• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Moves

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need to move several players to get the youth up . i love for someone to tell me wtf is buck in love with lough ?

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what would you say if buck puts norris back in the rotation and sends wright down ?

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what would you say if buck puts norris back in the rotation and sends wright down ?
Fire Buck on the spot so that the O's can win the World Series in 2016. (/s)

(I'm okay about putting Norris back on the 25-man roster... but he needs to go to the bullpen for now. Instead of sending Wright back down to clear up a spot, I'd rather DFA Hunter instead.)

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said... the May 2015 stats still say that the Orioles are 5th in the MLB in ERA but 29th in OPS. If I were Buck, I'd be toying with the idea of moving Wieters to 1B to help with the offense when he comes back...

(Yes, I know that Wieters would be more valuable as a catcher... but playing Wieters at 1B and moving Davis to the outfield would allow you to keep both Wieters and Joseph in the lineup while benching another slumping corner outfielder.)

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well parmelee chose not to opt out at this time . if i'm nolan i would just move on if they do the same thing in 30 days

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parmelee probably thinks he has a good shot at making the O's with these bums. Who knows maybe buck told him he'll be on the roaster soon.

Norris is a waste but they'll bring him up since he's owed 8 million this year.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parmelee probably thinks he has a good shot at making the O's with these bums. Who knows maybe buck told him he'll be on the roaster soon.

Norris is a waste but they'll bring him up since he's owed 8 million this year.

Here's how I'd prefer the 25-man roster to look like if it were up to me...

Pitchers:
  • Starting rotation: Jimenez - Gonzalez - Chen - Wright - Tillman
  • Bullpen: Brach, Britton, Drake, O'Day, Norris (if he has to be kept), Roe, Wilson

• Notice that Matusz and Hunter are gone, while Norris is sent to the bullpen (and Tillman may lose his rotation spot to Wilson if necessary)

Position players:
  • Catchers: Clevenger (replaced by Wieters when he comes back), Joseph
  • Infielders: Davis, Flaherty, Hardy, Machado, Navarro
  • Outfielders: Jones, Lough (for the pinch runner / defensive sub role), Parmelee, Pearce, Reimold
  • DH: Paredes

• Notice that Snider and Young will be replaced with Reimold and Parmelee (you could argue for replacing Pearce as well, but I'm okay about keeping him if . Also, I'm replacing Cabrera with Navarro since Navarro arguably has more upside.

Last edited:

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Lough: The reason why Buck likes & uses him is because he has some tools that so far none of our other outfielders have. He can play all three OF slots and he has speed. When he is hitting right he is a decent average and high OBP guy. Even if Reimold does get called up I don't think Lough would be the guy that is moved to make room for him because he's your 4th OFer. Every team needs a guy like this.

Bud Norris: I was never really thrilled with this guy but clearly he's got some issues this season and he should be figuring them out in the bullpen. I don't see how you can have much confidence in him to help keep you competitive in any of his starts right now and you have some other arms that proved at least so far they can keep you in a ball game.

As well as Navarro has done in a limited sample size, I don't think the O's will take him over Cabrera after what they are paying him.

Travis Snider: He's not going anywhere either.

Delmon Young: I like that he hits and is usually clutch, but he's limited defensively, hasn't shown power this year, and doesn't have any speed. I don't mind a role player being moved to make room for a guy that could be a starter like Reimold.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tillman's May stats: 34 IP, 5.03 ERA, 1.53 WHIP. Please call up Wilson ASAP and send Tillman to the bullpen...

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming that the 5-9 result stays, the Orioles would have scored 95 runs while allowing 104 runs in May over 29 games. This translates to 3.28 runs scored per game (29th in the MLB!) and 3.59 runs allowed per game (4th lowest in the MLB). Clearly, the sub-0.500 record is mostly caused by the lack of offense.

Also notice that the expected record for 95 RS / 104 RA over 29 games is 13-16, which is exactly what happened in reality. To put it another way, we're not talking about bad luck: the team's record is an accurate reflection of how bad they're playing.

Last edited:

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said... it's probably too early to give up on the 2015 season yet thanks to the fact that the AL East is even weaker this year. This fact becomes even more obvious when you look at the results after 49 games:

2015: 23-26, no worse than 3 GB if the Yankees win today; 207 RS, 208 RA; Expected record = 24-25
2014: 26-23, 2.5 GB; 210 RS, 215 RA; Expected record = 24-25

Notice that the expected records are the same, and the figures for runs scored / allowed both decreased slightly (despite that this year's league ERA is slightly higher). This suggests that the improvement in pitching is almost exactly balanced out by the drop in offensive capability.

Conclusion: I know that this is beating a dead horse... but when is this organization going to trade pitching for hitting?

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conclusion: I know that this is beating a dead horse... but when is this organization going to trade pitching for hitting?

Depends on who the hitter is, I haven't heard of many decent hitters on the block.

O's will need pitching for our ration as well. Chen is a free agent after this year, if Tillman can't figure it out someone will need to have to replace him, Norris (thank god) is a free agent after this year.

So your just left with Gonzo and Jimenuz with 3 spots to fill.

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got Kevin Guasman, Dylan Bundy, Tyler Wilson, and Mike Wright all in the minors. T.J. McFarland is also an option as a starter. I'd rather them go with some of these guys than to go shopping for another Ubaldo guy. They are never going to go after a top-tier stud pitcher on the FA market. So instead they overpay on risks like Ubaldo. He might be good this season, but next year will probably be horrible for him again. They need to sell high on him.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got Kevin Guasman, Dylan Bundy, Tyler Wilson, and Mike Wright all in the minors. T.J. McFarland is also an option as a starter. I'd rather them go with some of these guys than to go shopping for another Ubaldo guy. They are never going to go after a top-tier stud pitcher on the FA market. So instead they overpay on risks like Ubaldo. He might be good this season, but next year will probably be horrible for him again. They need to sell high on him.

I agree WHG that's what I was saying as well. What if we trade 2 or 3 of these guys and the ones we keep turn into busts. These guys are still just prospects.

I wouldn't mind trading baldo. If we're out of it come mid July we have a ton of guys we can trade. Baldo, Davis, Weiters, Chen, Pearce, Young.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reimold last 10 games batting .516 16 for 31.

The O's offense continues to not score many runs.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they cut Cabrera for Navarro. Cabrera has been a disappointment. Couldn't get on base to use his best asset, speed.

Sent Clevenger down even though he was hitting well in limited at bats. Expected since Weiters came back unless they got rid of Pearce. Used him as DH some too. Mike Wright was roughed up last game so I guess this means Norris is back in the rotation? Unless they put Guasman there.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they cut Cabrera for Navarro. Cabrera has been a disappointment. Couldn't get on base to use his best asset, speed.

Sent Clevenger down even though he was hitting well in limited at bats. Expected since Weiters came back unless they got rid of Pearce. Used him as DH some too. Mike Wright was roughed up last game so I guess this means Norris is back in the rotation? Unless they put Guasman there.

wright and kevin are on very guarded inn count for the year . plus gausman is in sarasota and when he comes back they will start building his innings as a starter at aaa. i still think they need to give gamboa a shot do a wakefield get him to pitch first game and kill their hitting the whole series .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wonder who goes since schoop seems he will be ready this week ?

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wonder who goes since schoop seems he will be ready this week ?

Agreed, the people I would think the most would be Young, Pearce, or Lough. With Nolan playing Center the other day maybe they'll get rid of Lough. Really no use for him with Nolan here.