• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rob Ryan is not man enough to take blame for the last 2 years

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait...he's blaming "the scheme"???

Wasn't he the one who came up with it?

I'm instep with the OP here, he sucked, but according to Ryan in this article...he was "asked" to replicate the SEA D in some form or fashion and they gave him garbage to do it with.

Saints have missed the mark on some DEF drafts, but I never felt like they were fully committed to go 3-4 personnel wise.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have a point on where the money is going though... in 2013 they were middle of the pack in defensive spending in the league which dropped to 2nd to last in 2014. Last year that dropped to dead last in the league.

And look at their top picks... 2012 spend the 1st and 2nd to get back up in the 2011 draft for Ingram. 2014 and 2015 was Cooks and Peat in the first.. Vaccaro was a nice choice, but at the top of the draft, it's been more offensive investment.

If you aren't investing in your defense, who cares who you have to run it. They had to start 4 rookies, two who weren't even drafted. Their starting corners are both undrafted. In from 2013 to 2015 they lost 9 of their 11 starters (only keeping Jordan and Vaccaro).

Not a fan of Rob, Rex I think has had some pretty good success especially his years in NY without a premier pass rusher which was amazing, but not a big fan there either. But you can hire whomever you want, if you are going to make the smallest investment in the league on your defense, you can't expect better than awful results.

The Saints made some bad DEF personnel moves...you mentioned Vaccaro...he's been a near bust, they paid a boat load of money to the S, Byrd who has not panned out...the Ryans are noted 3-4 guys but NO never did put a decent 3-4 personnel out there...it was a bad fit from the beginning and it never got better.

That said, Nolan was dealt a fairly weak hand in ATL but you don't hear him broadcasting it...Ryan is only in the league now b/c of his brother...once that's over, we probably won't see him in the NFL anymore.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints made some bad DEF personnel moves...you mentioned Vaccaro...he's been a near bust, they paid a boat load of money to the S, Byrd who has not panned out...the Ryans are noted 3-4 guys but NO never did put a decent 3-4 personnel out there...it was a bad fit from the beginning and it never got better.

That said, Nolan was dealt a fairly weak hand in ATL but you don't hear him broadcasting it...Ryan is only in the league now b/c of his brother...once that's over, we probably won't see him in the NFL anymore.

True points.. I am not a fan of Rob, think he's put together two seasons of good D, though he hasn't exactly been in good situations either.

Vaccaro I like at times, it's tough with 3-4 db's around him who are worthless to really gauge his talent. I still hold hope there, he does look good when healthy.

But I do think he's right regardless that they didn't give him anything near what he needed to be successful.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True points.. I am not a fan of Rob, think he's put together two seasons of good D, though he hasn't exactly been in good situations either.

Vaccaro I like at times, it's tough with 3-4 db's around him who are worthless to really gauge his talent. I still hold hope there, he does look good when healthy.

But I do think he's right regardless that they didn't give him anything near what he needed to be successful.

Yep, they blew on the back end...Keenan Lewis was the only NFL CB they had...Browner made like 3 plays in NE so why would you grab him?

Cameron Jordan is a good DE...4-3 DE...Ryan had him playing DE...3-4 DE...not his cup of tea...never got a legit 3-4 NT, and the LBs...Anthony was the only one I thought well suited for his slot...since Ryan got the boot, they've already gone back to a 4-3 scheme.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, they blew on the back end...Keenan Lewis was the only NFL CB they had...Browner made like 3 plays in NE so why would you grab him?

Cameron Jordan is a good DE...4-3 DE...Ryan had him playing DE...3-4 DE...not his cup of tea...never got a legit 3-4 NT, and the LBs...Anthony was the only one I thought well suited for his slot...since Ryan got the boot, they've already gone back to a 4-3 scheme.

Well that is always tough when your best player isn't the best fit for your system. Not many coaches can do like Wade Phillips and just adjust the scheme they run to fit the personnel seemingly no matter what.

Cam though I thought played more of that hybrid end/tackle under Spagnuolo, not unlike Darren Howard in Philly. Where he was more a 4/3 end in base and a 3/4 tackle in nickel. And I thought last year Ryan did more of a 4/3 look with Williams, Jenkins and Richardson on the line with Cam myself to give him more one gap assignments and free him up a bit.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a point about teams trying to emulate Seahawks defense not having success, as proven by Atlanta's and Jacksonville's defenses whose coaches were former Seahawks defensive coordinators.

Also its not uncommon that offensive or defensive schemes are imposed on the coaching staff by meddlesome owners. (Al Davis Raiders, JJ's Cowboys, etc.).

Sour grapes, but pretty good ones.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with being a Ryan, Buddy was the mastermind of one of the greatest defensive schemes in NFL history.
Over rated as a HC. Lifetime .500 as a HC. Great D coordinator. Kind of an ass like his sons. No nothing wrong with that. Laughed his way to the bank. Wish I didn't need to produce to get paid.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is always tough when your best player isn't the best fit for your system. Not many coaches can do like Wade Phillips and just adjust the scheme they run to fit the personnel seemingly no matter what.

Cam though I thought played more of that hybrid end/tackle under Spagnuolo, not unlike Darren Howard in Philly. Where he was more a 4/3 end in base and a 3/4 tackle in nickel. And I thought last year Ryan did more of a 4/3 look with Williams, Jenkins and Richardson on the line with Cam myself to give him more one gap assignments and free him up a bit.

You could be right, but the production went down overall...not so much Jordan in terms of QB pressure, but run support suffered. Yeah a good DC will tweak what they're doing to mask the weaknesses of the personnel...Labeau in PIT is grounded in a 3-4 base, but he became a lot more conservative, playing a lot more bend/don't break type DEF which kept them respectable....bottom line, you've got the have the horses to be an attacking, ballhawking type DEF...Ryan didn't have that in NO...fwiw, Akiem Hicks has come out and backed him, but part of being a good leader is taking the good with the bad.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The circus has pulled into Buffalo and pitched its tent for the season. We'll see how long it stays.
Oh it will stay for the season, regardless of the record. So many sound bites,so many gifs to be had.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, does he still have this tat?

tattoo.png

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over rated as a HC. Lifetime .500 as a HC. Great D coordinator. Kind of an ass like his sons. No nothing wrong with that. Laughed his way to the bank. Wish I didn't need to produce to get paid.

I don't think anyone ever thought of him as a great HC. In philly he ran the D and kinda just let Cunningham do his own thing. But his 46 D was truly revolutionary until the WCO came along.

Kinda like Wade Phillips or Dick LeBeau. Two of the best coaches in the league, just not good when it comes to coaching an entire team.