• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rusney Castillo

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday, reports had Tigers, Phillies, Yankees, Cubs, Mariners, Red Sox still in it. Six teams seen as serious players for Castillo with deal coming soon - CBSSports.com

Today they are saying it is down to Red Sox, Tigers, and Giants. Rusney Castillo sweepstakes down to Red Sox, Tigers, Giants - Over the Monster

He is a little taller than Pedroia, but has super speed and a pretty good bat. He's 27 and wants to play this season. Carrer OPS+ of 123. Last three years his OPS has stayed above .900.

And look at his career:
Rusney Castillo Stats, Scouting Report, and Video | Obstructed View

Last edited by a moderator:

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He picked Boston.

They blew him away with a record $72m/6 year offer (for players coming out of Cuba).

Described as 'Brett Gardner with power', he should give Boston the help they need in the OF. Castillo has made it know that he want to play this season... With the acquisition of another Cuban, Cespedes, The Sox now have a overstocked outfield... This winter should be very interesting in Boston...

Red Sox signing Rusney Castillo to record deal - Over the Monster

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He picked Boston.

They blew him away with a record $72m/6 year offer (for players coming out of Cuba).

Described as 'Brett Gardner with power', he should give Boston the help they need in the OF. Castillo has made it know that he want to play this season... With the acquisition of another Cuban, Cespedes, The Sox now have a overstocked outfield... This winter should be very interesting in Boston...

Red Sox signing Rusney Castillo to record deal - Over the Monster

I would be very happy if he ended up being "Gardner with power."

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brilliantly, Cherrington is adding this year as a 7th year to the contract!

The total deal worth $72.5m is now only $10.36m/yr towards the luxury tax. If signed, it will run through 2020 when Rusney is 33...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuban Rusney Castillo to sign record deal with Red Sox

Side issue... I hate when sports reporters are stupid... Bob Nightengale has been covering baseball since 1986. You figure he'd know the AAV is used for luxury tax purposes....

The contract will be heavily backloaded, the official said, assuring that the Red Sox will not go over the $189 million luxury tax.

Last edited by a moderator:

patsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Sox fan I'm pretty pleased with the deal. The only question I have is that we're overstocked with righthanded hitting outfielders. Cespedes, Victorino, Craig, and now Castillo. Plus Mookie Betts, a converted 2nd baseman. On the lefty side we have Nova, who sucks, and Bradley Jr who can't hit. The rest of the line-up is also overloaded with RHHs. I imagine some of these OFs will be moved in the off-season, but right now we have an unbalanced line-up.