• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson rides into Pittsburgh

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP Carl Weathers
559aea9d5fe6f0bd6693225b96e5f368_w200.gif

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money he earns in 2024 would offset money earned from the Broncos - so there's no point him earning money in 2024. If he signed a 2 year deal the money he earned in 2025 would not offset the Broncos money in 2024. Thus he could sign a 2 year deal with 90%+ of the money due in the 2nd year. Either way playing for free and potentially getting hurt isn't good business.

If Wilson and Payton weren't such insufferable pricks they could probably have gotten along for another year where Wilson got money in 2025 guarantees for playing for the Broncos in 2024. Wilson would have earned more that way than he's going to playing for the Steelers. The Broncos would have a better QB for 2024 and they could delay the 24/25 cap damage until 25/26.

Then again they both deserve this.
Except you delay the turnaround another year if you keep Russ and cut him next year.

Right now they’re free and clear after 2025. Take your lumps now and set yourself up for the future. If you keep Russ this year then all you’re doing is pushing the can down the road and right back to where you are now only with another year down.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except you delay the turnaround another year if you keep Russ and cut him next year.

Right now they’re free and clear after 2025. Take your lumps now and set yourself up for the future. If you keep Russ this year then all you’re doing is pushing the can down the road and right back to where you are now only with another year down.
I fully accept that, but I think another year adding $6-9M would have been good business for both sides. I don't think the Broncos were going to fix everything in 1 offseason.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos will be paying for this mistake for two more years. Solid win for the Steelers.
The Broncos moved on while the Steelers are still stuck with his suck.

Advantage Broncos.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not here to say Russ makes this team a contender... But I am here to say this was the best move available. They weren't going to invest high draft capital to acquire Fields, nor were they going to put $30-40m on the table to sign another FA QB.

Getting Russ for pennies is a big win. We will have to wait & see how this shakes out. But the Steelers are committed to running the ball heavily, so that should (in theory) take the pressure off whomever starts at QB. They need a smart & efficient QB, not a gamechanger. They should be able to get that out of Russ or Kenny this season. But the team still has a lot of work to do on the OL to make it all work.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos moved on while the Steelers are still stuck with his suck.

Advantage Broncos.
They didn't move on. They have two years of the largest dead cap hits ever.

The Steelers aren't even paying him anything whatsoever and can cut him whenever for no penalty.

He sucks in pre season, cut him. No biggie. He throws 5 int's by week 3 and breaks his leg, cut him no biggie. Not one penny of cost.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't move on. They have two years of the largest dead cap hits ever.

The Steelers aren't even paying him anything whatsoever and can cut him whenever for no penalty.

He sucks in pre season, cut him. No biggie. He throws 5 int's by week 3 and breaks his leg, cut him no biggie. Not one penny of cost.
You have no QB. The Broncos are better positioned to get one since they don't think Wilson is the answer.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have no QB. The Broncos are better positioned to get one since they don't think Wilson is the answer.
We weren't going to get one this year anyway. Too low to draft one without mortgaging future. And the good ones on the market went for 30 Million.

We got a game manager for a run first offense. Easier to build pieces around him now, too.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We weren't going to get one this year anyway. Too low to draft one without mortgaging future. And the good ones on the market went for 30 Million.

We got a game manager for a run first offense. Easier to build pieces around him now, too.
I agree that it's a move that shows you don't want to win any time soon.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it's a move that shows you don't want to win any time soon.
You're the guy that thinks teams should bend over backwards to accommodate CTE sufferer, AB. So I'll take your disapproval accordingly.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the guy that thinks teams should bend over backwards to accommodate CTE sufferer, AB. So I'll take your disapproval accordingly.
Let's see you missed out on a great WR.
Won nothing.
And aren't winning anything now.

Brown, currently in jail if I heard right, is doing better than the Steelers are.
Ravens have the MVP.
Bengals have the golden arm.
Even the lowly Browns have jumped you.
Back when you had Antonio you were bouncing around the top.
Now you are bouncing around the bottom.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won nothing.

Brown, currently in jail if I heard right, is doing better than the Steelers are.
Ravens have the MVP.

Funny, I remember the Steelers playing just as deep into the playoffs last year as the Eagles. At least the Steelers lost to the 2 seed...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, I remember the Steelers playing just as deep into the playoffs last year as the Eagles. At least the Steelers lost to the 2 seed...
The Eagles didn't make the playoffs as far as I know.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won nothing.

Ravens have the MVP.
Ravens have the MVP... which equated to 1 playoff win.
Bengals have the golden arm... which equated to finishing dead last in the division. Kudos.
Browns jumped us... Which equated to the same amount of playoff wins as the Steelers.

You sure make it seem like there is some sort of grand disparity between the Steelers and the rest of its division. There really isn't.

The Steelers were able to sneak into the playoffs with a 3rd string QB at the helm. They really didn't have much business being there given all the injuries they had, but that just goes to show that they really aren't that far off from the best the AFC has to offer.