• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rivalry replacements?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we al know replacing rivalries is not a overnight process or even a two year process, but who do you guys think are the closet thing to a rivalry so far? We have a couple of canidates IMO...

Baylor- We have the shootout in Morgantown in our first Big 12 game ever and the a$$ stompping down there..Ladies BBall will face them in the Big 12 final tonight. The men split with them, tight game down there, butt kicking at home.

Texas- We beat them in one of the largest crowds ever at their place...I think this was also our first Big 12 road win?? Then had a highly contested game up here in Motown.

Oklahoma- We had some history with them prior to joining the Big 12...early 80s upset in Norman, Fiesta bowl thrashing...but have yet to beat them since joining the conference even though both games were highly contested.

Kansas St- I hate this team! Can;t even tell you why, but that Mr Burns looking coach of theirs I just don't like(I know he is supposed to be awesome) I just can't stand the team or their fans..maybe it is their colors. I also didn't like the last TD from the game this year, but that is more on our D than their O. We need to beat them for a rivalry.

We our limited success and lack of history it is hard to say we have a true rival. I just wanted to see where people were leaning early in the process.

EERNSC

Wetzel County Proud
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this early going, my vote is for K St.
Primarily because of the idiot K St. Mask and his asinine videos.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I think Kansas St. as well. They seem to be on the same arc as us with their rhythm of good teams versus bad teams.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE having Texas and OU on our schedules every year now win or lose and I think those games are must see/go to EVENTS but I don't see either as a rival ...at least not yet. IMO as long as those two play every year I don't think they will see us as such either but I DO think those games will always be big, and fun for both players and fans.
I think Baylor is close as well as OSU (both home teams have won and both knocked the wind out of the others sails at the time).
I don't have the hate for KState, the mask guy was good for pre game hype for me, all in good fun imo, now we need to take care of them on the field. I think everyone hates Texas Tech :lol: but not sure they are on the rival level....again at least not for me, not yet.

To answer the OP I guess right now in order it would be (for me at least):

1. OSU
2. Baylor
3. Texas or OU :noidea:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE having Texas and OU on our schedules every year now win or lose and I think those games are must see/go to EVENTS but I don't see either as a rival ...at least not yet. IMO as long as those two play every year I don't think they will see us as such either but I DO think those games will always be big, and fun for both players and fans.
I think Baylor is close as well as OSU (both home teams have won and both knocked the wind out of the others sails at the time).
I don't have the hate for KState, the mask guy was good for pre game hype for me, all in good fun imo, now we need to take care of them on the field. I think everyone hates Texas Tech :lol: but not sure they are on the rival level....again at least not for me, not yet.

To answer the OP I guess right now in order it would be (for me at least):

1. OSU
2. Baylor
3. Texas or OU :noidea:

I wonder with WVU as the only Eastern team in the league, and the rest of the league having played each other a bunch, if we will ever see any real rivalries develope. Oklahoma is the only team in the B12 I personally feel as a rivalry at all. As of right now, Maryland is the only rival I see on the schedule, we have played them 50 times, going 26-22-2, the next is OU who WVU has played 6 times...............I see no replacement for sPitt, VPI, 'Cuse, or even BC anytime soon.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am starting to have a dislike for a couple of Big 12 opponents.

Hate Texas Tech! Starting to hate KSU.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of Pitt fans would prefer to bring back the PSU series more so than against WVU. The common theme among all the rivalries you listed is the fact that they are all in-state rivalries.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of Pitt fans would prefer to bring back the PSU series more so than against WVU. The common theme among all the rivalries you listed is the fact that they are all in-state rivalries.

I think WVU-sPitt is in that same category, though, do to the length of the series, and how close the two schools are. I here some sPitt fans saying they want PSU back, some saying they want WVU back, and others wanting both back. I think at the very least, WVU should try to get some sort of rotation among our real rivals, sPitt, 'Cuse, and VPI specifically.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the ooc idea but for me let someone else play Marshall jr. (aka Pitt). Heck now that I think about it that's bashing the Herd, my bad .

I like Penn State on the schedule, Id like VT back regular and wouldn't mind keeping Maryland for some exposure recruiting that area but I have zero interest in playing Pitt, Id rather watch CUSA or a MAC school than paint dry U.

I would like to see a 4 game series with Kentucky, UT or UVA to see how that played out, I like UT but would think they wouldn't risk us (could be wrong) on a schedule that already has UF,Bama,UGA. I think a WVU/UK series would be fun, maybe do a football/hoops deal? UVA/WVU could get our fans a short/new trip for a game or two and the marketing for UK (Hatfields n McCoys WE INVENTED RIVALRY) and UVA (NO WE LEFT YOU!) would be epic.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with an OOC rivalry, for years OU and Texas were in separate conferences. And they were our rival before Nebraska became a power with Bob Devaney...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the ooc idea but for me let someone else play Marshall jr. (aka Pitt). Heck now that I think about it that's bashing the Herd, my bad .

I like Penn State on the schedule, Id like VT back regular and wouldn't mind keeping Maryland for some exposure recruiting that area but I have zero interest in playing Pitt, Id rather watch CUSA or a MAC school than paint dry U.

I would like to see a 4 game series with Kentucky, UT or UVA to see how that played out, I like UT but would think they wouldn't risk us (could be wrong) on a schedule that already has UF,Bama,UGA. I think a WVU/UK series would be fun, maybe do a football/hoops deal? UVA/WVU could get our fans a short/new trip for a game or two and the marketing for UK (Hatfields n McCoys WE INVENTED RIVALRY) and UVA (NO WE LEFT YOU!) would be epic.

I just do not get why any WVU fan would say they have no interest in a 100+ year rivalry, I have never heard an OSU fan say they have no interest in playing scum, or a Steelers fan say they don't want to play the Browns.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the OU fans too much. KSU, TT and maybe even Okie Jr are looking good to me.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just do not get why any WVU fan would say they have no interest in a 100+ year rivalry, I have never heard an OSU fan say they have no interest in playing scum, or a Steelers fan say they don't want to play the Browns.

Just nothing in it anymore for me, when was the last time beating Pitt was a big deal? They havnt been relevant since Marino was there IMO. When the sos pissing matches come up with other fan bases and you mention beating Pitt as a notch in your belt it usually brings the yuks, and I cant blame them for laughing. I just like a more meaningful game with BOTH fan bases having some passion, Pitt fans?? Not so much, maybe a few but...very few. Perhaps playing the SEC teams a few years ago and the B12 teams now spoiled me :noidea::yahoo:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just nothing in it anymore for me, when was the last time beating Pitt was a big deal? They havnt been relevant since Marino was there IMO. When the sos pissing matches come up with other fan bases and you mention beating Pitt as a notch in your belt it usually brings the yuks, and I cant blame them for laughing. I just like a more meaningful game with BOTH fan bases having some passion, Pitt fans?? Not so much, maybe a few but...very few. Perhaps playing the SEC teams a few years ago and the B12 teams now spoiled me :noidea::yahoo:

For a LOT of years WVU was not relevant, yet we loved those games, there was nothing better than 1975, 1983, hell in 2008 sPitt was top 10 when WVU beat them, and to say 2007 didnt mean anything.......... You may have an argument that OU or Texas would mean more, but I would MUCH rather play sPitt than anyone else from the B12, I do not give a shit about Kansas, KSU, IAST, TCU, TT, OR Baylor.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rusher what do you think about Maryland as a consistent rivalry game? I would like a WVU to get someone to play during rivalry week. Ideally for me it would be Pitt thanksgiving day since that would kick off rivalry weekend.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a LOT of years WVU was not relevant, yet we loved those games, there was nothing better than 1975, 1983, hell in 2008 sPitt was top 10 when WVU beat them, and to say 2007 didnt mean anything.......... You may have an argument that OU or Texas would mean more, but I would MUCH rather play sPitt than anyone else from the B12, I do not give a shit about Kansas, KSU, IAST, TCU, TT, OR Baylor.

Agree at one time they were a big win and good program nationally, but around the early/mid 80's imo we started to then pulled away as a program and imo havn't looked back. Can they beat us from time to time? Sure the kids get pumped up for that one because f the history but nationally Im not sure many gave it much thought either way. I DO think Pitt CAN be a very good program but for whatever reason they cant get their act together so..its just not a big deal to play or beat them.

KU Ill give ya and maybe even Baylor (when we talk fans at games) but those other fan bases and programs are better and better wins than Pitt imo and by the looks of Pitts home games I think their fans would agree.

Last edited by a moderator: