• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Pens v BlueJackets Rnd 1

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this failure is all about the inept ability for Skid and Geno to rise to the occasion. Bunch of Prima Donnas who have no heart, desire or will to win. They are wilting when it matters most and we saw this coming during the season and playoffs last year. Its now expected that Skid oesn't score in the playoffs and can't step up like a real star and leader.

True scouty, Sid has been invisible in this series.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True scouty, Sid has been invisible in this series.

How much of Sid's post-season drop-off the last couple of years is due to the fact that he knows that one more head shot likely ends his career? His all-world vision allows him to avoid getting hit too much during the regular season. But in the playoffs, when the games get much more physical and you have to be willing to pay the price to score, does this make Crosby somewhat irrelevant at this stage of his career?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of Sid's post-season drop-off the last couple of years is due to the fact that he knows that one more head shot likely ends his career? His all-world vision allows him to avoid getting hit too much during the regular season. But in the playoffs, when the games get much more physical and you have to be willing to pay the price to score, does this make Crosby somewhat irrelevant at this stage of his career?

I think the problems in this series has been poor decision making more than lack of effort. Sid is typically very reliable with the puck and trusted upon to make plays with little or no hesitation. Not so much in this series. Last year he was pretty good until the Bruins series so I wouldn't say that fear of being injured is a problem. Keep in mind that everyone is a headshot away from their career ending.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I suppose it's possible, but it's not like he doesn't' get targeted in the regular season.

I think it's just more schematic, the way the Pens play just doesn't replicate itself to postseason play, and thus he needs to be extra on his game to keep up. Add to that the bottom six is increasingly just there to take up space, not actually have a positive impact on the game. So even more is on the top lines shoulders. It's hard to be on every series, last year you know Toews and Kane did next to nothing for a few series. But then bounced out of it.

It's really unrealistic to go wire to wire great in the playoffs, it really never happens outside of a hot goaltender. He murdered the Sens last year, so it's not like he can't anymore.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our top lines love to play a transition game, but the Blue Jackets' style is making it hard for them to play that game. That's why, like element, I want to go to a trap. It's the only way I can think of that we could get that transition game going. Our defense aren't hitting our forwards with those stretch passes we rely on to get the transition game started, it's either getting picked off or going for icing. They need to focus on forcing turnovers in the neutral zone to free up the top lines to work on the rush.

Kunitz has looked especially off to me, though. Sid's a step behind, but Kunitz isn't playing even the same style of game right now. Since he's been here, he's been a crasher. I've barely seen him throw any hits this series. He's not the first on the puck like he usually is, and he's not taking defensemen out of the play with big hits. That's a big part of why Sid and Kunitz work well together, it gets Sid the puck on the boards with an extra defenseman worth of space to work with. It's not happening in this series.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit excusing Skid. He lacks a scorers touch and has become Adam Oates. He fades when playing physical teams, especially in the playoffs. He can't take over a game and drive to the net. He hides below the circle and behind the net and misses the net as much as some 4th liners.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact: Paul Martin leads NHL Playoffs in points. Really our only good player in these playoffs.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit excusing Skid. He lacks a scorers touch and has become Adam Oates. He fades when playing physical teams, especially in the playoffs. He can't take over a game and drive to the net. He hides below the circle and behind the net and misses the net as much as some 4th liners.

You are positively grating at times. Those times are all of the times. I'm with you that Sid needs to play better, but the stupid nicknames, and gross exaggerations, and the comments which lead me to believe you don't actually know anything about hockey (I have bolded one of them; I mean, how do you "hide" behind the net, one of the two toughest areas in the offensive zone?) are really starting to gnaw at me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact: Paul Martin leads NHL Playoffs in points. Really our only good player in these playoffs.

It's actually pretty astonishing, as last night was the only truly strong game he played, at least in his own end. The rust is starting to shake off, and that's good. Now it needs to happen to Letang (whose rust seems to be mostly in his brain).

Martin playing well, though, gives us two playable D-pairings, though. The unplayable pairing was the one on the ice for the tying goal, by the way, and Letang was not in a very good position there.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually pretty astonishing, as last night was the only truly strong game he played, at least in his own end. The rust is starting to shake off, and that's good. Now it needs to happen to Letang (whose rust seems to be mostly in his brain).

Martin playing well, though, gives us two playable D-pairings, though. The unplayable pairing was the one on the ice for the tying goal, by the way, and Letang was not in a very good position there.

Yeah if Tang could play to his potential we would be in good shape offensively. Really sad that he's not even trustworthy on the 1st power play unit. If Tang isn't even good enough to run the power play then it doesn't even make sense to play him.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very possible to admonish Kunitz's play and still think Sid has been bad, they aren't mutually exclusive.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got outshot 46-25 by the Blue Jackets & Dan blames MAF.

Well I happen to agree with most of what Dan said, no way Fleury should play that puck, the effort was non-existent, and Crosby/Malkin were terrible. Just strikes me as a guy with no answers, who is now scared for his job and lashing out.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should be defending MAF in public, you don't degrade the goalie to the media.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I happen to agree with most of what Dan said, no way Fleury should play that puck, the effort was non-existent, and Crosby/Malkin were terrible. Just strikes me as a guy with no answers, who is now scared for his job and lashing out.

Even if he's speaking the truth, now is not the time to say it to the media.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if he's speaking the truth, now is not the time to say it to the media.

No I completely agree, just thought his comments were correct, but not the right time to publicly bash the team.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I completely agree, just thought his comments were correct, but not the right time to publicly bash the team.

Yeah plus Dan is in no position to criticize anyone. Right now I blame him for the Pens' woes in this series more than I blame MAF, Sid, Geno, or anyone else.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:nod: Dan's toast

Too little too late though. This should have been handled following the sweep in the ECF in '13

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully we fire Dan during the offseason, Sid & Geno fake injuries next season, & with the 1st pick of the 2015 NHL draft the Pittsburgh Penguins select Connor McDavid :yahoo: