• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC and the Next Best 3 week 9

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed last week due to my procrastination of getting my gear and bags packed for deer camp, and then the four days of deer camp itself.

I'm bound to an antenna at deer camp, so I only got to watch games that were shown on ABC and CBS(apparently Augusta doesn't have Fox), so the SEC, that basically means the only game I got to watch was Tennessee-Bama, and even then I missed the second half for an evening hunt. So, for the rest of the games all I really have to go on is box scores and brief highlights, but overall, last week was one of the weakest slate of games the conference has to offer this year so I'm gonna be a little light on the intro this week.

Ole Miss bounced back from their stunning loss to Memphis with an impressive defensive showing against A&M. I know that win must make Bama fans just a little bit nervous, and Missouri has hit rock bottom. I mean, sure the defense has looked pretty good, but this offense is historically bad. They couldn't score more points than Vanderbilt.

On to the games.

The Byes

Alabama-
They looked a little wore out in the Tennessee game, they could use the rest.

Missouri- Take the week off and try to come up with something on offense. Right now their goal should be to just make a bowl game.

Mississippi State- Blowout conference win last week, take the week off.

LSU- Essentially their second open date of the season after game 1 was stormed out. They get Bama next week. Rest up.

The Cupcake

Tennessee-Martin @ Arkansas-
Arkansas has struggled this season, but they are coming off an exciting 4 overtime win against Auburn, and maybe that will get them headed in the right direction. There's always something to play for, and an easy game against an FCS school could boost morale even more and lead Arky to a strong finish to the season. Final Score: Arkansas 53-10

You're the Cupcake

Vanderbilt @ Houston-
A road game against an undefeated team probably doesn't bode too well for Vandy. I guess I'm being a bit harsh when I call them a cupcake, I mean they did just beat Missouri, and their defense has been a very pleasant surprise this season. But as good as their defense has been, their offense has been just as bad. Vandy's defense is good enough to keep from getting blown out, but I can't see them scoring enough to pull out the win. Final Score: Houston 28-14

At Least it's a Conference Game

South Carolina @ Texas A&M-
Texas A&M has been taken to the woodshed by both Ole Miss and Alabama. Kyle Allen hasn't looked good at QB and their o-line hasn't done much in terms of protecting him. They have the talent at the skill positions and their defense is a much improved unit over last seasons, but it looks like it'll be at least another year before A&M is contending for the West title. With that said, South Carolina is just a dumpster fire. They don't have a QB, they have one weapon on offense that gets double or triple covered most every play and their defense is basically just a space filler. A&M may have hit some hard times of late, but they still stand taller than the Gamecocks. No revenge to be had this time. Final Score: Texas A&M 35-17

These Could be Interesting

Ole Miss @ Auburn-
Auburn hasn't looked good at all this season, they just lost to Arkansas in 4 overtimes and enter the game with a losing record. One would think this game would be a mismatch, but as we have seen, Ole Miss is capable of laying an egg, and with the game being played at Auburn, Ole Miss better not take them lightly. It was Auburn last year that crushed Ole Miss's season with an upset win at the Grove, and I'm sure they'd love nothing more than to end their SEC title hopes again this season, even if it does benefit their most hated rival. On paper, Ole Miss is the better team, they have a better defense, and when they click, the offense isn't comparable. I don't have any statistical analysis to back up my prediction, I guess you can just call it a gut feeling. I like the upset special here. Final Score: Auburn 24-21

Tennessee @ Kentucky-
Both of these programs are on an upward trend towards the future, they just have had some growing pains in the process. Tennessee could very easily be 7-0 right now, but instead they sit 3-4 with all four losses coming in heartbreaking fashion. Oklahoma, Florida and Arkansas came back from double digit 4th quarter deficits to beat the Vols, and they had a lead over Bama late in the game, but couldn't hold on. Kentucky had opportunities to beat Florida and Auburn, but they were taken to the woodshed last week by Dak Prescott and Mississippi State. With both programs being down for so long, the rivalry aspect has lost a bit of its luster, but these two teams normally produce a fairly exciting game, and I expect no difference this week. In the end, Tennessee has more talent on the roster, and Kentucky isn't exactly a Florida, Bama or Oklahoma, so I expect Tennessee to finally finish a game with season and get back to 500. Tennessee has arguably the easiest schedule left of any SEC team, so 8 wins is a real possibility, and would be a big step in the right direction for the program, of course, they have to win Saturday first, but I'm pretty confident they will. Final Score: Tennessee 35-21

The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party

Georgia vs Florida in Jacksonville-
As a Georgia fan, I consider this game to be the biggest game of the season every year. This is one of the better rivalries in the SEC in terms of hatred between the teams, and the stakes are as high as ever this season. Both teams control their own destiny in the SEC East, and the winner of this game is likely headed to Atlanta to face the SEC champion. If Georgia loses, they are done, if Florida loses, they would still have a shot, but they would need help from Kentucky or Auburn. For Georgia, if they don't find a way to move the ball through the air, they won't be in this game, let alone win it. Sony Michel is a talented back, but he is no Nick Chubb, and he can't handle the load of carries that Chubb could. He's faster, is a better receiver and a decent blocker, but he doesn't have the power-speed combo that Chubb had. If Georgia's game plan is to hand the ball off 40 times, the Gators will be having Bulldog for dinner. I don't expect this game to be high scoring, but if Georgia thinks they can score 9 points and come away with a win in this game, they will have a rude awakening.

For Florida, it's a little more simple. They need to do their job on defense, shut down the run game, and use Treon Harris's running ability to their advantage. I'm sure Florida saw what Josh Dobbs was able to do against Georgia running the ball. I don't think Florida can win by doing what they did last season, only throwing the ball 6 times, Georgia does have a decent defense, but if Treon Harris uses his legs and can complete around 15 passes, I think Florida can come away with the win here.

For the game, it pains me to say it as a Georgia fan, but I just don't see Georgia winning Saturday. Florida has one of the best defenses in the conference and they have arguably the best secondary, and that doesn't bode too well for a team that has struggled mightily in the passing game this season and a quarterback that has looked lost with the exception of the South Carolina game. I see Florida shutting down Georgia's run game, and Grayson Lambert or Brice Ramsey, whichever one starts hasn't shown the ability to be able to lead an offense. The game will be close at half time, probably something like 7-3 or 7-7, but I see Florida's defense taking over in the second half, and Treon Harris running the ball from QB proving problematic for UGA's defense in the second half. Georgia will get a garbage time QB to make the score look closer, but Florida will be in control of the game. Final Score: Florida 24-14

The Next Best 3

Notre Dame @ Temple-
At the beginning of the season, I never would have dreamed that I would be featuring this game. Temple has done a great jib this year with the undefeated record, and a win here will make for some interesting debates. And I have to hand it to Notre Dame. When Zaire went down for the season, I was ready to write off the Irish, but they have looked strong all season. That 2 point road loss to Clemson doesn't look too bad right now. I think Temple can keep this game close in the first half, but I have to think superior talent wins out in the second. Final Score: Notre Dame 38-21

North Carolina @ Pittsburgh-
Both of these teams have surprisingly managed a 6-1 record entering this game. I had already written UNC off after they lost to South Carolina, and honestly, I haven't paid Pitt any attention until I saw them appear in the top 25 this week. North Carolina has been more impressive on offense moving the ball both through the air and on the ground. Pitt hasn't looked pretty, but they have been winning. I expect a close game, but I think UNC's better offense will get them a key conference road win and setup a showdown with Duke for the ACC Coastal title Final Score: North Carolina 31-24

Stanford @ Washington State-
Look, this is an all around weak wee for college football, and I try to feature at least one ranked team in every matchup for the Next Best 3 section of this thread, and honestly, this is the third best game of the week featuring a ranked team and not involving an SEC team. Washington State has rebounded nicely from an embarrassing loss to FCS Portland State. They're 3-1 in Pac play with wins over Arizona, Oregon and Oregon State, and a win here will put them in control of the Pac 12 North. Luke Falk has been impressive at QB, and WSU's passing game ranks second in the country. Stanford has looked like world beaters since their opening week loss to Northwestern. They found their stride in a big way on offense with Hogan passing and sons of legends, Christian McAffrey and Barry Sanders Jr running the rock. I always tend to lean torwards the more balanced attacks, and the more talented team. In this case it is Stanford. They have the defense to slow down WASU's passing attack, and I don't think WSU can stop Stanford. Final Score: Stanford 52-28

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fit it on one post this time. Weak week.