• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Rivalry Night: 12/18/13 • Rangers v. Pittsburgh Penguins • 8PM • NBCSN

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Oil's biggest fear is moving Yakupov to a team with an established Russian star (such as Malkin) and watching him light it up.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah it is possible but that is the type of the deal most GM's (i stress most) will look at to not make a deal for Letang.

Still think the sell high on him was the end of last season but we all know that wasn't happening.

I would've traded Tang as soon as it became obvious he wasn't going take less than $7 million per year.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but doubt anybody else will take it. Listen, if he stayed healthy and he actually was halfway decent on D, I wouldn't mind the Rangers taking a shot at him.

On the same note man Del Zotto fell pretty hard.

At one time the top 4 of the Rangers look liked it could be gold for years to come with Staal, Girardi, McDonough and Del Zotto. They could still but I guess Staal needs to stay healthy and Del Zotto needs to wake up. Well John Moore looks like he could be a good one to replace Del Zotto.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Oil's biggest fear is moving Yakupov to a team with an established Russian star (such as Malkin) and watching him light it up.

I realllllly think he needs a Russian to take him under his wing...and I think Geno is perfect for it. I've wanted to see that happen for a bit now, mostly because I can really see him going OFF.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the same note man Del Zotto fell pretty hard.

At one time the top 4 of the Rangers look liked it could be gold for years to come with Staal, Girardi, McDonough and Del Zotto. They could still but I guess Staal needs to stay healthy and Del Zotto needs to wake up. Well John Moore looks like he could be a good one to replace Del Zotto.

DZ is on his way out, he will be traded by the end of January IMO. He's playing his way right off the team and AV is not happy with him at all. Sucks because I was really high on him and he's still young and has a ton of potential.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've traded Tang as soon as it became obvious he wasn't going take less than $7 million per year.

Without a doubt, but I bet the thought of keeping the core together for long-term came up. Too bad the core of players is more fragile than humpty dumpty.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DZ is on his way out, he will be traded by the end of January IMO. He's playing his way right off the team and AV is not happy with him at all. Sucks because I was really high on him and he's still young and has a ton of potential.

Probably good idea to trade him sooner vs later while he still has value? I bet Sather could pull a deal with for a good winger for him. Like the Pens with Goligoski and Whitney teams get enamored with D-men that have potential.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True true, I could see Yak going off for 40+ goals a season playing with Geno. Dasvidaniya to that idea.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're a little too hard on Letang. He's obviously got issues, but his upside is worth the price tag. He's been fighting injuries this season as well.

Even if he doesn't reach that potential, it's the wrong time to sell. At least wait until he's having a good stretch and demand is high.

I think under the right coach, with some accountability, Letang could really flourish.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a doubt, but I bet the thought of keeping the core together for long-term came up. Too bad the core of players is more fragile than humpty dumpty.

Yeah, we get injured too much. Also, I believe the core of the blue line plays in the AHL. Nisky has been great, but I don't think the rookies are relying too much on Nisky the past 2 games.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're a little too hard on Letang. He's obviously got issues, but his upside is worth the price tag. He's been fighting injuries this season as well.

Even if he doesn't reach that potential, it's the wrong time to sell. At least wait until he's having a good stretch and demand is high.

I think under the right coach, with some accountability, Letang could really flourish.

You lost me at the bolded part. Can we omit that part please?

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not in as big of a hurry to see Letang traded. Still early in his career yet, and we have all seen how a supposed lost hope (Martin), turned around to prove his detractors wrong.

Besides, when Subban, Phaneuf etc. sign their new deals here in a little while, they will move beyond Letang's bloated contract. It's the way it works after a new CBA is signed and teams jump through the new hoops meant to limit their spending. Can't play that game of getting a five and a half million cap hit on a 70+ Shmillion dollar deal (Duncan Keith). Those days are over.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we get injured too much. Also, I believe the core of the blue line plays in the AHL. Nisky has been great, but I don't think the rookies are relying too much on Nisky the past 2 games.

Niskanen is playing his best hockey ever. Now would be the time to deal him because I agree he isn't relied upon to make the young players look better. For the most part the likes of Domoulin plays a pretty smart game and in all honesty could replace him now.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not in as big of a hurry to see Letang traded. Still early in his career yet, and we have all seen how a supposed lost hope (Martin), turned around to prove his detractors wrong.

Besides, when Subban, Phaneuf etc. sign their new deals here in a little while, they will move beyond Letang's bloated contract. It's the way it works after a new CBA is signed and teams jump through the new hoops meant to limit their spending. Can't play that game of getting a five and a half million cap hit on a 70+ Shmillion dollar deal (Duncan Keith). Those days are over.

We could also feel good about the contract if we look at Brian Campbell's contract, that gave me teh lulz

Brian Campbell NHL Salary Contract History

:lol:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niskanen is playing his best hockey ever. Now would be the time to deal him because I agree he isn't relied upon to make the young players look better. For the most part the likes of Domoulin plays a pretty smart game and in all honesty could replace him now.

Yup, I was all about trading Nisky as soon as Tang signed that contract. Probably the best way to go right now. Strike the iron while it's hot.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think we'd get enough to trade him. He's been nothing short of fantastic for us this year, and especially now with everyone hurt. I'm not sure that his value will translate with others. In the past few weeks I'd probably say he's our MVP, and I just don't think we'd get enough back. Orpik would make more sense if we're going non-Letang. Orpik is older, going to be looking for his last big payday, and his game will likely decline with time, because plain and simple, the older you are, the less able you are to be that hulking hitting dman.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we'd get enough to trade him. He's been nothing short of fantastic for us this year, and especially now with everyone hurt. I'm not sure that his value will translate with others. In the past few weeks I'd probably say he's our MVP, and I just don't think we'd get enough back. Orpik would make more sense if we're going non-Letang. Orpik is older, going to be looking for his last big payday, and his game will likely decline with time, because plain and simple, the older you are, the less able you are to be that hulking hitting dman.

Very true, he is playing great but not a lot of teams will want a 5/6 soft d-man in a contract year.

If Orpik gets healthy and plays well enough prior to the trade deadline I can see him moved. The only concern what will it do to the team? He is the longest tenured player on this team not sure how much of a presense he has in the locker room. Hate to break up that at the deadline and if he doesn't go you know come FA he is gone.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst contract after leaving Chicago lol

Yeah it was bad. Good point though Florida would be a taker since they need to hit the salary floor.
The sad thing is that was the only reason Campbell got that deal.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, he is playing great but not a lot of teams will want a 5/6 soft d-man in a contract year.

If Orpik gets healthy and plays well enough prior to the trade deadline I can see him moved. The only concern what will it do to the team? He is the longest tenured player on this team not sure how much of a presense he has in the locker room. Hate to break up that at the deadline and if he doesn't go you know come FA he is gone.

You think they won't want Orpik back or can't afford him?