• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson rides into Pittsburgh

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For vet minimum? No, I didn't think he'd play. It doesn't make business sense to me. He could earn more than vet minimum off the field. If the Steelers are guaranteeing him money in 2025 that he won't have to play for - IE delayed payment for 2024 to get around the offset, or a genuine 2 year deal where 90% of the money is in the 2nd year - yes, I thought he'd do that. Then again Wilson and the Broncos falling out to the extent that both of them get screwed in this situation doesn't make sense either. Wilson could have agreed to a lesser 2025 guarantee, (maybe $9M). That could have kept him in Denver as a starter with more 2025 money as a pay off than he's going to get from the Steelers in 2024. It's a ego-fuelled mess.

If Wilson stayed in Denver, he'd still be with Sean Payton, who did everything he could to undermine and humiliate Wilson. I think Wilson mentally checked out on the Broncos when they tried to get him to change his contract.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact Denver is paying Russ to play for Pitt is a win for Pitt. Plus Pickett sucks.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Pittsburgh, Wilson will have a running game, a much better defense and a competent OL.

For those of you who haven't followed Wilson, he's played behind woefully subpar OL's and running for his life his entire career and that came to a head when Wilson challenged Pete Carroll and John Schneider for ignoring his OL protection for years and tried to get Carroll and Schneider fired.

Denver? No defense and no running game, a shitty OL and receivers who failed to regularly get separation.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wilson stayed in Denver, he'd still be with Sean Payton, who did everything he could to undermine and humiliate Wilson. I think Wilson mentally checked out on the Broncos when they tried to get him to change his contract.
I agree. For sure I blame Payton for most of the breakdown. He's trying to be an unstoppable force. Wilson thought he'd still be worth at least $20M+ per season so he became the immovable object. Wilson thought wrong, and that extra $37M has gone. Both of them deserve the costly divorce they've ended up with.

Would that mean the Steelers are the unscrupulous scumbag lawyers? No, I can't possibly say that. ;)

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna sit here and say Russ is great but a couple of thoughts come to mind here. First off, Pickett just isn't very good and despite Rudolph's late season mini success, he isn't an NFL starter and we all know that. Secondly, what the Steelers do fits a lot better with Russ' skillset than anything Sean Payton dials up. Russ still has the arm to throw the deep ball and Pittsburgh has a couple weapons that can get there. And the Steelers will run the ball and have a very good defense. And as has been said, it really doesn't cost them anything. This is likely the best possible landing spot for Russ to save his career. He is obviously not the difference maker he once was but he is experienced and can do the things Pittsburgh has always been known for.
Now having said that, the Steelers aren't exactly chasing a SB ring here and Russ isn't going to change that in all likelihood but this is a good move for the here and now for both of them.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Pittsburgh, Wilson will have a running game, a much better defense and a competent OL.

For those of you who haven't followed Wilson, he's played behind woefully subpar OL's and running for his life his entire career and that came to a head when Wilson challenged Pete Carroll and John Schneider for ignoring his OL protection for years and tried to get Carroll and Schneider fired.

Denver? No defense and no running game, a shitty OL and receivers who failed to regularly get separation.

The Broncos had the 7th best O-line last year according to pro football focus. The Steelers weren’t even in the top 15.

Also Denver gave up 70 points and 726 yards to Miami and yet still finished better than 3 teams in Total Defense and only 8 behind the Steelers(29th to their 21st).

Also Pittsburgh had the 13th best run game compared to Denver at 18th.

So please tell me again how completely bad Denver was compared to Pittsburgh, cause numbers don’t add up.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin might just best RW's ass if he continues to hold onto the ball instead of throwing it away.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, why don't I just go eat some hay, make things out of clay, lay by the bay? I just may! What do ya say!?
IlTqO7.gif

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos had the 7th best O-line last year according to pro football focus. The Steelers weren’t even in the top 15.

Also Denver gave up 70 points and 726 yards to Miami and yet still finished better than 3 teams in Total Defense and only 8 behind the Steelers(29th to their 21st).

Also Pittsburgh had the 13th best run game compared to Denver at 18th.

So please tell me again how completely bad Denver was compared to Pittsburgh, cause numbers don’t add up.
This is true.

Pitt needs to fix the OL. And they dumped parts of that already in Mason Cole and Chuks. They have 3/5 of a quality line right now with Daniels, Seumalo and Broderick Jones. Need a RT and an OC. One of those probably gets filled in FA and the other in the draft. And they have the cap space to see that done.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as i hate to say it, the Steelers picked up Wilson for nothing, not really a gamble at all on their part. From what I understand, they can cut him at any time should he not work out? Probably have a #2 in mind that they will bring in to develop behind Wilson? This was the best(or even great?) situation available to them, gave up nothing!

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious as to what guarantees Wilson is receiving. Is there something that prevents the Steelers from blindsiding the World, moving up in the Draft to get a QB, and then saying to Wilson 'Thanks. Here's your $1.2M guarantee. You can go now'?