• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russel Westbrooks Greatness Will Be Decided

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no i'm not a Russel Westbrook fan. In fact I hated him. The downfall of the Lakers and the rise of the new generation of superstars was marked by Russel Westbrook and Kevin Durant. Back in 2011, a still effective Kobe and company lost to the Thunder 4-1. I still thought we could beat the kids after being swept by the eventual Champion Mavericks. Yet, years ago, when I saw Kevin play in his first year in the league i had never seen anyone like him. He was really lanky, a lot like Brandon Ingram. I was really impressed by Kevin. He won the MVP as I thought he would. But then somewhere along the line I heard MJ say something that i hadn't heard him say before, and about the other guy.

“The thing about him that very few basketball players have is his passion for the game. … Every time I play the game of basketball, when I stepped onto that floor, I always felt like there was someone there who never saw me play the game of basketball, and that motivated me every single night. This kid has the same passion. And you can’t give that. That’s a sense of respect for the game.”

This is Russel first year without Kevin the former MVP. If you dont think thats a shadow I don't know what is. If you dont think the man was the focus of every and all defenses i cant explain anything to you. He had to live up to a talent that was universally praised. I didnt know what to expect from the Veteran, yes hes a veteran, of 9 years.

2016 - 17 MPG FG% 3P% FT% PPG RPG APG
SEASON
34.6 42.5 34.3 84.5 31.6 10.7 10.4
CAREER STATS 34.1 43.3 31.3 82.3 22.7 6.2 7.9

He stepped it up. You can talk shit about his overall numbers. But you cant talk shit about what hes done this season. He has had one of the greatest seasons of all time. And Kobe had a word to say,

On if Westbrook reminds Kobe most of himself…

“In approach to the game: 100 percent. He’s aggressive and he’s unapologetic about it. At the same time, there are some other 2-guards around the league that have similar skills as far as shooting the long ball, post-up, mid-range. James Harden, Klay Thompson.”

Russel Westbrooks greatness will be decided by his first year on his own. And most especially, in the playoffs. Let the pressure build, and the cream rise to the top.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no i'm not a Russel Westbrook fan. In fact I hated him. The downfall of the Lakers and the rise of the new generation of superstars was marked by Russel Westbrook and Kevin Durant. Back in 2011, a still effective Kobe and company lost to the Thunder 4-1. I still thought we could beat the kids after being swept by the eventual Champion Mavericks. Yet, years ago, when I saw Kevin play in his first year in the league i had never seen anyone like him. He was really lanky, a lot like Brandon Ingram. I was really impressed by Kevin. He won the MVP as I thought he would. But then somewhere along the line I heard MJ say something that i hadn't heard him say before, and about the other guy.

“The thing about him that very few basketball players have is his passion for the game. … Every time I play the game of basketball, when I stepped onto that floor, I always felt like there was someone there who never saw me play the game of basketball, and that motivated me every single night. This kid has the same passion. And you can’t give that. That’s a sense of respect for the game.”

This is Russel first year without Kevin the former MVP. If you dont think thats a shadow I don't know what is. If you dont think the man was the focus of every and all defenses i cant explain anything to you. He had to live up to a talent that was universally praised. I didnt know what to expect from the Veteran, yes hes a veteran, of 9 years.

2016 - 17 MPG FG% 3P% FT% PPG RPG APG
SEASON
34.6 42.5 34.3 84.5 31.6 10.7 10.4
CAREER STATS 34.1 43.3 31.3 82.3 22.7 6.2 7.9

He stepped it up. You can talk shit about his overall numbers. But you cant talk shit about what hes done this season. He has had one of the greatest seasons of all time. And Kobe had a word to say,

On if Westbrook reminds Kobe most of himself…

“In approach to the game: 100 percent. He’s aggressive and he’s unapologetic about it. At the same time, there are some other 2-guards around the league that have similar skills as far as shooting the long ball, post-up, mid-range. James Harden, Klay Thompson.”

Russel Westbrooks greatness will be decided by his first year on his own. And most especially, in the playoffs. Let the pressure build, and the cream rise to the top.

He has been cemented as a superstar in the game today. Greatness will be decided by winning in the playoffs either with OKC or elsewhere in the future. Nothing less.

Fair or not, If KD wins rings and Russ gets nothing, the luster of his accomplishments this year will fade. The triple double will never be forgotten, but Russ will end up in the category with Allen Iverson and Charles Barkley if he never wins.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook has to play exceptionally well in these playoffs for his stock to stay where it is or rise. Ok City doesn't have to win though. most people who matter understand this is a 25 win team without him.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook has to play exceptionally well in these playoffs for his stock to stay where it is or rise. Ok City doesn't have to win though. most people who matter understand this is a 25 win team without him.

Not this year.

OP is talking about greatness though.

If he finishes his career with 1 Finals appearance, he will not be listed among all time greats no matter what the stat sheet says. Any legit superstar can take a 25 win team to the playoffs.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not this year.

OP is talking about greatness though.

If he finishes his career with 1 Finals appearance, he will not be listed among all time greats no matter what the stat sheet says. Any legit superstar can take a 25 win team to the playoffs.

Clearly winning matters.
He could still be in Oscar Robertson, Stockton/Malone, Barkley, etc level rating without titles.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly winning matters.
He could still be in Oscar Robertson, Stockton/Malone, Barkley, etc level rating without titles.

Eh.

More like Iverson, Tiny ARchibald, guys like that. Maybe Stockton. Malone and Robertson are a good bit ahead of the others mentioned (on my list anyway).

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been cemented as a superstar in the game today. Greatness will be decided by winning in the playoffs either with OKC or elsewhere in the future. Nothing less.

Fair or not, If KD wins rings and Russ gets nothing, the luster of his accomplishments this year will fade. The triple double will never be forgotten, but Russ will end up in the category with Allen Iverson and Charles Barkley if he never wins.

As you say, fair or unfair championships matter.
In Westbrook's case, he could have walked but he signed an extension that keeps him with OKC till he's pushing 32 years old. I don't see them signing a great player to complement him so it's highly unlikely he'll win one before his contract is up. That leases the older player signs with a loaded team play as his best chance, but it won't be quite the same.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh.

More like Iverson, Tiny ARchibald, guys like that. Maybe Stockton. Malone and Robertson are a good bit ahead of the others mentioned (on my list anyway).

He is better than Iverson, Archibald had some great seasons, but none quite as good as RW had this year. RW is 28 though and he's just reaching this lofty ground. Can he retain enough into his 30s to put together a great resume ?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you say, fair or unfair championships matter.
In Westbrook's case, he could have walked but he signed an extension that keeps him with OKC till he's pushing 32 years old. I don't see them signing a great player to complement him so it's highly unlikely he'll win one before his contract is up. That leases the older player signs with a loaded team play as his best chance, but it won't be quite the same.

He also played about 5 years on a loaded roster plenty good enough to win already. Let's not act like he is a victim of bad rosters his entire career.

Lastly, he is a free agent after next year.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also played about 5 years on a loaded roster plenty good enough to win already. Let's not act like he is a victim of bad rosters his entire career.

Lastly, he is a free agent after next year.

He had a couple of years with Harden, but that was before Harden was the player he is now, and their games never really complimented each other. Harden's strength is running the offense through the top of the key, that takes a lot of Russell's ability out of the offense.
They were excellent last season but GS was far deeper and more versatile .
He sure hasn't had the advantages Magic, Bird and many other big time winners had.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a couple of years with Harden, but that was before Harden was the player he is now, and their games never really complimented each other. Harden's strength is running the offense through the top of the key, that takes a lot of Russell's ability out of the offense.
They were excellent last season but GS was far deeper and more versatile .
He sure hasn't had the advantages Magic, Bird and many other big time winners had.

Kevin Durant.

Again, name a time in history when two top 5 players played in the same team for 5 years or more and failed to win at least one title.

I will give you a hint. It has never happened.

Not like those two were alone either. Ibaka, Adams, Kanter are all good. Roberson is a high quality role player and Waiters should have been an excellent 6th man.

Problem was the ball didn't move enough and most of that was on the point guard.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Iverson, Barkley? Pretty damn good company if you ask me, as far as on the court anyway. Throw Malone in there as well. Westbrook is more of a competitor than Durant will ever be, and most know that. Durant is not going to get any credit for winning titles on a team that didn't need him, not from people that know the score anyway.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know they win 25 without him, more like 18.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iverson, Barkley? Pretty damn good company if you ask me, as far as on the court anyway. Throw Malone in there as well. Westbrook is more of a competitor than Durant will ever be, and most know that. Durant is not going to get any credit for winning titles on a team that didn't need him, not from people that know the score anyway.

You are correct he is more of a competitor, but that can be a flaw at times too if a player is TOO competitive and lets emotion affect decision making.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, its a 25 win team WITHOUT a SUPERSTAR
You can say that for almost every playoff team

What the fuck is Indiana, Houston, Cleveland, or (even San Antonio) without their alpha dog superstar??
That accolade makes little sense to me.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, its a 25 win team WITHOUT a SUPERSTAR
You can say that for almost every playoff team

What the fuck is Indiana, Houston, Cleveland, or (even San Antonio) without their alpha dog superstar??
That accolade makes little sense to me.
Never seen a cuss word from horn. You pissed him off bro. LMAO.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I curse all the time on the POLITICS forum.

That is a cesspool of anger not for the feint of heart. Nothing ever gets accomplished in that forum.
If you don't curse and rage, you get swallowed up in craziness

The NBA forum is probably the politest and most content driven forum.

It probably comes the closest in achieving the goal of being a friendly group of fans who love something.

There is little need to curse in the NBA forums.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying a guy has to be on a championship winning team to be considered great is ridiculous.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I curse all the time on the POLITICS forum.

That is a cesspool of anger not for the feint of heart. Nothing ever gets accomplished in that forum.
If you don't curse and rage, you get swallowed up in craziness

The NBA forum is probably the politest and most content driven forum.

It probably comes the closest in achieving the goal of being a friendly group of fans who love something.

There is little need to curse in the NBA forums.
Well then, i got your plus one.