• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round 2-> Denver Broncos select: Demarcus Walker, DE/OLB, Florida State

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I have reached out to multiple draft peeps and scouts I made connections with at Combine to ask about thoughts on the Broncos using the 51st pick on DeMarcus Walker... and they all were pretty fairly negative. Best I received is that he may be a decently high impact B gap rusher if he can continue to put on weight and fix how inconsistent he is firing off the line of scrimmage. In Denver's one gap 3-4, that can be impactful in sub packages. However, most were far lower on the pick. Specifically talking with Jon Ledyard, Host of Locked On Draft and Fanrag Sports Draft Analyst, says Walker was maybe the worst pick of day 2 and many people and team connections he spoke with said they didn't have Walker in their top 100. While Walker weighs 280 lbs, he consistently shows his inability to anchor on the edge even when going one vs one against tight ends (see Walker get abused by 235lbs TE Evan Engram vs Ole Miss for reference) and he can't imagine it getting any better taking on double teams as a 5 technique. Maybe DeMarcus will be a fantastic pick, but talking with people I know who have watched and analyzed the tape (rather than those given a binder to spout information from) he is inconsistent, limited schematically, and by all indications, a poor second round selection.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, and so It goes, the curse of the 2nd round pick

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe that's why Elway forgot who he took

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Cunningham was right there, Elway hates ILBers

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's give the guy at least a couple plays during the regular season before calling him a bust .

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and before someone gets all in my face . This guy has actually did it ! Stats say just that , he has been and done what all DE's above done .

Stop all the silly assed talk that he did not hold up .. same stats as Taco but he did not hold up ... Yep sure thing there boss .

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We like penetrating DE even Gotsis and Sly a NT is penetrating

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malik Jr has arrived

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I have reached out to multiple draft peeps and scouts I made connections with at Combine to ask about thoughts on the Broncos using the 51st pick on DeMarcus Walker... and they all were pretty fairly negative. Best I received is that he may be a decently high impact B gap rusher if he can continue to put on weight and fix how inconsistent he is firing off the line of scrimmage. In Denver's one gap 3-4, that can be impactful in sub packages. However, most were far lower on the pick. Specifically talking with Jon Ledyard, Host of Locked On Draft and Fanrag Sports Draft Analyst, says Walker was maybe the worst pick of day 2 and many people and team connections he spoke with said they didn't have Walker in their top 100. While Walker weighs 280 lbs, he consistently shows his inability to anchor on the edge even when going one vs one against tight ends (see Walker get abused by 235lbs TE Evan Engram vs Ole Miss for reference) and he can't imagine it getting any better taking on double teams as a 5 technique. Maybe DeMarcus will be a fantastic pick, but talking with people I know who have watched and analyzed the tape (rather than those given a binder to spout information from) he is inconsistent, limited schematically, and by all indications, a poor second round selection.

Thanks Doc- I hope they are wrong. If he can rush the passer on obvious passing downs - the Broncos will have a top pass rush. He is no Malik replacement for rush defense or playing 3 downs.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This all may be true, but for what it's worth, I'll with hold judgement on him till I see how we use him and how he matures.

Fact is, we wouldn't have a RB in the HOF is it wasn't for a tackle he made on a preseason ST's play.

For all the great information we get from tape, the draft, and the combine, nobody can measure mentality, drive, or heart. You don't know how not getting invited to the combine affects a kid; how getting drafted at 253 might increase your drive, etc.

I'll wait for a bit. But I still don't like the Bolles pick. ;)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Doc....thank the stars scouts get these guys wrong as many times as they get it right but I have to agree that these comments don't surprise me too much. I was like " where did this pick come from ?. Denver needed to find guys that could push pile from the middle of line. Put pressure in face of Qb and be solid in plugging up middle in run game. Walker to me anyway, doesn't fit that need at all. Pretty disappointed with effort by Elway and staff to find that need in draft. Got some great possible special team guys though !!!!!! Whoo Hoooo!!!!!!

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Doc- I hope they are wrong. If he can rush the passer on obvious passing downs - the Broncos will have a top pass rush. He is no Malik replacement for rush defense or playing 3 downs.

You do get Malik was just that until his last year 3 years he was back up .. at best 2 downs but he was not many downs at time pulled a whole game for silly assed penalty . Yes we missed him but we also missed Walker who IMO would of made a big difference last year .

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malik is a good player but Wolf was IMO a better long term player

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Kiper says Walker will help Denver's run defense and you know he ain't watching film
Block_on_Demarcus_Walker.gif

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL - manhandled by Evan Engram - 30 pounds lighter. The Giants really got a good player in Engram.