• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There you go speculating again. You have no idea what can happen next offseason. The contract that he is going to ask for or get he deserves to be held at a higher standard. The Giants game is a big deal b/c if he dominated them we wouldn't even be having these conversations. The point of "he cant win the big game" is sticking with him.

I see why the team is saying let this year play out. I don't think a LTD will get done by 7/15. You can disagree but I believe it wont happen.

See here is the thing, I dont think they will get the deal done either. Unlike you though, I think its stupid to not get it done because reasons listed numerous times.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See here is the thing, I dont think they will get the deal done either. Unlike you though, I think its stupid to not get it done because reasons listed numerous times.

If you think its stupid that is fine but if a LTD with KC gets done in 2018 who is the stupid one now?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think its stupid that is fine but if a LTD with KC gets done in 2018 who is the stupid one now?

Again the Redskins. Because if a deal gets done next year, it will mean we just gave Kirk $44M in guaranteed over the last two years, and dropped likely another $70M or more guaranteed on top of that. IN effect they are betting on him to fail and saying they hope he succeeds.. again.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again the Redskins. Because if a deal gets done next year, it will mean we just gave Kirk $44M in guaranteed over the last two years, and dropped likely another $70M or more guaranteed on top of that. IN effect they are betting on him to fail and saying they hope he succeeds.. again.

The money shouldn't matter if he wins. Right?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money shouldn't matter if he wins. Right?

The money shouldnt matter now if thats your thinking. You want to say if Kirk wins, he should get paid. But if the team is average because the defense takes most of the season to gel, we should consider going in another direction.

And the reason the money will matter is, short of using the franchise tag again, if Kirk wins as you say, and he is allowed to talk to other teams, some one will make him an offer Washington cant match.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not saying he would have a bad year. You cant predict the future. What if there is a major injury? Why take the chance when you don't have to? That is all Im saying.
anybody can have a moajor injury , another foolish excuse

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course there is a need. This is going to be one of the richest contracts in NFL history. You have to be careful here. You are treating this situation like its a middle of the road contract. IF the same thing happens this year like last year. Gaudy numbers but bad decision making and bad losses you could see the abort button being played out.

Why? B/c of the draft. They don't want to commit a huge amount of money to an average QB. If we are picking in the top 12 next year it would be b/c of KC. I don't see this defense being bad this year. Heck, we had a bad defense last year and they still won us some games that KC could not close out of.
i think if you are a top 85 player 2 years in a row the avg qb arguemnet holds no water at all again you talk about speculation yet speculate on how the defense will perfom and what you think

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just assume that other teams are going to fork over stupid money for him. That may not be true.

If he has a good season, SF will offer him 25 mil a year easily. They will also give him 60 mil guaranteed. While we can match that, what if they offer a year one salary of 35 million because that won't hurt them? We can't match that.

SF would love to get KC next season because they could trade their likely high draft pick to pick up a lot of high picks.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some one will make him an offer Washington cant match.

The Skins can't match? Why not? I thought the Sklns were flush with all this cash and as long as they don't sign Kirk to a 27 gazillion dollar contract. They'll be great far as the cap goes.

Now all over sudden the Skins can't match possible future offers from other teams. How can that be?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money shouldnt matter now if thats your thinking. You want to say if Kirk wins, he should get paid. But if the team is average because the defense takes most of the season to gel, we should consider going in another direction.

And the reason the money will matter is, short of using the franchise tag again, if Kirk wins as you say, and he is allowed to talk to other teams, some one will make him an offer Washington cant match.

Depends in what he does this year to see if Washington can match any offer.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he has a good season, SF will offer him 25 mil a year easily. They will also give him 60 mil guaranteed. While we can match that, what if they offer a year one salary of 35 million because that won't hurt them? We can't match that.

SF would love to get KC next season because they could trade their likely high draft pick to pick up a lot of high picks.

you don't know that they cant match and offer for a certainty. That is speculation at this point in time

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think if you are a top 85 player 2 years in a row the avg qb arguemnet holds no water at all again you talk about speculation yet speculate on how the defense will perfom and what you think

not speculating at all. the defense bailed him out a lot last year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not foolish b/c he is signed right now. lol there is no risk.
how do you jump to me thinking there is no risk dean ? another damn lie especially when i said ANY FUCKING ONE can have and injury

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not speculating at all. the defense bailed him out a lot last year.
BS it is speculation by definition . when looking into the future and predicting an outcome you are speculating

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I clearly fall into not totally sold, but I think Ive been more than fair to him. Ive come a long way in my opinion of him (and deservedly so) as he does more and more and continues to develop. And Id love for nothing more than for him to be our Franchise QB - he's obviously a great guy who works really hard, is loved by teammates, and seems like the exact kind of guy you want to be your QB (hard worker, lots of time in the film room, always trying to improve). So Im not sure where the idea that people on here or me in particular have any problem with the guy - but then again this is the only Skins site I go to and from what you guys say, there are some nutty guys out there lol.

The argument is and will continue to be, "do we pay Kirk Cousins for his potential rather than risk losing him"? I say no, pay him under the tag this year and see how things play out. Tag him again next year if you like what you see and try working out a long term deal next off season. If Kick digresses this coming year with the weapons in place and an improving offensive line, McCoy should be in line to start and continue grooming Sudfield or another young draft pick or younger veteran looking to start who is on another teams bench.

I agree with Skinz2Winz. When KC played well, he played against weaker teams with DeSean Jackson back plus he did not do great in the playoffs or against better competition. His passes were mostly dump down to Crowder, or Reed, etc. His accuracy was not very good to the deep outside or longer across the middle. I have read that they (the coaching staff and KC) are working on this and hoping he grows to be a better QB this year with these routes.

I wonder with all of our passing weapons, can another QB come in a replicate his numbers in this offense without being a top flight QB. The top QBs can pretty much carry their teams without as much help around them. I don't see KC being able to do this right now, maybe down the line.

From that perspective, I would only let him have a 1 year franchise contract for now and see if he grows to a top 8 QB.

I'll chalk it up pretty much to the same reasons stated in the article. As well as Luck learning a new offensive system this year. That's not the proper baseline to judge Cuz by this year though. The next step Cuz has to take this year is defeating teams with a winning record that have legitimate postseason aspirations.

If he's unable to accomplish that at some point this season. Paying him the jack he and his agent are looking for would be premature at the least.

the NFL has tape on him so lets see how he adjusts to their adjustments . if he can pass this step then you could very well have something

I don't disagree with you DGF, it was only one year. I am not ready to say he is the QB we have been waiting for but I would have paid for two years guaranteed. Scot has a lot better track record than me though.

some of the people advocating we should give him a year to prove himself or saying we shouldnt sign him . how many stuck to what they said ?

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of the people advocating we should give him a year to prove himself or saying we shouldnt sign him . how many stuck to what they said ?

People can't have a change of heart or mind now?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS it is speculation by definition . when looking into the future and predicting an outcome you are speculating

I was talking about last years defense.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure what the point is in regards to my post since I have been one of Cousin's biggest supporters since the day he was drafted. :noidea: