• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Pens v BlueJackets Rnd 1

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been waiting for this night for a while. Playoff hockey can't be beaten. Lets go Pens!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice comeback by the Pens, really came back strong after going down 3-1 early in the 2nd.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty proud of the way we played tonight. We came out and made a couple bad defensive mistakes that led to a few goals, but we came back strong. I personally thought we controlled play for most of the game and Fleury was pretty solid. Play like this minus those mistakes on defense and we win this series easily.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty proud of the way we played tonight. We came out and made a couple bad defensive mistakes that led to a few goals, but we came back strong. I personally thought we controlled play for most of the game and Fleury was pretty solid. Play like this minus those mistakes on defense and we win this series easily.

Yeah, they did a really good job of overcoming early jitters and gathering composure as the game went on. Let's just hope we could develop some chemistry as this series goes on. Although I'm very happy with the win, there are things we need to improve on, especially Letang.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they did a really good job of overcoming early jitters and gathering composure as the game went on. Let's just hope we could develop some chemistry as this series goes on. Although I'm very happy with the win, there are things we need to improve on, especially Letang.

Definitely room for improvement, but I think I'd roll with the same lineup for game 2. I thought that Sutter and Gibbons were both great in the bottom 6, which we are going to need if we want to win anything going forward.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely room for improvement, but I think I'd roll with the same lineup for game 2. I thought that Sutter and Gibbons were both great in the bottom 6, which we are going to need if we want to win anything going forward.

I agree, Gibbons hustled like a horse out there, and what can you say about Sutter's play besides,
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTtZry5UYik]Brandon Sutter (1) Goal: Columbus 3 Pittsburgh 4. April 16th 2014. (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They continue to play D like that and they will be lucky to get past this POS team...

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They continue to play D like that and they will be lucky to get past this POS team...

I agree scouty, our defense made the Blue Jackets' offense look a lot better than it really is. Gotta tighten up, not happy with Tang & Scud at all.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they needed that win. Good comeback, Clb came out pretty strong, and Martin/Orpik had a rough 1st period. But they bounced back.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Gibbons to first line move. Although he played fine there, just like him better making the 4th line better. It isn't fair for Vitale to have to drag around Adams/Glass, the new 4th line was ineffective.

Also, interestingly enough, Letang and Maata played the least amount 5v5 minutes. And I heard on the radio Scuds and Letang only played 3 shifts in the 3rd period. So I think DB really shortened the bench with the lead to Niskanen, Orpik, and Martin. Which was probably the best move.

And CEC was rocking last night, how'd it show up on TV?

Correction: Scuds and Letang played 6 shifts, but only about 3 minutes of ice time each in the third period.

Last edited by a moderator:

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Place seemed to be alive on TV last night. Gotta disagree about how Adams line looked last night. Adams seemed to bring it to the Poo Jackets. He was a little wrecking ball...liked his play last night.

Pens need to man up when teams start pounding on them and not let it throw them off...if the Poo Jackets can dislodge their abilities with the "talent" they have, this team will fail.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this needs to stop:

The presumptuous Hart Trophy winner was a non-factor throughout the game—Crosby was on the ice for two even-strength goals against and only two of his six shot attempts made it on net, and that's with an official scorer generously crediting him with a shot on goal on an attempt that missed the net by 5 feet—and the Blue Jackets laid hit after hit on him throughout the contest.

Pens just don't win when Sid the Kid is held scoreless. Man up Sid and start laying some hits...

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think there was anything wrong with Sid's line last night, they weren't great. They were matched up against Dubinsky's line, and killed them in the possession game. They didn't score, but it wasn't for a lack of opportunities.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Place seemed to be alive on TV last night. Gotta disagree about how Adams line looked last night. Adams seemed to bring it to the Poo Jackets. He was a little wrecking ball...liked his play last night.

Pens need to man up when teams start pounding on them and not let it throw them off...if the Poo Jackets can dislodge their abilities with the "talent" they have, this team will fail.

Yeah true, really liked Adams on the PK last night.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they needed that win. Good comeback, Clb came out pretty strong, and Martin/Orpik had a rough 1st period. But they bounced back.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Gibbons to first line move. Although he played fine there, just like him better making the 4th line better. It isn't fair for Vitale to have to drag around Adams/Glass, the new 4th line was ineffective.

Also, interestingly enough, Letang and Maata played the least amount 5v5 minutes. And I heard on the radio Scuds and Letang only played 3 shifts in the 3rd period. So I think DB really shortened the bench with the lead to Niskanen, Orpik, and Martin. Which was probably the best move.

And CEC was rocking last night, how'd it show up on TV?

Correction: Scuds and Letang played 6 shifts, but only about 3 minutes of ice time each in the third period.

Props to Disco for identifying the weakest link (Scuds & Tang) & minimizing the damage.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 2 folks, this has been bad news in the opening round for the past 3 seasons. Let's hope we could turn our game 2 woes around and take a commanding lead in the series!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcPMpPCIbTI]Pittsburgh Penguins vs Columbus Blue Jackets "Men of Steel" - YouTube[/ame]

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 2 folks, this has been bad news in the opening round for the past 3 seasons. Let's hope we could turn our game 2 woes around and take a commanding lead in the series!

Agreed, it seems like short series the recipe is to win close in game 1, then game 2 is where you lay the wood. I'd like to see them win this game 5-2 going away.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Props to Disco for identifying the weakest link (Scuds & Tang) & minimizing the damage.

The amazing thing, Dan essentially benched Letang for that dumb slash, and he said so publicly. Letang owned up to it, and now we can move on. Its how things are supposed to work.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amazing thing, Dan essentially benched Letang for that dumb slash, and he said so publicly. Letang owned up to it, and now we can move on. Its how things are supposed to work.

That's a great move by Dan. He set a precedent that if you get involved in the stupid stuff, you sit. Hopefully the team permanently learns the lesson, and they can just focus on playing hockey.