• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds trivia thread

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity I just looked at the Mets first boxscore to see who had the first hit. Ironically their first two hits have a Cincinnati connection.

Gus Bell and Don Zimmer

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, first win ... beat the Pirates something like 11-5.
The 62 Mets, as a travesty, were also part of some of the great humiliations in sports, as in getting the rights to Richie Ashburn, who was made available by the Phils. It wasn't like Ashburn had earned any special respect.
I recall Gus Bell saying, after the Reds released him for the draft, how a lot of those guys who finished their career in Polo Grounds, how they were insulted.
Mets opted for those older players in hopes that their name recognition would jump start the franchise. What they didn't count on was that those players didn't want to play with the Mets. Even Gil Hodges was a backup to Marv Thronberry. I mean, wtf ...
I can't imagine what went on in the clubhouse with that team.

Ed Kranepool.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... I wouldn't think getting drafted by the expansion Mets was viewed as winning the lottery.
More like drawing the short straw.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking up old Redlegs and came across Johnny Temple, a really good 2B for a lot of years.
I learned oddly that his last season, he came back to Cincy for a cup of coffee
and wore

No. 5.

In those days, the numbers 5 through 9 were reserved for catchers. Reds had a numbering system that even people at the Reds Hall of Fame didn't know about when I was there. We were discussing the numbers that Nuxhall had worn.

There is probably no special significance to that other than, this is a trivia thread. They stashed the number 5 after Temple retired and a few years later gave it to another catcher, whose name escapes me.

Willard Hershberger also wore No. 5.

The numbering system was 1-4 coaching; 10-19 infielders; 20-29 outfielders; 30-up pitchers.

Tony Perez wore No. 24, and I suppose there is a reason for that.

The Cubs also had a similar numbering system. I don't know why, for sure.

Originally the Yankees numbered their players based on their spot in the batting order. Ruth was No. 3, Gehrig was No. 4.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 62 Mets would be great for guys like Elio Chacon who had zero chance of sticking with any team. Choo Choo Coleman was perfect for the Metros, or pitchers like Al Jackson or Jay Hook. What the teams did to the old veterans was nothing short of a crime against the sport. But baseball owners at the time were known to have 2 sets of brains. None of them had a clue about what went on at the ballpark.

It explains how Seaver came to the Reds or how Robinson went to the Orioles.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's game time and my seat is wet. It's hard to find a good usher.

You may be wondering what the hell does that have to do with Reds' trivia. Here's the tie in

The long time usher in my section retired this year. His name is Charlie Keith. He dates back to ushering in the Moondeck at Crosley. Without making it a question the answer to who was the first black usher in the history of the Reds was none other than Mr. Charlie Keith.

Charlie will be and is missed.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! I remember when we were about 10 years old back in old Crosley, back before the Reds front office decided to make a lot of bad decisions, there was an old vendor who used to have a bunch of fun with us kids. He'd come by yelling 'cold beer' and we'd yell 'hot water.'

After awhile, he'd yell 'hot water' and get everyone's attention. They knew he was selling beer. Lots of laughs.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever wonder what happened to Derrick Robinson?

He's with Sioux City, not the paragon of baseball ... but it's a job.

DR

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm being honest..... no.

If you ask me the same question 10 years from now I may not even remember him.

I think he injured his shoulder and missed most of the next season after leaving the Reds.

What I can remember about him is he was fast, but didn't steal much. Light hitting highly touted defensive player in the minors. Had a unique way of playing deep flyballs. Wouldn't run to the spot....
he would angle away from the ball and run along the wall. I assumed it was so he could time and maximize his leap at the wall.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson actually won a job in spring 2013 with a good spring camp. He hit .255 which isn't bad, no power. Yeah speed but not much baserunning instinct, as I recall. He only played in the bigs that one year. He can say he has a memory of life in the Show.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capture.PNG

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Derrick Robinson was originally assigned to AAA and was called up to replace Ryan Ludwick after blowing out his shoulder sliding into 3rd on OD.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, correct on the Ludwick thing now as I recall. Still he came to camp pretty far under the radar

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a good ST and earned the opportunity that presented itself.

I don't remember how or when Robinson became injured, but maybe it played into the Reds releasing him after the season ended. He still had minor league options remaining.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he had become a free agent.
Same weird disappearing act for Xavier Paul.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think DR and XP were both caught up in the numbers game. Every year around the end of November teams have to create room on the 40 man for prospects eligible for the upcoming rule 5 draft. I don't think neither of them had 6 years of MLB service time, so they were either designated or non-tendered to be free agents.

Xavier Paul had some big PH's in the 2012 season. Another guy that had a few big hits off the bench was Dioner Navarro. I think both were mid-season additions. Dioner got a nice contract elsewhere as a result of his small sample size success.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall thinking at the time that the Reds let Navarro get away cheap, though to be fair, the Mesoraco factor was pretty important.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dioner got nearly $2M which isn't a lot, but Mesoraco was the future and only cost league minimum.

Hannigan was already under contract for around $2M and Dioner wasn't signing another MiLB deal, so it was bad timing if nothing else.

Hannigan was gone after the season and they signed Pena.

Who would you take... Pena or Dioner?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing Ramon Hernandez into that mix for a time. Reds catching was predictable if not all-star.
Having seen Pena for a couple of years, I think Cincy gaffed in not trading him last summer on the deadline. As it was, he walked and signed with the Birds.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought teams might have interest in Pena, but I assume the Reds would have dealt him if there was a suitable offer.

The Reds have had descent BA hitting backup catchers most of the past decade. At times it's been more platoon than starter/backup, but nonetheless the Reds' catching duo has hit for a respectable average most seasons. Hasn't been much power from the #2 position, but it is typically a defense first position.

Which leads me to pose the question;
Have the Reds' catchers hit enough compared to the quality of defense provided?

I think that question can be asked for all middle of the field defenders. When does the lack of offense become a negative for the sake of great defense?