• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reports: Packers considering changes to offensive staff, play calling responsibilities

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure just how much different things would be if these changes are made but it appears the Packers are looking at options with the playoff game failure

Reports: Packers considering changes to offensive staff, play calling responsibilities | ProFootballTalk

Reports: Packers considering changes to offensive staff, play calling responsibilities

After the Packers lost to the Seahawks in the NFC Championship game, head coach Mike McCarthy said he was unaware that linebacker Clay Mathews was dealing with an injury in the second half of the game because he was focused on calling the plays for the offense.

McCarthy may not have that issue to deal with again in 2015. Chris Havel of WDUZ in Green Bay is reporting that the Packers will promote offensive coordinator Tom Clements to associate head coach and give him the play calling responsibilities while also moving Edgar Bennett from wide receivers coach to offensive coordinator.

No other Packers reporters have confirmed that report, but Tyler Dunne and Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com and Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin all report some variation on the theme of the Packers considering changes to the responsibilities of the offensive staff.

Silverstein reports the goal is greater “team versight” something that became a concern when the team lost its way in that title game loss to the Seahawks. In the past, McCarthy has said he’s willing to make a change with play calling “if I felt we would be better served to have someone else call the plays.”

The Packers haven’t reached that point in the past, but it sounds like 2015 could bring a new approach on the sideline in Green Bay.

Last edited by a moderator:

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if this was an idea from McCarthy or T squared...........or a little of both.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys should've hired Trestman when you had the chance!

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if this was an idea from McCarthy or T squared...........or a little of both.

Exactly I was wondering that myself. Is Thompson saying I want changes or did McCarthy look at what happened and think changes need to be made? Hard to say if we will ever find out.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MM can be a good play caller but is too conservative and not creative enough at times. I think it could be a good move. Now we just need Capers to quit calling the prevent defense packages and we will be ready to kick ass

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we win in Seattle this would never even be a thought.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we win in Seattle this would never even be a thought.

Agreed, but that does not mean it is not a good idea. Sometimes you need something bad to happen to you to understand you are doing something wrong.

I honestly think MM is a good coach, but his game management is horrible. I am hoping that by passing off playcalling duties, he can focus more on the game itself so we can stop being one of the worst teams in the league in challenges and time out usage.