• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - please show me even the slightest proof that Cousins wanted what you term to be the highest QB contract in the NFL. You won't find it because it doesn't exist & you subsequently admitted that you don't have a clue about what is being asked/demanded from either side.

You also left the part out about how you were practically doing cartwheels at mention of any rumor about Cousins being traded & to this day you pretty much harp on any shortcoming for Cousins while basically never giving him credit for anything (in spite to the fact that you were his biggest fan at the beginning of last season).

You strike me as someone (like Allen) who loves picks, FAs & other new toys. If they falter you are the first one demanding that the team get rid of him & find yet another new toy. This is not how you run a football team.

Well, then you folks need to show us legitimate news that the FO is offering a 19-20mill per deal for a 2-3 years with ONLY 25mill guaranteed. Show me a quote from FO personnel that says that this absolutely was the most recent offer. Not some stupid garbage propoganda nonsense that one of these media outlets will spew (if sdad can go there...so can I). That offer was mate awhile back. Because frankly, I think that's total fucking bullshit. I just highly doubt that our FO be so brash to make a slap in the face offer like that after the year he had.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SoCalWizFan Im still waiting for one of the "We cant pay him what he wants" crowd to explain exactly how its smart to put ourselves in a position where we either

1. End up paying him MORE

or

2. End up needing to draft a QB??

Because logic says, if the Skins perform to the level we hope, then Kirk is likely going to cost even more. And if we are in a position to draft a QB without trading up, well then the team as a whole failed rather spectacularly.

Yep - the thought of them even considering tagging him next season & basically guaranteeing him about $75M (while getting no guarantees past next season) sounds insane, but they are crazy enough to do this type of thing. Don't get me wrong - they have made some good moves recently. Just don't understand their position in this whole QB situation unless they somehow come through in next few months.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right Dean... it was me. Give him a blank check. Because we either pay him now, pay him later, or watch him leave for nothing. If we trans tag him we likely lose him for nothing. If we franchise tag him, we likely pay him even MORE than you want to now.. so we either over pay him now (in your opinion), over pay him later, or let him walk for nothing and do another Dumbshit3 trade. great plan.

How do we lose him on the transition tag if he has a great season in 2017? We can match any offer.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, then you folks need to show us legitimate news that the FO is offering a 19-20mill per deal for a 2-3 years with ONLY 25mill guaranteed. Show me a quote from FO personnel that says that this absolutely was the most recent offer. Not some stupid garbage propoganda nonsense that one of these media outlets will spew (if sdad can go there...so can I). That offer was mate awhile back. Because frankly, I think that's total fucking bullshit. I just highly doubt that our FO be so brash to make a slap in the face offer like that after the year he had.

I don't have to show anyone anything. I never maintained anything in this area. I was replying to Dean stating that Cousins wanted the highest QB offer ever. I would love to either see concrete evidence of anything or (better yet) them reach an agreement by July. BTW - not stating that it is true but why would you (or anyone) not believe that Snyder would let his ego get in the way on this one to the pt of doing something that doesn't really make sense? I find that to be plausible (& ridiculous at the same time).

Oh well - here's to hoping that both parties reach an agreement soon - this is getting old.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - please show me even the slightest proof that Cousins wanted what you term to be the highest QB contract in the NFL. You won't find it because it doesn't exist & you subsequently admitted that you don't have a clue about what is being asked/demanded from either side.

You also left the part out about how you were practically doing cartwheels at mention of any rumor about Cousins being traded & to this day you pretty much harp on any shortcoming for Cousins while basically never giving him credit for anything (in spite to the fact that you were his biggest fan at the beginning of last season).

You strike me as someone (like Allen) who loves picks, FAs & other new toys. If they falter you are the first one demanding that the team get rid of him & find yet another new toy. This is not how you run a football team.

Not the point. We all were responding to the rumor. I wanted the picks b/c I was responding to the rumors that KC wanted to be the highest paid in the league and not have anything to do with Allen. All that turned out to be false. You cant now play Monday morning Qb.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we lose him on the transition tag if he has a great season in 2017? We can match any offer.

Easy, you dont think some one will make him an offer we dont want to match?? The Niners, Rams and Jets for starters will ALL have about twice the cap space of us, mainly because they dont have a QB to speak of.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SoCalWizFan Im still waiting for one of the "We cant pay him what he wants" crowd to explain exactly how its smart to put ourselves in a position where we either

1. End up paying him MORE

or

2. End up needing to draft a QB??

Because logic says, if the Skins perform to the level we hope, then Kirk is likely going to cost even more. And if we are in a position to draft a QB without trading up, well then the team as a whole failed rather spectacularly.

I understand and don't necessarily disagree shark. But maybe, just maybe our folks want to see a little bit more from KC. Maybe they want to make DAMN sure that he is our guy before throwing the bank at him and giving him an ELITE contract, because he is obviously playing hardball..and that's what he wants. Maybe the FO sees this as an opportunity to further vet their potential long term guy and they are willing to eat a few million here and there to make sure they don't eat 70 million-ish fully guaranteed long term.

I know.. we have already thrown a bunch of money at him on tags and it doesn't even make sense. But maybe long term this is the best and lowest risk play we have got.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the point. We all were responding to the rumor. I wanted the picks b/c I was responding to the rumors that KC wanted to be the highest paid in the league and not have anything to do with Allen. All that turned out to be false. You cant now play Monday morning Qb.

This coming from Captain Hindsight... I dont care who you are, that right there is funny.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough - if you just admit that we are all clueless in terms of what is being discussed now then I can live with that.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy, you dont think some one will make him an offer we dont want to match?? The Niners, Rams and Jets for starters will ALL have about twice the cap space of us, mainly because they dont have a QB to speak of.

If KC has a successful year there is no way Synder lets him walk. Plus you assume those three teams will throw crazy money at him. That is specualtion

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This coming from Captain Hindsight... I dont care who you are, that right there is funny.

No Captain Hindsight here, I was just responding to the rumor like all of you were. Now that the SM article came out and proved a lot of you people wrong. Now fess up to it.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough - if you just admit that we are all clueless in terms of what is being discussed now then I can live with that.

Im not clueless about this subject b/c SM just proved my theory that the Skins were not going to throw a ton of money at KC last year or this year.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand and don't necessarily disagree shark. But maybe, just maybe our folks want to see a little bit more from KC. Maybe they want to make DAMN sure that he is our guy before throwing the bank at him and giving him an ELITE contract, because he is obviously playing hardball..and that's what he wants. Maybe the FO sees this as an opportunity to further vet their potential long term guy and they are willing to eat a few million here and there to make sure they don't eat 70 million-ish fully guaranteed long term.

I know.. we have already thrown a bunch of money at him on tags and it doesn't even make sense. But maybe long term this is the best and lowest risk play we have got.

It is in fact the stupidest play on the planet. We could have had him long term for a little more than what we have already committed to him in tags. And if this team finishes the way we hope, you really think its going to take LESS than the $35M guaranteed that we would have to give him on the tag?? Kirk and his agent have made it clear, guaranteed money STARTS at the current tag, plus the following years tag. By that logic, if we tag him next year, any deal will have to include the 2018 tag, plus what would be the 2019 tag amount if we could in fact tag him, or 35M plus 66% which comes out to $93.1M in guaranteed money. Good luck with that.

So we either hope we do well and watch him walk, or hope he sucks and still watch him walk so that we are in a better position to trade up.

No where in this does Kirk become cheaper to keep.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is in fact the stupidest play on the planet. We could have had him long term for a little more than what we have already committed to him in tags. And if this team finishes the way we hope, you really think its going to take LESS than the $35M guaranteed that we would have to give him on the tag?? Kirk and his agent have made it clear, guaranteed money STARTS at the current tag, plus the following years tag. By that logic, if we tag him next year, any deal will have to include the 2018 tag, plus what would be the 2019 tag amount if we could in fact tag him, or 35M plus 66% which comes out to $93.1M in guaranteed money. Good luck with that.

So we either hope we do well and watch him walk, or hope he sucks and still watch him walk so that we are in a better position to trade up.

No where in this does Kirk become cheaper to keep.

that is where you are wrong we never could of had KC on a LTD.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Captain Hindsight here, I was just responding to the rumor like all of you were. Now that the SM article came out and proved a lot of you people wrong. Now fess up to it.

IM going to take anything he says right now with a bit of skepticism, because its kind of hard to believe when a man got fired and publically railroaded and he comes out and says no hard feelings.

So yes I agree he also wasnt willing to "write the blank check" as you like to say. But I guess stupidity is a contractible disease, and Dan and Bruce are the Ebola monkeys.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is where you are wrong we never could of had KC on a LTD.

Then putting him on the exclusive tag was stupid. If they really wanted to figure out his market, smart money would have let him negotiate with other teams. And if you didnt want to pay him, take what you could get in trade.

Bottom line is, thee was no smart play in this thing aside from actually giving Kirk a deal he would accept.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what if KC reverts to 3 years ago, throws a lot of picks, has OK but not great numbers and the team finishes 6-10. What the hell do they do then?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what if KC reverts to 3 years ago, throws a lot of picks, has OK but not great numbers and the team finishes 6-10. What the hell do they do then?

Well then they are screwed either way. But then again this line of thinking is basically plan to fail and hope to succeed. BUt again, if they really are worried about that outcome, then franchise tagging him was stupid.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then they are screwed either way. But then again this line of thinking is basically plan to fail and hope to succeed. BUt again, if they really are worried about that outcome, then franchise tagging him was stupid.

Actually if that was the outcome the franchise tag made a lot more sense than a long term deal. They paid to see, just as they did this last year.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins was just on TV and he said he is not unhappy. Things are progressing. He likes Gruden. Allen and Snyder have been communicative with him etc. etc. I don't think the world is coming apart. He is also very excited by taller receivers with "larger catch radius's."