• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Richard Sherman, shamed in his superbowl loss to the mighty Patriots, is on Bradys side.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So doing well in a game of chance is equal to proving proficiency on an NFL field in critical games. - Rock

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please oh please prove this that every single snap last year he went against the other team's #1 WR.
does an nfl.com article work for you?

Who's better: Darrelle Revis or Richard Sherman? - NFL.com

This can be traced back to scheme. Sherman is lined up almost exclusively on the left side of Seattle's tremendous secondary.ESPN's Field Yates wrote that Sherman played on the left side in 847 out of 928 defensive snaps this season, that's 91.3 percent of the time. While this is often cited as a strike against Sherman in discussions of the game's elite corners, the reality is that Dan Quinn's defense doesn't require a corner who will follow around a single receiver for three hours. Sherman could probably do that, too, but that's not what's asked of him.

Revis operates as a shutdown corner in a more traditional manner. It began over five standout seasons with the Jets and continued in his first year under Bill Belichick. (Revis' lone season in Tampa is best forgotten by all involved.) The Patriots have used him in the Revis Island role (locking on, and erasing, a single target) and as a floating entity who covers multiple receivers over four quarters. According to Yates, Revis lined up against five different receivers in Sunday's AFC Championship Game.

so, revis was used to cover a teams #1 AND do what sherman does...i.e, float (but not just one side).

last year, revis primarily covered the opponents #1.

benout.gif

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too easy

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't erase that Sherman has proven he can do what Revis does. He isn't asked to do so every game. That's not his call. He does what is asked of him and does it better than anyone else. It works. Seattle's defense was better than NE's, or any other team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does an nfl.com article work for you?

This can be traced back to scheme. Sherman is lined up almost exclusively on the left side of Seattle's tremendous secondary.ESPN's Field Yates wrote that Sherman played on the left side in 847 out of 928 defensive snaps this season, that's 91.3 percent of the time. While this is often cited as a strike against Sherman in discussions of the game's elite corners, the reality is that Dan Quinn's defense doesn't require a corner who will follow around a single receiver for three hours. Sherman could probably do that, too, but that's not what's asked of him.

Revis operates as a shutdown corner in a more traditional manner. It began over five standout seasons with the Jets and continued in his first year under Bill Belichick. (Revis' lone season in Tampa is best forgotten by all involved.) The Patriots have used him in the Revis Island role (locking on, and erasing, a single target) and as a floating entity who covers multiple receivers over four quarters. According to Yates, Revis lined up against five different receivers in Sunday's AFC Championship Game.

so, revis was used to cover a teams #1 AND do what sherman does...i.e, float (but not just one side).

last year, revis primarily covered the opponents #1.

So what your article is saying is that Revis doesn't cover the #1 WR all game long like you had said earlier? Hmm he covered 5 different receivers just in one game alone? What but Rock said that he only covers the #1 WR.

In reality this is the truth of the matter. Revis covers the #1 WR 49% of the time on average over his career. While that number is higher than most it still shows that a true Shut Down Corner staying on the #1 WR all game long is a thing of the past. With the complexity of defenses these days teams just don't do that as often.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what your article is saying is that Revis doesn't cover the #1 WR all game long like you had said earlier? Hmm he covered 5 different receivers just in one game alone? What but Rock said that he only covers the #1 WR.

In reality this is the truth of the matter. Revis covers the #1 WR 49% of the time on average over his career. While that number is higher than most it still shows that a true Shut Down Corner staying on the #1 WR all game long is a thing of the past. With the complexity of defenses these days teams just don't do that as often.

Preach!

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you cant read

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one more time

last year, revis primarily covered the opponents #1 per the above article.

read the bold if youre too dumb to read the rest :)

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lmao

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
basically the ruling is "regardless of what kind of buffoonery is involved, an unqualified arbiters decision cannot be overturned and must be adhered to".

so, even if berman (who we all can agree is shaming the NFL badly for a reason) says what goodell did was wrong...with all the jackassery thats gone on...his decision is upheld.

if thats the case, brady has to settle.

1 game

massive fine

agrees to certain "language" in the wells report

and, if/when brady does sit...the network executives wont be happy with goodell...at all.

I read somewhere that the judge could over turn due to the fact that it wasn't a fair and unbiased proceeding. Over turn may be the wrong word but he could send it to the 2nd appeals court. So even under the CBA they still are required to hold a just hearing. I believe that came from Berman or the magestrate he has working for him?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm leaving this thread on top, as usual.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you cant read

I read just fine. I said to show me an article that shows that Revis followed the #1 WR around all game long all season long. You then present me with an article that says that Revis covered 5 different WR's in one game alone...How is he then staying on the #1 WR all game long when he is covering 5 guys. Simple math says 5 is more than 1.

I also said that yes he does operate in that more traditional sense in he does follow the #1 around more than most corners but not to the level that you are talking about. He does it about 50% of the snaps. With the complexity of NFL defenses these days no team does the have the #1 Corner follow the #1 WR around on a regular basis anymore. It is just much simpler to keep them on one side and do match ups that way and if need me rotate coverage to one side of the field to help out against a superior WR instead of having 1 guy just stay on them all game long.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The suspension is basically an amount of games, the money that it ends up costing any player depends on what they make per game. On this point I think Sherman is correct in saying it is unfair. Brady will eat $1.8M because that is what he makes in 4 games. If another QB (making less) was accused of the exact say infraction he might only pay half that amount. That does seem unfair.

As for owners fines, yes they are a joke. Fining billionaires $1M is a joke. That would be like fining a regular joe making $100k a dollar.
I think part of the comparission that Sherman is making is that Irsay, convicted of drug possesion is fined 500K. While TB not proven to be guilty, but probably more thsn likely having knowledge of balls being deflated gets 4 X the amount of fine.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So can we say then all those players/ex-players who have said that Brady should be suspended for a year are also then making a good point? Or is it only players that agree with your side that can make a valid point? To me it is very telling especially when Ex-players are the ones saying he should be suspended as most players in the league are not going to say that as much considering they are encouraged by the NFLPA to stand up for each other. As soon as they are not under the NFLPA though it seems most of the Ex-Players are the ones upset with what he has done.
I'm not sure the numbers but there are plenty of ex and current players siding with Brady. Then again remind me what he's being accused of? Balls under the required pressur? Not cooperating fully? Spygate? Tuck rule?

All of those have been disputed at nauseam so I won't rehash. Regardless of which one you pick do they constitute a year suspension? I'd have to say no. Lots and lots of critics, players, fans agree it's too high of a penalty.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So doing well in a game of chance is equal to proving proficiency on an NFL field in critical games. - Rock
"lets change the argument when rocks shames us"

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure the numbers but there are plenty of ex and current players siding with Brady. Then again remind me what he's being accused of? Balls under the required pressur? Not cooperating fully? Spygate? Tuck rule?

All of those have been disputed at nauseam so I won't rehash. Regardless of which one you pick do they constitute a year suspension? I'd have to say no. Lots and lots of critics, players, fans agree it's too high of a penalty.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying there are quite a few ex-players that have said that if it is found that Brady truly did break the rules of the game then they think the punishment should be even more harsh than what is on the table. Really though people are all over the board with this thing. Some think it is just right with 4-games and others want the whole thing taken away. Seems like very few are going to be happy in the end with whatever is decided.