• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saturday Night Live (SNL)

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good movie but if you don't like Ferrell them name some comedy from the past 15 years that you liked.

All comedians have flaws. I can't imagine not liking Anchorman, Talladega Nights or The Other Guys.
I agree with those two. I thought he did a good job in Austin Power too.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eras of SNL get romanticized by fans that only watched those particular eras and not any others. I've watched almost every episode ever, and from its inception to today, they're all hit or miss in terms of quality of writing and performing. The only exception being anything with Farley, everything he touched turned to gold.

It's similar to sports, in that we look back on highlight of players and forget any bad play they ever had and just pretend like they were kicking ass every single play that they were on the field for.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good movie but if you don't like Ferrell them name some comedy from the past 15 years that you liked.

All comedians have flaws. I can't imagine not liking Anchorman, Talladega Nights or The Other Guys.

and Step Brothers!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
46. Kenan Thompson

wtf? really?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eras of SNL get romanticized by fans that only watched those particular eras and not any others. I've watched almost every episode ever, and from its inception to today, they're all hit or miss in terms of quality of writing and performing. The only exception being anything with Farley, everything he touched turned to gold.

It's similar to sports, in that we look back on highlight of players and forget any bad play they ever had and just pretend like they were kicking ass every single play that they were on the field for.
I think the first few years get more love than they deserve, partially because at times they were packaged up into nice little chunks. If you watch the entire episodes - I always felt they were as hit and miss as most of the different casts and seasons were.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the first few years get more love than they deserve, partially because at times they were packaged up into nice little chunks. If you watch the entire episodes - I always felt they were as hit and miss as most of the different casts and seasons were.

That is the way ALL SNL should be viewed.

Every episode should be be edited down to the best 15-20 minutes and the rest tossed in the dumpster (minus the guest band performances, which is an entirely seperate issue).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I totally agree. Its always been pretty hit or miss. I'd say the main difference now is that SNL has a lot more competition. We're in a golden age of TV right now. We have more good TV than any single person could ever watch playing all of the time.

I feel like all comedians are overrated when taken out of their wheelhouse because their wheelhouse is what makes them funny. I love Bill Murray and Robin Williams but you have to admit that they are pretty freaking weird. I was watching Taxi the other day. Every cast member just as weird as the guys going things now. Same stuff, different day. You just have to appreciate the guys that nail it.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

<golf clap>

The early years tend to be only viewed in retrospectives, where they edit out all the stinkers. ANY live comedy show has about a 50% hit rate at best. The first years of SNL were like that too. We've just edited those lousy sketches from our memory.

Now there have been some groups (short-lived) where you think, 'wtf Lorne?', but overall, the show has remained relevant. Micheals spots talent, even if he doesn't utilize it perfectly. That list was interesting for the people who have gone on to do much better after leaving SNL.

Hank should know better as a Canadian, because Candy/Levy and the rest of the SCTV gang had their share of simply awful sketches over the years too, but it's just the great ones that get remembered.

Hanks is just pulling his usual 'get off my lawn!' routine.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the way ALL SNL should be viewed.

Every episode should be be edited down to the best 15-20 minutes and the rest tossed in the dumpster (minus the guest band performances, which is an entirely seperate issue).

Can't disagree more. It's that risky sketch live comedy that makes comedians great. Sink or swim. The show MUST go on.

Keep shooting until you have 20 minutes of good stuff? Meh.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't disagree that Belushi is over-rated, I still think he was pretty g-d'd funny. Farly was a bad impression of Belushi.

Yeah Belushi may have gotten the dead guy bump here but but he was truly great. He had a comic presence without even doing anything that Farley could have only dreamt about. I liked Farley but he was pretty much a 1-trick pony with his variations of "manic guy".

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't disagree more. It's that risky sketch live comedy that makes comedians great. Sink or swim. The show MUST go on.

Keep shooting until you have 20 minutes of good stuff? Meh.

Not what I was suggesting. The live format is integral to the show. I am saying that if you want to go back and review any era of SNL that it would be a much better viewing experience to watch the highlights as opposed to watching entire episodes when the majority of the sketches are not that good.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not what I was suggesting. The live format is integral to the show. I am saying that if you want to go back and review any era of SNL that it would be a much better viewing experience to watch the highlights as opposed to watching entire episodes when the majority of the sketches are not that good.

A friend of mine made a 5 hour chronological SNL "clip show" DVD for me about a year ago...including 90 min. of their best music guest performances over the yrs... and it's awesome.

Last edited:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanks is just pulling his usual 'get off my lawn!' routine.

You should see my lawn.

Proud of it.

Neighbourhood dogs shit on it frequently.

Now Schitt's Creek, Eugene Levy and Maureen O'Hara, speaking of funny canuck shows....

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Got ya. Agree 100 %.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should see my lawn.

Proud of it.

Neighbourhood dogs shit on it frequently.

Now Schitt's Creek, Eugene Levy and Maureen O'Hara, speaking of funny canuck shows....

It's better than Corner Gas, I'll give it that.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SNL has always been the same. Good, funny skits the first half, lame skits the second half.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The list is unavailable when I click the link. But if Farley isn't in the top 10, it's for the best.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't get over Tina Fucking Fey at 3. Ridiculous.

The whole rest of the list is moot, after that.