• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roy Wiliams or Jim Boeheim

Roy Williams or Jim Boeheim who would you rather have?

• Roy Williams

Votes: 27 58.7%
  • Jim Boeheim

Votes: 19 41.3%

• Total voters

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really is a tough call for me. Yes I am a Duke fan but I have to respect Roy and JB Both can get the talent to come to campus and both seem like great X's and O's coaches. However, LATELEY it seems like JB can manage tighter games a little better than Roy. His end game pressure packed must make a decision seems slightly better than Roy.

But honestly I would go with either one. But as for this poll the slight edge goes to JB and NOT because I am a Duke fan. It's because of what I mentioned before. i would love to meet and pick both their brains however

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why the thread about Roy Williams should go was doomed from the start. Talking smack about a coach that on paper has a better resume was bound to draw these types of dissusions.

I commend the fishing expidition because it brought out the fight.

We could go on for days about who is really better and you're not going to sway many opinions. If you read syracuse.com much you'll find a ton of SU fans who are very much ready for Boeheim to go. Maybe they are right. logins like Dump JB.

I'm more the careful what you ask for type. Boeheim for the large part of his career has been one of the lower paid high viz coaches. A private school like SU has to balance a budget and will most likely not go the $3 Mil and up coaches like Donovan, K, Matta and Izzo make.

So all considering....the cost to the school, the weather not being the best, Syracuse is not a booming city, Upstate NY is not the hotbed of fun, and the lack of history that comes with some programs.....

All considered....I think Coach JB is a 5 star coach based on all the facts. Because who is going to come to Syracuse that's better than Coach for what Coach JB is making now? I'm not sure that guy is there.

actually the Roy Williams thread was hi jacked by you which is why it turned into what it did. It never had anything to do with Boeheim until you made it so. Anyway as far as Syracuse. We used to have the worst football coach in NCAA history - Paul Pasqualoni. After he rode out Dick McPherson for all he could and had to stand on his own he couldn't. His excuse ? He said it was too difficult to get kids to come up here to play. We were supposed to ignore they play in the only on campus dome in the country but that was his story. It's a story that's been out there forever. Now consider Boeheim has been recruiting for decades and has brought kids here from all over the country to spend the best yrs of their lives in a fuckin snowbank. Back in the 80's he had a roster full of kids from southern California. He goes after everyone and brings kids here no one else ever could. I seriously doubt there is anyone in the game who could recruit w/Boeheim. How hard is it to get a kid to go to UNC ? He's had kids here who were recruited by no one and turned out to be great college players. Now I'm not saying Mike Hopkins was a great player but he was a damn good one and played at SU for 4 yrs - he was on the floor as a freshman. A kid from southern Cal.with no other offers. There's tons of them. Boeheim is not only a great coach but the best recruiter in the game.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't help Boeheim that he comes across as a complete dick.
Boeheim behaves like a foul mouthed bullying 8 year old.
Admittedly, he might be a nicer guy in private, but publically he comes across like a douchebag.

Roy Williams has the folksy "aw shucks" persona that also might be a bit phony.
And chances are it is phoney, but he understands the benefit of projecting a nice guy image.

Williams just seems like a far more likeable person.
That should count for something.
I don't want my coach to project an image of a complete unlikeable jackass prick like Boeheim.
I can understand where your opinion comes from but i'll tell you the truth about both of these guys , specifically Boeheim. He has been here since he was 18 , never left. He's had countless chances to leave but never did. He has said many times his favorite place in the world is Syracuse NY. This in the day where coaches change jobs like we change socks. Boeheim is more active in the Central NY community than anyone. He is constantly raising money for local hospitals , churches , schools ,and every charity known to man. He's been like that since day 1. He understands better than anyone now that if he lends his name/time these days he can make a significant difference. He's raised more money for cancer/Jimmy V foundation than any coach in the country. The list is endless. All this while early in his career he was VERY young and treated like shit by the local/national media. He was pounded mercilessly but never let them chase him out of town. As for Roy ,what I know is this : he loves attn. from the media and is treated like God and has been since day 1. That's all I need to know about him. I'll know a lot more soon - as in 10p tonite when more info on the academic cheating at UNC and his players is exposed.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually the Roy Williams thread was hi jacked by you which is why it turned into what it did. It never had anything to do with Boeheim until you made it so.

you are too cute.

Loneranger: Time for the Roy Williams slobberfest to end followed by a couple hundred words about how Coach Williams isn't all that.

jonvi: And....3....2.....1.....income the Coach Boeheim is worse and prolly right rebuttals.

Loneranger: yeah I would expect them soon but Williams takes the cake as the absolute worst bench coach of all the media darlings. He's one of those guys who's been given a free pass for yrs for no reason other than he loves the camera and is always available to take in the love. What he's proven is when it comes nutcracker time 'ole Roy gets crosseyed.

oh yeah....I hijacked your thread alright. Your reply said you expect them soon. You got them.

If you start a thread about a top coach sucking....be prepared to defend your position. Man the fuck up.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Roy ,what I know is this : he loves attn. from the media and is treated like God and has been since day 1. That's all I need to know about him. I'll know a lot more soon - as in 10p tonite when more info on the academic cheating at UNC and his players is exposed.

Being a coach for UNC or Duke with this media world today it is easy for people to get more credit... But come on man Roy is a very good coach!!

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why the thread about Roy Williams should go was doomed from the start. Talking smack about a coach that on paper has a better resume was bound to draw these types of dissusions.

I commend the fishing expidition because it brought out the fight.

We could go on for days about who is really better and you're not going to sway many opinions. If you read syracuse.com much you'll find a ton of SU fans who are very much ready for Boeheim to go. Maybe they are right. logins like Dump JB.

I'm more the careful what you ask for type. Boeheim for the large part of his career has been one of the lower paid high viz coaches. A private school like SU has to balance a budget and will most likely not go the $3 Mil and up coaches like Donovan, K, Matta and Izzo make.

So all considering....the cost to the school, the weather not being the best, Syracuse is not a booming city, Upstate NY is not the hotbed of fun, and the lack of history that comes with some programs.....

All considered....I think Coach JB is a 5 star coach based on all the facts. Because who is going to come to Syracuse that's better than Coach for what Coach JB is making now? I'm not sure that guy is there.

Which is why I despise those who don't respect him. As I've said you don't have to like him.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with Roy. It's close. I've seen a ton of games with JB with UC back in the BE days, and of course before and now after.

I just think Roy gets a more rounded team put together. Yeah, JB built of 'Cuse, but Roy has sustained success at two different places. Hard to do that no matter where you are going. Hell, UNC was on hard times under Matt D, right? So, coaches do matter more than just being a part of a historic program. So, in that regard, I think it's unfair to point out that Roy had an easier road because he was at a place (or places) that had success before he was there. You could counter that the pressure was even greater for Roy in those places BECAUSE of the past success.

On paper, it goes to Roy, but in a personal discussion, things like style, personality, etc...are all going to come into play. Things you can't just quantify on paper. They are both HOF coaches, and any kid going to play NCAA ball would be lucky to have either coach recruiting him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are both great coaches, any animosity from Cuse fans on these boards stems mostly from the fact that they are new to the conference and trying to push their weight around, which is to be expected.

As great as they are, both coaches have had some poor showings in the NCAA tournament, have had teams over the years that have under-performed once they have gotten to the Dance. I will give a slight edge to Roy, but not by much.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many coaches have more tournament wins than Roy Williams in the last ten years? It's a serious question but I don't think Boeheim is that close. I'm shocked Roy is leading this poll despite the number of Syracuse fans compared to Carolina fans on this board though.

That being said the Duke game this year is the first time I've ever seen Roy actually out-coach the opposing team during a game. He's a great recruiter, and a good coach, but he's not a good in-game coach.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many coaches have more tournament wins than Roy Williams in the last ten years? It's a serious question but I don't think Boeheim is that close. I'm shocked Roy is leading this poll despite the number of Syracuse fans compared to Carolina fans on this board though.

That being said the Duke game this year is the first time I've ever seen Roy actually out-coach the opposing team during a game. He's a great recruiter, and a good coach, but he's not a good in-game coach.

This was said earlier by trolly. By my count there is....jonvi, teb111, malibu, coolstorybro, Loneranger, 2Slick, Elijah and Bone. Bone, Elijah and teb rarely post.

That's 8. UNC has to have 8 fans here.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was said earlier by trolly. By my count there is....jonvi, teb111, malibu, coolstorybro, Loneranger, 2Slick, Elijah and Bone. Bone, Elijah and teb rarely post.

That's 8. UNC has to have 8 fans here.

I can't think of 3 Carolina fans that post on here, but that could be because I'm not here much.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy Williams and it's not even close.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thing just goes on and on. Have to give it up for JB for his longevity and recruiting; that said, there are several coaches out there I like better. Pitino, Donovan, Cal, K, Miller, and a bunch more. Not sure what you folks are upset about; For me, JB and Roy are both just fine, just for me not in the group I mentioned above.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The poll is going the way I figured it would. Some people just dont respect a guy that stays in one place and built a program from the bottom.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The poll is going the way I figured it would. Some people just dont respect a guy that stays in one place and built a program from the bottom.

That's quite a leap don't you think?

Unless you happen to be a Syracuse fan, the loyalty aspect of the question doesn't really have any bearing on things. If I'm not a Syracuse fan, then "having" Boeheim would imply that he's not at Syracuse anymore, no? If he's not at Syracuse anymore, then that undying loyalty doesn't mean much does it?

Same could be said for program building. If I'm a fan of Coastal Carolina, I might be interested in a guy that can build a program, but if I'm at a school that already has a good tradition in basketball, I'm probably not going to care much.

And let's not get too carried away with Boeheim's program building in the first place. He took over a program that had just been to a Final Four.

So how exactly is picking a more accomplished coach disrespecting Boeheim?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy Williams is not exactly some coaching mercenary either.

He was a loyal assistant to his idol and Mentor Dean Smith for over a decade.

It took arguably one of the greatest programs in Kansas to lure him from spending another decade as an assistant with North Carolina. Even then it required Dean Smith telling him to take the Kansas job.

Once the Carolina job (his dream job and alma mater) opened up, it took two tries before he could finally break away from his second home in Kansas.

So, you cannot really try and paint Boeheim as some loyalist....and make Roy to be some mercenary job hopper.

BOTH demonstrate loyalty.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy Williams is not exactly some coaching mercenary either.

He was a loyal assistant to his idol and Mentor Dean Smith for over a decade.

It took arguably one of the greatest programs in Kansas to lure him from spending another decade as an assistant with North Carolina. Even then it required Dean Smith telling him to take the Kansas job.

Once the Carolina job (his dream job and alma mater) opened up, it took two tries before he could finally break away from his second home in Kansas.

So, you cannot really try and paint Boeheim as some loyalist....and make Roy to be some mercenary job hopper.

BOTH demonstrate loyalty.

I don't think anyone said he wasn't loyal. You can't deny the fact that Boeheim made Syracuse what it was, doesn't mean Roy isn't loyal, it would have been stupid to not take the Kansas job, if anything it helped give him a little experience being the head honcho before he got his dream job.