• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds VS Pirates

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The schedule looks very much like it's Cueto's game to pitch in the W.C. play-in. That assuming the Reds don't get a miracle and catch the Cardinals. Not likely ... but the math is there.

If anybody else doesn't see Hamilton as the weapon the Reds need, leave some money in the poor box for Ryan Ludwick -- the guy the sunshine seekers said would turn this team around.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludwick leaves 10 men OB last night while Billy Hamilton sits the bench. I think BH could have done no worse than leave 10 men OB right? Why not Choo in LF, BH in CF and take your chances. That has to be more effect than that dunderhead Ludwick swinging at every pitch coming across the plate. He does not work the pitcher and ultimately gets behind in the count and fails. Can't have shit like that from your 4 hole hitter. This is when a real manager steps up and makes a move on the lineup. It is so clear to me that BH can propel the Reds to the World Series. Does anybody else see that?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a doubt Ludwick's AB's were abysmal at best. A night where you have 10 LOB next to your name says it all.

Beyond Ludwick's failings, not a lot of positives from the rest of the offense last night. They had 19 base runners and scored three runs with one of those on a bases loaded walk. Seemed more like an exercise in futility for the 2-7 hitters, 2 for 21 as a group. A common theme for this team at times, walk Votto and watch the rest of the middle of the line up flounder.

On the bright side Choo had a big hit against a LHP in the 10th and the catchers had 3 hits in the 8 hole and scored two of the three runs last night. Cueto looked good and the Reds clinched a playoff spot for the second straight year, the first time since 75-76 I believe.

Would have been two straight in 94-95, but despite winning the division in 1994, there wasn't any Post Season that year. That year didn't sting nearly as much as 1981 when the Reds had the best record in baseball and didn't make the playoffs. Strike season's have probably screwed the Reds more than any other team. Guess those issues would be for a different thread, we could call it "Old and still bitching".

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure unfortunately, Dusty worries about the lineup if Hamilton is in it...he can't lead off, what to do with Choo, Phillips, etc...personally, id leave Ludwick out at least every other game, and play Hamilton in between...unless he kept hitting, then Luddy would be a pinch hitter.

If Billy Ham does hit, the following might be a lineup Dusty could live with:
BH, Choo,Votto,BP,Bruce, Frazier, Cozart, C,P

I haven't seen BH swing righty yet, but Mr. Ludwick hits .216 against lefty pitchers...in case Dusty hasn't noticed.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds loss to the Mets puts them a game behind the Pirates now.

Assuming no other stumble by either team, that means the Reds now HAVE to win 2 in the final series for home field chance,and default to best head to head record. Only a sweep locks them for a home game in the play in game...They just keep painting themselves further into that disadvantaged playoff corner by losing to bad teams. They could have avoided all this by winning series against the Rockies, Cubs ,Brewers...and these Mets.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they lose all 3, which is possible and evidently more likely than I could have imagined, they keep on doing the same things ... and would eventually still have to win 3 against the Cardinals.

Anybody who sees that as likely is dreaming.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp the division isnt ours this year, But we are still in a great position if we can take 2 outta 3 from the Pirates this weekend at GABP. It would give us home field advantage for the one game playoff. Which is huge as you all know. This Reds team has shown what it can do, they just gotta get some momentum going and make it happen. I believe this team will. Hopefully we can take the next 2 and give the starters a day off before the big one game playoff.GO REDS!

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe this team will. Hopefully we can take the next 2 and give the starters a day off before the big one game playoff.GO REDS!

Your insistence on "believing" in this team is slightly amusing.
What's the next logical end point?

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have absolutely no faith in this team right now. If you believe the Reds are the best team in baseball and will win a World Series, then you have to believe that this team has the ability to turn it on whenever they want to. Otherwise, how do you explain the dismal performances against the Brewers, Cubs, and Mets which directly led to a WC? This team plays with no sense of urgency and I suspect you will see more of that this weekend against the Pi-rats. They are in the playoffs and that is all Dusty needs to give us another year of inconsistent on the field performances. The Reds play a lazy style of baseball with winning dependent upon a big HR, a big 2 out hit, or the other team giving it away. There is no killer instinct in this team and that is a reflection of the retarded manager we must live with. It is disgusting.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds fans pin future on secret weapon:

The-Tooth-Fairy.jpg

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am directly opposite to Ryan. I'm already going into hotstove mode. And I believe we will all be there by Tuesday.
But to Ryan's defense, I'm a grouchy old negative bastard who always see's the worst in life. I admire his positive views, which I lost a long time ago. So hang in there Ryan don't give up.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, too, would love to share Ryan's optimism. But this world has a nasty habit of making you more and more jaded as you grow older. I've seen too many Reds teams fail to share that sense of optimism. I won't completely give up on our 2013 team yet, but I'd say our odds of winning the WS this year are astronomically low.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boys I see what your saying. But I truly believe this Reds team can win a ring this year and is one of, if not the best team in baseball. They just gotta play like it. Once your in anything can happen, hell look at SF last year. Its a new feel in the postseason and I think a spark is what this club needs and they will get it. Believe, GO REDS!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, too, would love to share Ryan's optimism. But this world has a nasty habit of making you more and more jaded as you grow older. I've seen too many Reds teams fail to share that sense of optimism. I won't completely give up on our 2013 team yet, but I'd say our odds of winning the WS this year are astronomically low.

Reds lineup hasn't been as good as I thought they'd be. Phillips is having a down year (he has 100+ RBI, but that has more to do with having two of the NL's biggest on base machines in front of him). They only have four players with an OPS+ north of 100 (Choo, Votto, Bruce, and Paul). Frazier's regressed (though he's still a solid player). Catcher has been an offensive black hole (Mesoraco continues to struggle in the majors, Hanigan's BA plummeted (though at least he's good behind the plate)). Even then, they still have been one of the better offensive teams in the NL (2nd in OBP, 4th in OPS, 3rd in runs scored).

They do have one of the best pitching staffs in the majors though. All 6 of their starters have an ERA+ of 100 or higher and four of five starters have 190+ innings. You guys have a good bullpen too.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds have as much talent as any team in MLB. They don't use it the best though. It takes both. In the next week we'll see if they can walk the walk, to get to where they should have already been- at a guaranteed NLDS series. They definately haven't looked like the deserved or even wanted that in the last few weeks except against the Dodgers and Cardinals.

I don't believe there is any validity in some fan statements I've heard about "saving it" for the post season. It takes no more out of you to hit than to pop up, and playing extra innings when you should have won in 9 takes unnecessary toll on everything you need later to win.

These guys have underperformed so far, and crap like Ludwick's sorry excuse the fans aren't fired up is pathetic. If I have a lousy meal and bad service for a meal I paid good money for, im not leaving a big tip, and I either will complain or won't be back. Baseball should be different ? There was a hair in Ludwick's performance soup, and he expected people should still love it anyway ? People leave in the middle of a bad movie all the time. If the Reds perform, the fans will cheer. If they play lifeless uninspired baseball, they won't cheer. It's justifiable feedback. If Ludwick wants the cheers Billy Hamilton gets, he shouldn't blame the fans for not giving him that love. He needs to play better. It's called accountability. Fans need done here from players and staff. It's a record GABP attendance this year.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a long time season ticket holder, I tend to think this year's attendance has gotten more of a boost from the excitement created from the "Banks" than the play of the home team. Having been to many games at Crosley and Riverfront, it's a different experience inside and outside of the ball park at GABP. Even though GABP is not new, the "Banks" has added the sort of the buzz that a new ball park adds which always increases attendance initially.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The girls at Toby Keith's make the girls at Hooters look Amish.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, In my opinion, the playoffs start tonight. You play like it is the 7th game of the World Series, you play to win, and you make the right moves ( that does not include inserting Izturdus into the starting lineup). So tonight, lets see if the fire and passion is existent on this club. If you don't see tonight, you can pack it up and mail it in cause you wont see it in few days either when its do or die time.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the lineup for tonight: Choo-Ludwick-Votto-Phillips-Bruce-Frazier-Cozart-Hanigan-Homer.