• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary Cap discussion

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think of the salary cap? I know it doesnt matter what we think as fans but it just seems like some of it sucks. I know one of the reasons for it is so the smaller markets can compete better and you dont have a team like the Yankees that go out and get the best players every year. With that being said, is it fair for a team to draft a player in the 5th round and he turn him into a superstar and then not be able to keep him because of a cap situation. I know there are franchise tags and restrictions , etc. but it just doesnt seem right. Im mainly talking about the Seahawks. I mean is it fair to penalize them for nailing all of these draft picks. I was probably one of the few watching their game the other night and they showed some of their salaries. That team will be split up in probably 2 yrs. They cant pay all of those guys and stay under the cap. Sherman is the best CB in the league and he was drafted in the 5th round. They had about 8 pro bowl caliber players making under 1 million dollars.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point but you have to look at it from the players perspective too. THey should have the right to choose where they want to live and what "business" team they want to work for. Its like the old story.... would it be fair if you were an extremely talented lawyer coming out of Harvard and the law firms had a draft and it was mandatory that you worked in a 1/3rd world country for the rest of your career? Imagine being stuck in that flat dust bowl of a city name Dallas forever. I kid, I kid!

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with free agency or anything like that. I just think you should have a chance to sign your players if you want to. Take the Seattle secondary. There is no way in 3 yrs all of those guys will be together. If Dallas offers Richard Sherman 10 million , then I think Seattle should be able to as well. Then he make the choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freeman McNeil made sure they don't get stuck in a 3rd world country team. That part has nothing to do with a Salary Cap. Salary Cap was brought about to make sure it wasn't Dallas & the Niners dictating which team won the Super bowls. I think it would be cool since you brought it up about your own draft picks, if they could come up with a formula to where your own players from the draft s contracts only count by about 2/3rds the contract or whatever percentage. Imagine a 100 mil contract only counting as a 66.7 mil against the cap. It would make trying to keep your players more important. Then teams that are more successful through their draft can spend more kinda like a reward for grooming your players, instead of acting like a farm team for whoever saved up cap space for the season the year your draft picks become FA.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freeman McNeil made sure they don't get stuck in a 3rd world country team. That part has nothing to do with a Salary Cap. Salary Cap was brought about to make sure it wasn't Dallas & the Niners dictating which team won the Super bowls. I think it would be cool since you brought it up about your own draft picks, if they could come up with a formula to where your own players from the draft s contracts only count by about 2/3rds the contract or whatever percentage. Imagine a 100 mil contract only counting as a 66.7 mil against the cap. It would make trying to keep your players more important. Then teams that are more successful through their draft can spend more kinda like a reward for grooming your players, instead of acting like a farm team for whoever saved up cap space for the season the year your draft picks become FA.

Bad idea. The cap is the cap. You wouldn't have problems signing your own drat picks if that was all you signed. All this would accomplish is raising everyones cap and raising certain players salaries because they only count x% against the cap. So then when a true free agent is looking for a contract he will want that much also even though his salary will count 100% and the franchise tag salaries would go up also. The current cap isn't perfect, but it works fine for what it is supposed to do. We try to outsmart it every year and that is why we are always maneuvering around it.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad idea. The cap is the cap. You wouldn't have problems signing your own drat picks if that was all you signed. All this would accomplish is raising everyones cap and raising certain players salaries because they only count x% against the cap. So then when a true free agent is looking for a contract he will want that much also even though his salary will count 100% and the franchise tag salaries would go up also. The current cap isn't perfect, but it works fine for what it is supposed to do. We try to outsmart it every year and that is why we are always maneuvering around it.
yeah just throwing it out there. Not a ton of thought was/is put into it on my part.
But it is true. if you have an amazing draft one year or even two years in a row. it is a shame you will be letting some of those guys walk. Simply cant afford too many top players. Unless they are all selfless. Which when dealing with short windows of opportunity isnt gonna happen.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look I just think you should be able to go over the cap with your own players. I dont know how this would work . I think the NBA has a way of doing it, not sure. I know Kobe made 26 million 1 yr or something to that effect. Free Agency to me only should be used to augment your team. It should not be your team. Your team should be players you drafted and developed. Take Brandon Carr- maybe he is worth 50 million to play in KCs defense, but now he comes to Dallas and plays zone and he doesnt look like an elite type CB anymore. This was the case with Namdi as well. Heck he cant even get on the field anymore. Something put Richard Sherman in the 5th round - maybe it was his mouth but Seattle took him , coached him up and very soon they will have to come to a decision on whether to keep him. Now if Sherman wants to play somewhere else when his first contract is up then fine, but at least let Seattle have a chance to go after him.