• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Saturday Night Football: Lions @ Cowboys, 12/30/23, 8:15 ET

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is full of bad takes. But this is the dumbest one I've seen yet.

After Decker reports to the ref and Skinner doesn't they get in a huddle and focus on the play the QB is calling. Ref walks away and tells the defense that somebody is eligible. Even if the Ref wasn't 10+ yards away with his back to them and even if the crowd was completely silent and even if the Lions weren't huddled up to call a play they probably still wouldn't have been paying attention to make sure the ref didn't forget who he talked to 3 seconds ago.

After that the Lions are lining up with less than 10 seconds on the play clock when they announce over the speakers the wrong player was eligible. But they were out of timeouts so literally no way to correct anything.

Maybe if the Lions would have reported correctly the play would have been fine? Oh, they did that. The refs fucked up.

Maybe if the Lions knew they were going to run a trick or at least tricky play they should have warned the refs before the game? Oh, they did that. The refs still fucked up.

Maybe if the Likns knew the play was tricky and the Head Referee didn't show up to the meeting before the game where Dan Campbell went over the tricky play, he should still pull justbthe head ref aside personally and quickly go over it with him again? Oh, they even did that. The refs just fucked up.
How is it dumb? With 70 being deemed eligible it meant 68 could not be the receiver.

As for reporting correctly we can agree to disagree as they reported it to decieve.

Well at least there deception worked, I guess Campbell was afraid to play Dallas straight up.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here this puts to rest the claim Decker correctly reported. He DID NOT. 70 However did report as eligible.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here this puts to rest the claim Decker correctly reported. He DID NOT. 70 However did report as eligible.

This is just CYA spin doctoring after the fact because that’s what you have to do. The officiating crew blew it. It’s a bad crew and that’s why they aren’t getting a playoff assignment this year. If you can’t manage the procedures of the game, you have no business officiating games. This is not on Campbell, Decker, or #70.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is full of bad takes. But this is the dumbest one I've seen yet.

After Decker reports to the ref and Skinner doesn't they get in a huddle and focus on the play the QB is calling. Ref walks away and tells the defense that somebody is eligible. Even if the Ref wasn't 10+ yards away with his back to them and even if the crowd was completely silent and even if the Lions weren't huddled up to call a play they probably still wouldn't have been paying attention to make sure the ref didn't forget who he talked to 3 seconds ago.

After that the Lions are lining up with less than 10 seconds on the play clock when they announce over the speakers the wrong player was eligible. But they were out of timeouts so literally no way to correct anything.

Maybe if the Lions would have reported correctly the play would have been fine? Oh, they did that. The refs fucked up.

Maybe if the Lions knew they were going to run a trick or at least tricky play they should have warned the refs before the game? Oh, they did that. The refs still fucked up.

Maybe if the Likns knew the play was tricky and the Head Referee didn't show up to the meeting before the game where Dan Campbell went over the tricky play, he should still pull justbthe head ref aside personally and quickly go over it with him again? Oh, they even did that. The refs just fucked up.
Cowboys fans proving that they deserved Dez's catch being botched by the refs.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just CYA spin doctoring after the fact because that’s what you have to do. The officiating crew blew it. It’s a bad crew and that’s why they aren’t getting a playoff assignment this year. If you can’t manage the procedures of the game, you have no business officiating games. This is not on Campbell, Decker, or #70.
Totally disagree. This is Blandino's quote:

“If a coach told officials that, the officials would tell them they couldn’t do it,” Blandino said. “The referee would never go along with that and would make sure the defense knew exactly who was reporting.”

That quote is 100% true. I don't get how you can disagree with it at all.

Getting to the arguable parts of the discussion...My guess is Campbell is to a degree misrepresenting exactly what was and wasn't stated in the pre-game discussion. He's pissed off his deception (and he's admitted to the attempted deception) didn't work and he's kicking and screaming about it. The simple fact is no ref is ever going to purposely not inform the defense who is eligible and no ref is ever going to not say a guy is eligible if it is communicated to him properly AND he hears it AND he remembers it AND doesn't get confused himself. Somewhere during all of the "ands" in that last sentence something went wrong. I still think either he didn't hear it or he just got confused in the rush of the moment. Both would be on him from what you can piece together from the replays. But, again, the biggest issue is that if he heard it properly and did the right thing which is tell the Dallas defense, there is no way anyone can say the play would have been successful or not.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally disagree. This is Blandino's quote:
This is where I stopped reading because Dean Blandino is an NFL mouthpiece and an apologist for officials since he retired. He has his marching orders and I don’t give a fuck what he has to say. All the video is out there.
“If a coach told officials that, the officials would tell them they couldn’t do it,” Blandino said. “The referee would never go along with that and would make sure the defense knew exactly who was reporting.”

That quote is 100% true. I don't get how you can disagree with it at all.

Getting to the arguable parts of the discussion...My guess is Campbell is to a degree misrepresenting exactly what was and wasn't stated in the pre-game discussion. He's pissed off his deception (and he's admitted to the attempted deception) didn't work and he's kicking and screaming about it. The simple fact is no ref is ever going to purposely not inform the defense who is eligible and no ref is ever going to not say a guy is eligible if it is communicated to him properly AND he hears it AND he remembers it AND doesn't get confused himself. Somewhere during all of the "ands" in that last sentence something went wrong. I still think either he didn't hear it or he just got confused in the rush of the moment. Both would be on him from what you can piece together from the replays. But, again, the biggest issue is that if he heard it properly and did the right thing which is tell the Dallas defense, there is no way anyone can say the play would have been successful or not.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I stopped reading because Dean Blandino is an NFL mouthpiece and an apologist for officials since he retired. He has his marching orders and I don’t give a fuck what he has to say. All the video is out there.
If you didn't read the quote describing it as "CYA spin doctoring after the fact" is kind of silly. I guess you just assumed what he said based on your bias against him.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 day rule.

time to move on.

lion fans, cowboy fans and the ONE butthurt eagle fan
Who made you the fucking hall monitor? Shove your hall monitor sash up your ass

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting used to it
I won't gloat because I've seen my team implode on the road a few times already this year, so I have no delusions the division is wrapped up

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The video released bybthe NFL had almost nothing to do with what thecref screwed up. It was a fangent and 100% spin doctoring trying to control the narative.

The commentary added by whoever that was isnt even correct.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still pissed?

even faceless you seem real small
The next decent football comment you make on this board will actually be your first. You’re a troll and a no talent ass clown.