• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Rivalry Night: 12/18/13 • Rangers v. Pittsburgh Penguins • 8PM • NBCSN

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think they won't want Orpik back or can't afford him?

I think they won't be able to afford him.

They only have 8 forwards under contract next year and they will have to give Sutter a pay raise.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it was bad. Good point though Florida would be a taker since they need to hit the salary floor.
The sad thing is that was the only reason Campbell got that deal.

Didn't he sign that deal in Chicago, and they traded him to FLA?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they won't be able to afford him.

They only have 8 forwards under contract next year and they will have to give Sutter a pay raise.

Yeah, true, I'd like to see them move Letang and keep Orpik on a two year 6 million dollar deal or something, but that doesn't seem likely.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it was bad. Good point though Florida would be a taker since they need to hit the salary floor.
The sad thing is that was the only reason Campbell got that deal.

Pretty much the only reason the trade was made for him, but he hasn't been that bad for them since acquiring him.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much the only reason the trade was made for him, but he hasn't been that bad for them since acquiring him.

Oh yeah he has been good but that is the shame of the NHL that reminds me of the NBA to make deals to rid of terrible contacts to teams that can take on the terrible contracts.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, true, I'd like to see them move Letang and keep Orpik on a two year 6 million dollar deal or something, but that doesn't seem likely.

If they could get him for 2/6 it is probably doable. That would leave them with 5 players at 12 million. We know Sutter will get a chunk so 4 at 8/9. For the most part that group of players will be bottom 6 forwards (out of vitale, megna,glass, sill), a backup goalie, Despres and then Jokkinen if they decide to bring him back.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah he has been good but that is the shame of the NHL that reminds me of the NBA to make deals to rid of terrible contacts to teams that can take on the terrible contracts.

That's what the salary floor will do to you. Look what the Isles did with Thomas last year, traded for him just so they can reach the floor and never even played him.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they could get him for 2/6 it is probably doable. That would leave them with 5 players at 12 million. We know Sutter will get a chunk so 4 at 8/9. For the most part that group of players will be bottom 6 forwards (out of vitale, megna,glass, sill), a backup goalie, Despres and then Jokkinen if they decide to bring him back.

Yeah, that would be really tight, you'd probably have to sacrifice Jokinen.

I guess Paul Martin is a trade candidate as well, not sure I would, he's very good, but his type of game is replaceable.

I wish they wouldn't have signed Letang and Dupuis this offseason to those deals, they should have picked one, both has really killed the cap. Also, Scuderi's deal while fine, if you go 5 deep in the AHL with NHL caliber defensemen, there is no need. Seems like the Pens want to have their cake and eat it too, they want free agents, young players, and enough cap room to be flexible.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that would be really tight, you'd probably have to sacrifice Jokinen.

I guess Paul Martin is a trade candidate as well, not sure I would, he's very good, but his type of game is replaceable.

I wish they wouldn't have signed Letang and Dupuis this offseason to those deals, they should have picked one, both has really killed the cap. Also, Scuderi's deal while fine, if you go 5 deep in the AHL with NHL caliber defensemen, there is no need. Seems like the Pens want to have their cake and eat it too, they want free agents, young players, and enough cap room to be flexible.

If Jokinen is the odd man out I don't think they will notice much.

Martin just like all the other big contracts has a NTC, his is a limited NTC so there might be a few teams he would ok. But the way he has played I would hate to see him leave.

The shame of the Dupuis deal there was too much sentamental value in it. It is going to hurt after next season when all their young players will need to start being re-signed off of RFA's.

Letang is just an albatross that will be with the Penguins for the long term. The good part is he will have value due to his offensive abilty.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jokinen is the odd man out I don't think they will notice much.

Martin just like all the other big contracts has a NTC, his is a limited NTC so there might be a few teams he would ok. But the way he has played I would hate to see him leave.

The shame of the Dupuis deal there was too much sentamental value in it. It is going to hurt after next season when all their young players will need to start being re-signed off of RFA's.

Letang is just an albatross that will be with the Penguins for the long term. The good part is he will have value due to his offensive abilty.

True about Dupuis, he's been underpaid for years, and I don't know if the Pens thought they owed him that deal, but it was too much.

But yea, offensive defensemen in their 20's, even with big deals, are fairly easy to move. Energy guys, in their 30's, with moderate scoring touch with a big contract, no way he is getting moved.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dupuis doesn't cause many problems. I'm fine with his contract. Tang's contract is the killer .