• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Secondary / Defense

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So hopefully our offense is every bit as good as we anticipate but they are struggling a little with our defense, specifically the secondary. Really hoping our secondary has matured to that next level and they are a top 10 defense. It sure would make things nice if our offense wasn't having to put up 30 for a chance to win every week. Right now, from all reports, the secondary has dominated the offense. I just hope it is our secondary and defense really taking that step forward and not our offense being way worse than expected.

Yeah yeah, I know, it is the first week of camp, but still.

I fully expect Burrow to dominate against lesser opponents, so I am just hoping our defense is not a lesser opponent anymore.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It helps when the first 3-4 guys in the rotation are all healthy for the most part, unlike last year where the 1st 3-4 guys were all injured and you had street F/A's trying to hold down the fort.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It helps when the first 3-4 guys in the rotation are all healthy for the most part, unlike last year where the 1st 3-4 guys were all injured and you had street F/A's trying to hold down the fort.
True enough. I still expect more out of Burrow, Mixon and the WR trio we have. I expect them to win 75% of the time against any defense.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True enough. I still expect more out of Burrow, Mixon and the WR trio we have. I expect them to win 75% of the time against any defense.
They'll get there. Burrow lost a lot of time with rehab. Going to take a lot of reps to get back into the flor. Chase didn't play for a year, either. Mix in the new OL and everything - and it's just going to take time to gel.

Plus, I think this defense has a chance to be pretty good. Not top 10 or anything, but they have a TON of veteran depth, especially in that secondary. Now that you have Reader healthy, and Hubbard, and the F/A and draft picks...

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have too much media coverage of camp and too much twitter these days.

I've been reading the same reports as you. It doesn't necessarily impress me that a defensive unit is playing fast and furious against a base offense that isn't using audibles or exploiting matchups. It also doesn't concern me that the offense isn't clicking or that receivers are dropping passes.

As Allen Iverson would say, "We talkin' about practice!"

All that said, I do like some of the leadership emerging on this defense. Sam Hubbard, Jesse Bates, Vonn Bell, Mike Hilton.... All young veterans that want to be good. We've finally ridded the place of Marvin guys. As good as Dunlap and Atkins were for us, I don't think they ever bought in after Lewis left. Its a new D now - They might not be world beaters, but I bet they are much improved.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have too much media coverage of camp and too much twitter these days.

I've been reading the same reports as you. It doesn't necessarily impress me that a defensive unit is playing fast and furious against a base offense that isn't using audibles or exploiting matchups. It also doesn't concern me that the offense isn't clicking or that receivers are dropping passes.

As Allen Iverson would say, "We talkin' about practice!"

All that said, I do like some of the leadership emerging on this defense. Sam Hubbard, Jesse Bates, Vonn Bell, Mike Hilton.... All young veterans that want to be good. We've finally ridded the place of Marvin guys. As good as Dunlap and Atkins were for us, I don't think they ever bought in after Lewis left. Its a new D now - They might not be world beaters, but I bet they are much improved.
I hope you guys are right. Considering last year Burrow sliced and diced the secondary in training camp as a rookie. I am sure there are going to be some bumps in the road, and I am not expecting playoffs, it would be nice, but if we can get close to .500 and be in every single game within a score without getting our butts whipped, I will be excited about the future of the team.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is any reason for concern, it is the offensive line. The fantasy that a 2nd round rookie playing out of position was suddenly going to be better than average, is now being exposed for what it is. Depth at tackle is still a huge concern, particularly as one guy is already out and two others are nursing injuries. Center is questionable given Hopkins recovery time and the inconsistency that is Billy Price. At this point in time, its possible that you will see Michael Jordan as a starter on opening day.... Same guy that got Burrow's knee shredded. If Burrow is having confidence issues, it would be hard to blame him.

The issue with the line is this..... Yes, in a perfect world it works. If everyone is healthy and Pollack makes the right changes things "could" go well. But there is no depth - And the Bengals had the cash to make it better and refused to do it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is any reason for concern, it is the offensive line. The fantasy that a 2nd round rookie playing out of position was suddenly going to be better than average, is now being exposed for what it is. Depth at tackle is still a huge concern, particularly as one guy is already out and two others are nursing injuries. Center is questionable given Hopkins recovery time and the inconsistency that is Billy Price. At this point in time, its possible that you will see Michael Jordan as a starter on opening day.... Same guy that got Burrow's knee shredded. If Burrow is having confidence issues, it would be hard to blame him.

The issue with the line is this..... Yes, in a perfect world it works. If everyone is healthy and Pollack makes the right changes things "could" go well. But there is no depth - And the Bengals had the cash to make it better and refused to do it.
Agreed.

They may have done enough on the surface to improve the OL - but there isn't much below that surface. Any injury could derail the line.