might be tremendously increased due to higher expectations from that fanbase from the start.

At any rate, if he leaves, then the search will begin anew, not like Alabama hasnt been there before and we would be a job that about any coach in the country would jump at if asked. The one thing i find funny is, you dont want Mack because you think he is old and passed his prime and ability, but Saban is only a few months younger. I think if Mack had control like Saban does(and he will ask for complete control if he comes) then he might get you back to the promised land. Just a few thoughts on this.

Agreed. Not sure Texas would give Saban the freedoms he has at Alabama. Not to mention he's 62 and has stated as recently as August or September he's too old to start over anywhere else. And stepping into Texas he'll be expected to win a NC right away. I worry he may leave, I worry every year that he may leave, but I'd be okay with Kirby Smart being named HC. Which has been my prediction for when Saban retires. And if it's not coach Smart then I'm sure we'll find a great coach.

tideguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,211.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with Smart as HC also!

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Not sure Texas would give Saban the freedoms he has at Alabama. Not to mention he's 62 and has stated as recently as August or September he's too old to start over anywhere else. And stepping into Texas he'll be expected to win a NC right away. I worry he may leave, I worry every year that he may leave, but I'd be okay with Kirby Smart being named HC. Which has been my prediction for when Saban retires. And if it's not coach Smart then I'm sure we'll find a great coach.

This is true and if you watched his interview on Sunday you saw him say how he regretted the way he handled the Miami situation, so i am not sure he would make statement like he has recently and not mean it. It does bother him it reflects on his integrity to be seen as a liar, when i am sure he never meant for it to come off that way in that situation.

I am not worried about if he leaves, we will land on our feet again, we always do at some point.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Bandwagonbo2, I saw that interview, and he actually looked like that incident at Miami really haunts him in a way. Just cant see him jumping ship out of the blue, after all the statements that he wont.

I don't know, if I'm on a really cynical day though, I might see the leaking of this story as a 'phase 1' of a plan to slowly change the dynamic/situation, so that he can build a foundation to leave honorably.

But I'm not on a cynical day. I just don't see him leaving.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Bandwagonbo2, I saw that interview, and he actually looked like that incident at Miami really haunts him in a way. Just cant see him jumping ship out of the blue, after all the statements that he wont.

I don't know, if I'm on a really cynical day though, I might see the leaking of this story as a 'phase 1' of a plan to slowly change the dynamic/situation, so that he can build a foundation to leave honorably.

But I'm not on a cynical day. I just don't see him leaving.

I could see this being done for a number of reasons, one of which would be what you claimed. I do have to throw in a but here though, if I was to rebut your cynical day thoughts. Saban has known about this possible Texas situation brewing since earlier in the year and yet he has gone on record recently as saying he was happy at Alabama and too old to start over someplace else. If he makes this statement and leaves now, then he will be seen in the same light as Miami and you and i both agree that was a pained look on his face when he talked about his handling of that situation and the hit he took to his integrity. I personally dont think he wants another type thing on his conscience.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's not going to leave. Not now.

And he is one hell of a football coach.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think one main reason he won't leave is bc of his age. He has settled down in Alabama, and he might look young but he is in his low 60's and probably doesn't want to go start over again. Otherwise I think he would be very interested in the Texas position.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's not going to leave. Not now.

And he is one hell of a football coach.

Thanks, he is pretty damn good.

I think Mack could be again, if he didnt have as much interference as it appears he might have at UT from the administration. that and I think he might need to find some assistants that are a bit more top of the line. No offense to UT meant in any way.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today on the local Austin Espn radio, they were talking about the stress of being a coach (with Fox, Kubiak in NFL).

They were talking about how very stressful jobs age you prematurely. Specifically, talking about how Mack Brown has aged so much in his 16 years at Texas.

Saban basically looks the same, like the stress has not visibly ages him. He's about the same age as Mack. Hard to see him jumping from one of the most rabid fanbases to another now in his career. And, having to deal with the LHN demands on his time, which would keep him from doing what he does best, which is prepare for the next game. Plus, he'd be in the middle of a huge power struggle going on with the Board of Regents, and the Governor, Rick Perry (an Aggie) who has been on a mission to destroy UT for years, appointing his own lackeys to the Board, so he can get the votes to go his own way. It's a huge mess, and why mess with it?

I just cant see him here in Austin. There is just too much other BS he's have to do, and I don't think he'd put up with it.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get all the excitement of Saban going to Texas. Alabama has twice the history that he would find in Texas.

Saban is on auto pilot in Alabama, at his age, he doesn't need, nor do I think he wants the challenge of a new venture

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The decision will be Mrs. Saban's. If she wants to live in Austin, they'll be in Austin.