• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumor is we signed Guerrero

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guerrero field WIDE OPEN

Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero is back to being a free agent again after apparently coming close to signing a deal with the Dodgers, and it is believed that the Red Sox, Reds, Rangers and Giants are among other teams that may have some interest.

The Braves were a team that was listed earlier as another potential suitor for Guerrero, but it's hard to know for sure as this case has taken one very strong turn already.

Guerrero was reported to have been "close" to a Dodgers deal, said to be for $32 million over five years, only a week ago.

No one is talking about that deal now, but there are people close to the team who suggested there definitely had been optimism at some point that Guerrero would become a Dodger. Now Guerrero has switched agents and is being represented by Scott Boras, and all parties involved agree that Guerrero remains a free agent, able to sign with any of the 30 clubs.

The Dodgers are still viewed as a logical favorite, though it stands to reason Guerrero may seek more than they were discussing in the first go-round. The Dodgers had immense success in the international market a year ago, signing lefthanded starter Hyun-Jin Ryu from Japan and Cuban outfielder Yasiel Puig, who received $42 million for seven years on a deal that shocked folks at the time but will turn out to be an enormous bargain.

Guerrero's fee agency could potentially have some effect on free-agent-to-be Robinson Cano since the big-market, bigger-spending Dodgers have been speculated by some to be a possible suitor for the Yankees' star second baseman, though there's been no confirmation or even evidence yet that the Dodgers would definitely make a play for Cano. Some are suggesting lately that maybe the Dodgers won't go for Cano in light of their hope to sign star pitcher Clayton Kershaw to a big deal that's likely to be for about $200 million, but it's possible that an inability to sign Guerrero (or perhaps Kershaw) could change things.

Dodgers GM Ned Colletti declined to comment on the Guerrero situation, citing policy not to discuss player negotiations.

Guerrero's new agent Boras would only say it's a "wide open process."

It's no surprise the interest has re-emerged for Guerrero, a middle infielder with power who's played shortstop but may ultimately make a move to second base. Guerrero also has been praised by scouts for having excellent hands.

It remains a bit of a mystery exactly what happened to the first possible deal but a clue may have appeared in a tweet from @JesseSanchezMLB who has been closely covering this case. In it Sanchez wrote, "Verbal agreements from past agency are not bonding. Wants overall better deal."

A person with connections to the baseball players union said Guerrero did not have a certified agent representing him before hiring Boras. Sanchez in a blog on MLB.com named Rudy Santin and Manny Paula of MVP Sports Management as his previous representatives. - Sep. 18, 2013 Jon Heyman

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBTR

3:43pm: The Dodgers are no longer willing to pay Guerrero $32MM and may not pursue him at all, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Rosenthal notes that the team's position may merely be strategic; they could be backing off that number simply so Boras doesn't use that as a baseline when negotiating with other clubs.

This is going to be like pulling teeth. What a mess.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be that Scott Boras entering the mix has changed the dynamic of the Guerrero saga.

If the Dodgers do not sign Guerrero and do not pursue Cano ( which Stan Kasten has stated the Dodgers will not do) then it will be interesting to see how they approach filling 2B next season. Perhaps Mark Ellis would be brought back for another season.

Time will tell.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Agent 2B for 2013 Winter.

Yuniesky Betancourt (32)
Robinson Cano (31)
Alexi Casilla (29)
Jamey Carroll (40) - $2MM vesting option with a $250K buyout
Mark Ellis (37) - $5.75MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Omar Infante (32)
Kelly Johnson (32)
Nick Punto (36)
Brian Roberts (36)
Ramon Santiago (34)
Skip Schumaker (34)
Ben Zobrist (33) - $7MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout

======

I've always like Kelly Johnson. Omar Infante is going to be looking to get paid big money - he's probably the best after Cano. Also, I'm pretty sure the Zobrist option gets picked up so it's not worth considering him.

I really prefer Guerrero to all of those names. Damn Boras....

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always liked Johnson, too, so I wouldn't mind having him if that's how things work out.

I agree that Tampa Bay will probably pick up Zobrist's option, but I'd love seeing Zobrist wearing Dodger blue.

It appears that the pickings are pretty slim as far as FA 2B and 3B go, with the exception of Cano, so it seems more and more likely that the Dodgers may stay in house and re-sign Uribe and Ellis. That wouldn't be such a bad thing.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always liked Johnson, too, so I wouldn't mind having him if that's how things work out.

I agree that Tampa Bay will probably pick up Zobrist's option, but I'd love seeing Zobrist wearing Dodger blue.

It appears that the pickings are pretty slim as far as FA 2B and 3B go, with the exception of Cano, so it seems more and more likely that the Dodgers may stay in house and re-sign Uribe and Ellis. That wouldn't be such a bad thing.

& if they can also resign young i wouldn't mind he can play almost all infield positions & it would be a nice back up insurance since M. Ellis also tends to get injured alot along with Uribe over the last 2-3 years. I dont think this is a bad opition staying in the safe house like you said & besides they already know everyone in the club house & Uribe is fun to have. Maybe next season he could stay healthy again & have a AVG 270. 15HR 75+RBI type of season :yahoo:

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
& if they can also resign young i wouldn't mind he can play almost all infield positions & it would be a nice back up insurance since M. Ellis also tends to get injured alot along with Uribe over the last 2-3 years. I dont think this is a bad opition staying in the safe house like you said & besides they already know everyone in the club house & Uribe is fun to have. Maybe next season he could stay healthy again & have a AVG 270. 15HR 75+RBI type of season :yahoo:

No part of what you just typed will happen.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly Johnson I've always liked

Guerrero is still my first option though

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano has reportedly asked the Yankees for a 10-year, 300 million dollar contract. I say screw him if he honestly wants that much and isn't just positioning for a better contract.

besaesa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We better not give that kind of contract to Cano considering Kershaw and Hanley needs to get paid!!!1

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just pay Guerrero his 50M and get it done

Can asking for 10/305 LOLOLOLOLOL

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no reason to offer more than what Guerrero and the Dodgers already agreed to unless he's got a better offer somewhere else.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will not, nor SHOULD not, look at anything else until Kershaw is locked up. I would love this Guerrero kid, but we should not pay him a penny more than the $32 agreed to already. I would love Kelly Johnson for a year or 2, but not longer than that and no more than $10 million for 2 years.

Personally, I really want Michael Young back for another year. Seager will be ready to play 3B in 2015 and if Uribe decides to get greedy, Young can play there for a year. If we get Uribe back (can't believe I just said that), Young is a valuable utility guy and veteran presence in the locker room.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will not, nor SHOULD not, look at anything else until Kershaw is locked up. I would love this Guerrero kid, but we should not pay him a penny more than the $32 agreed to already. I would love Kelly Johnson for a year or 2, but not longer than that and no more than $10 million for 2 years.

Personally, I really want Michael Young back for another year. Seager will be ready to play 3B in 2015 and if Uribe decides to get greedy, Young can play there for a year. If we get Uribe back (can't believe I just said that), Young is a valuable utility guy and veteran presence in the locker room.

:agree:Yes thank you this is exactly what i was saying glad you see what i see..yes bring Back Young & Uribe if nothing else is available..Uribe & Young can mix it up at 3rd & young can play other infield positions also to give other guys rest & i think his bat is ok he just hasn't played that much on this team & i agree don't give Guerrero a penny more then what was agreed on...Boras can go fuck himself :hdn:

Last edited by a moderator:

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this month you guys have have Freese for not a whole lot.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freeze may be considered if the Dodgers don't re- sign Uribe. Freeze had some big hits in the NLDS, didn't he? He's a money player just like Uribe has been this post season.