• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seager's May

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seager's marvelous May ends in fitting way
Third baseman homers amid 3-hit, 4-RBI day in rout of Padres to close out month

SEATTLE -- Have yourself a month, Kyle Seager. And you too, Mariners.

The Mariners' third baseman has seen his personal fortunes rise along with that of his team, and Seager was again in on all the fun in the Seattle's 16-4 pasting of the Padres at Safeco Field on Tuesday afternoon that closed out the second month of the season.

Seager singled in Seattle's first run in the first inning, his three-run home run off Padres starter James Shields wrapped up a six-run second inning, and he added a single and a walk. After 31 days of May, Seager enters June with a line of .274/.353/.521 with 10 homers, 33 RBIs and 22 walks to his 29 strikeouts. They're All-Star-type numbers a third of the way through the season, and they're mind-boggling considering where he stood at the end of April.

Cast your Esurance All-Star ballot for Seager and other #ASGWorthy players

Back then, after the Mariners beat the Royals on April 30, he was slashing .159/.266/.378. So it's been quite a turnaround for player and team. Seattle went 13-10 in April after a rough first couple of weeks and before posting a 17-11 record in May.

mlbf_759512883_th_45.jpg
Seager's RBI single
Kyle Seager hits a single into right field, scoring Robinson Cano from second to give the Mariners an early 1-0 lead
"I looked up today and saw him hitting like .274," Mariners manager Scott Servais said. "I said, 'My gosh.' The first month he was hitting .174 or .147, something like that. It says a lot for what he's done over the last 25, 30 games, and really our entire club.

"Everyone's pitched in at one point or another … a great, great effort."

Seager said he put in a lot of work with hitting coach Edgar Martinez in watching film and identifying a few holes he'd developed in his swing. It appears they've been ironed out sufficiently, considering that in the 29 games since April 30, he's hitting .370 (41-for-111) with six homers, 23 RBIs, 10 doubles, two triples and 19 runs scored. He's recorded 13 multi-hit games in that 29-game span and has hits in 24 of them.

He's also maintained a sense of humor, which might be another key to his resurgence.

"When your batting average is low enough, it's not hard to gain that much," Seager said when asked about the enormous mathematical increase. He also lauded this Mariners offense, which is scoring runs at a much brisker pace than any he's been a part of during his tenure in Seattle.

"We have a much deeper lineup, for sure," Seager said. "It's a much more dynamic lineup as well. There's a lot more athleticism than we've had in years past, so that's definitely a good thing.

"It's a good team."

Great month for Kyle. Hope he keeps it up.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I noticed this year is that his usual slow start was much shorter than it has been in the past. Was it last year or the year before that he had similar numbers to what he finished this April with, only he still had those numbers well into May? Regardless, someone needs to hypnotize him to think that March is really April so he can get his slow start out of the way in Spring Training instead of the first month of the season.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's off to a good start in June too. It looks like whatever holes he had in his swing in April are filled in.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seager's a hell of a player.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can only root for the guy, he's class act, always talks team first, and takes the field everyday....

This is one quality I've always thought of when referencing Seager... Definitely a class act on and off the field... Ultimate team guy...

He's finally beginning to play up to my expectations... See if he can continue on at this pace... This is what was expected of him...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's finally beginning to play up to my expectations... See if he can continue on at this pace... This is what was expected of him...
He had a great last 30-35 days, but he's just not gonna hit .370 and a homer+ a week for the rest of the year, and that is not a fair expectation. That's pretty much expecting him to be the best hitter who ever lived.

Now, .300? I think that's a lot more reasonable and achievable. Right now to me he nearly looks like a left-handed Edgar. Maybe that's what you meant and I took it wrong....

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, .300? I think that's a lot more reasonable and achievable. Right now to me he nearly looks like a left-handed Edgar. Maybe that's what you meant and I took it wrong....

Yeah, I was referring to his entire season so far... Agreed, unrealistic to expect him to play the way he did in May for the rest of the year...

My whole point the last few years is Seattle fans seemed to label him as one of the top 3-5, 3B in the ML's... I didn't agree with that... Top 10? Sure... He's now playing up to the expectations as one of the top 3-5, 3B in the ML's...

M's fans wanted to put him there - now he's finally playing up to the expectations...