• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rumors abound that SEC will go 9 conference games

LSUfanFloridaAlumni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the real model is play as many pattsies as you can.

As a CFB I like having great games to watch in September.

As a fan of Oregon who did that and lost one I can see the benefit of playing a much weaker team early and then get into the one game that matters later.

At least having MORE conference games forces teams to play what are usually better games. Too many teams dodge the tough games and play 4 really weak teams. One more potentially better game per team is a good thing for CFB.

The best team Oregon played this year isn't even on their schedule. Oregon's conference minus Stanford and Arizona State is actually hurting their SOS. You would be better off with 4 OOC games.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best team Oregon played this year isn't even on their schedule. Oregon's conference minus Stanford and Arizona State is actually hurting their SOS. You would be better off with 4 OOC games.

USC is ranked in the AP (16 or 17?) (which is supposed to be somehow factored into the computers so as not to put everyone at a disadvantage...)

LSUfanFloridaAlumni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it you get more conference games then you play less OOC games so it is hard to gauge your Conferences strength.

I think 4 OOC games (25% of your schedule) is fairly spot on. I would rather play less SEC East teams then to go to 9 Conference games. Also it makes it more exciting to play Tennessee or Georgia because we play them less often.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it you get more conference games then you play less OOC games so it is hard to gauge your Conferences strength.

I think 4 OOC games (25% of your schedule) is fairly spot on. I would rather play less SEC East teams then to go to 9 Conference games. Also it makes it more exciting to play Tennessee or Georgia because we play them less often.

that would be absolutely true if teams scheduled like LSU/UGA/TN. The others in the SEC don't. School's in other conferences don't either. They play sister's of the poor. The fewer of those we have the better it is for CFB in my opinion.

What needs to happen are scheduling rules. Need to have X number of teams from AQ conference on your OOC schedule or you are not eligible for post season.

LSUfanFloridaAlumni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the system works the way it is now. Teams avoid the tough teams when they think their taems are down and that helps get them to a bowl game.

The reason teams like Washington, Wazzau, Arizona, etc. stay perennially bad in the Pac12 while teams such as Ole Miss can sometimes rise up is the bowl appearances and money.

It would help the Pac12 tremendously if teams like Colorado, Wazzau, Utah, etc. played weaker OOC schedules and went to bowl games. That is more money for your league.

I am telling you, 9 conference games is idiocy. There is no way around it.

Also most of the time that easy cupcake game sells out in SEC country and is an extra home game with tickets sold. If you play extra conference games, that is one less game at home for an SEC team which means less $$$$.

LSUfanFloridaAlumni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is a reason neutral games have become popular today. They get teams to play without losing as much money.

LSU loss money by going to West Virginia and playing Oregon in Dallas. That is two less home games this year with 90k ticket sales plus concession sales.

The Oregon game didn't lose quite as much because both Oregon and LSU agreed to split the profits or the neutral site paid us to go (which is what the Chick-Fil A game in Atlanta does every year).

LSU is willing to take this loss of money to play big time teams to help us get into BCS Bowls which can be even more profitable.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the system works the way it is now. Teams avoid the tough teams when they think their taems are down and that helps get them to a bowl game.

The reason teams like Washington, Wazzau, Arizona, etc. stay perennially bad in the Pac12 while teams such as Ole Miss can sometimes rise up is the bowl appearances and money.

It would help the Pac12 tremendously if teams like Colorado, Wazzau, Utah, etc. played weaker OOC schedules and went to bowl games. That is more money for your league.

I am telling you, 9 conference games is idiocy. There is no way around it.

Also most of the time that easy cupcake game sells out in SEC country and is an extra home game with tickets sold. If you play extra conference games, that is one less game at home for an SEC team which means less $$$$.

I get the money aspect. Money is destroying our chance to see better games. Oregon/LSU should NEVER happen if we do the smart thing. Oregon should have played Portland State. We'd be undefeated and probably #2 or #3. We'd have never dropped from #3 to #13.

The winner didn't even really get the bump deserved for the risk. LSU should have skyrocketed to #1 after that game. Had OU not lost LSU would still be #2.

LSUfanFloridaAlumni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Oregon game has paid heavy returns for LSU on the football field.

The AP poll did skyrocket us to number 1 and we haven't left the spot since. It helped give our team confidence that the team didn't have last year (especially our offense which has been greatly improved). It did hurt Oregon unfairly but not to much as you guys are still in the race to win your league and get to a BCS Bowl Game.

I usually prefer one big-time OOC game a year. I also like to have that one local interest game (throw a bone at a weaker school in your state). I like that LSU schedules one Louisiana team a year.

I think every league that doesn't have a shot at a Round Robin should stick to 8 Conference games. It just makes more sense.

Also btw before 1992, SEC teams use to play 6 league games a year when we were a 10 team league so it is not too common for teams like LSU to be playing so many SEC teams.

metal_frk_334

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Until the SEC loses a NCG there will not be a difference in perception.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big Ten is going to do this as well. The Big 12 already has. It won't be a disadvantage, relatively speaking.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, doesn't hurt them. Then we will just hear about how a 2 loss SEC team is deserving of a NCG spot.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So anyway... The SEC will not have a 9 game schedule, but will stick with 8.

Missouri joining the west is already paying off for UGA. It looks as if Georgia will have another SEC West-lite schedule, avoiding having to play LSU & Bama in 2012.

Only playing 8 conference games while adding a member to each division means 6 division games (instead of 5), leaving only two inter-division games to play. Georgia & Auburn are annual inter-division rivals, leaving only one spot for another SEC West team.

UGA must play Ole Miss next season to complete their Home-Home series, Miss St completed their Home-Home this year and were to be replaced by Alabama on the 2012 schedule.

Unless they completing redo the scheduling (and they might), Mizzou should be taking the spot of Bama on Georgia's schedule in 2012.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the who gives a shit question can be answered with: College football fans.

I suppose if you're not one, you probably wouldn't and shouldn't give a shit.