• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds trivia thread

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2b ... Joe Morgan would be a GG winner.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long before they called it Cinco de Mayo in suburban 4th grade classes, kids revered the name of

CY

He was a great pitcher and on 5-5-04, he pitched a perfect game. Proving you are only Young once, he was never the same after that. All he did was pitch.

Cy's perfect game

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bronson for sure
Phillips has won 3 or 4. I thought
Joe Morgan won at least 1
Cesar Geronimo I thought had at least one maybe two.
Larkin.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rain has cleared out and it's almost game time.

Not much interest in Gold Gloves. Here's the list
1B Votto
2B Helms, Morgan, Boone, Reese, Phillips
3B Rolen
SS McMillan, Cardenas, Concepcion, Larkin
C Edwards, Bench
OF Robinson, Pinson, Geronimo, Rose, Davis
P Haddix, Arroyo

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haddix ... dang, that does go back.
I should have remembered Leo Cardenas. Slickest SS ever.
Pokey Reese?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Edwards is a curious bit of Reds history. He was one of 3 catchers who got innings for the 1961 pennant winner. Darrell Johnson and Jerry Zimmerman were the others.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can tell there's a small crowd when you can get Internet reception at GABP.

McMillan and Haddix are the two I don't remember being Reds. I remember seeing Roy M. as Mets player. I was 5 years old in 1961, don't remember that WS either.

Pokey Reese won two Gold Gloves (1999-00), I'd rate him as the best defensive 2nd baseman of the group.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Leo Cardenas playing in Cuba when Castro seized power. He was injured by gunfire when violence erupted. He was one of the last players to make it out of Cuba before they locked it down. Pretty sure it was Leo.... do you remember or have you heard that story John?

That was obviously the last minor league baseball in Cuba, the Reds moved the team to Jersey.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall that Cardenas was ever wounded but I do know he got out of Cuba, though I don't think it was all that dramatic in 1962. Could be. I will do some research.

McMillan was beloved SS with Johnny Temple in the 50s with the Redlegs. Great defensively. He was traded to the Braves for Juan Pizarro and Joey Jay. Pizarro was flipped to the White Sox for Gene Freese. That team was a major study in how to construct a pennant winner. Hutch did masterful work. Most fans were super pissed when Mac was traded but it gave the Reds a peculiar setup in the middle of the infield because not only did the have 3 catchers, the middle infield was Cardenas-Kasko at SS and Blasingame-Chacon at 2B. No consistent middle rarely wins much. Yes, ELIO CHACON!

But they had Vada and Frankie. Great story, my favorite Reds team ever.

Haddix didn't pitch long in Cincy. His claim to fame was the 12-inning near perfecto.

Baseball in Jersey was interesting in the 1950s because the Dodgers would sometimes play home games in Jersey City. They were constantly at war with Brooklyn, and finally left town over such trifling matters.

I recall when the Havana Sugar Kings had a team. I think the Reds might have had a working agreement there, and they claim that Cubanos are still partial to Los Rojos.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have written 1960, not 1962

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simon only has 78 pitches through 6, could this be the night the bullpen only has to get three outs and snaps the streak?

Who cares...I'm heading to the house.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have racked Simon the last 2 innings. He is out of gas but Price is desperate to get some innings out of him.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Reds trivia.

Just connecting a few unrelated dots and I ended up looking at this guy's managerial career. Most interesting. When he was good, he was very good. When not, not. Of course, most of it was in Montreal, where the world runs at a different speed.

FELIPE ALOU MANAGERIAL CAREER

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Bench had 10 gold gloves, Davy Concepcion had 5, Joe Morgan had 5, and Cesar Geronimo had 4. II don't believe Rose ever got a gold glove, He was not considered a defensive risk Life time fielding Ave was 9.87. Same with Ken Griffey Sr. lifetime 9.82 Now I heard about George Foster being a risk, but he had a 9.79 life time fielding average, that's not terrible. Just to show you how good the Big Red Machine. they could catch the ball as well as hit

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose won the Gold Glove in 69-70 in the OF. The Gold Glove has a history of giving awards to popular hitters that weren't necessarily the best fielders in the league. The same could be said of the All Star game when looking at the abundance of well deserving players left off teams over the years.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmerio won a GG at 1B and played there 29 games or so. If it was based on pct., it would not even come to a vote.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's bad is they use AS appearances for getting into the hall of fame now.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey my finny baseball fiends. i've been busy watching one of the best starting rotations i've seen in maybe ever. i think the reds may have some something comparable in 2 or 3 years if all goes well. anyway, i want to suggest two pretty good reads for baseball madmen like ourselves. "the only rule is it has to work" by ben lindbergh and sam miller. "cuba's baseball defectors" by peter bjarkman.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people talk about gold glove awards in various disparaging ways. maybe this or that guy didn't deserve a shit sandwich, or whatever the grudge may be. a lot of baseball writers are guilty of that bullshit too. cincinnati has daugherty. ny has sherman. los angeles has hernandez. mlb.com has a bunch of cynical & hypocritical types. but, then we have guys like vin scully to buffer and mitigate the ridiculous, entertainment gossipy, he said, she said, faux controversy insanity that american media life has degenerated into. they have to write something. anything. and, by god, they do just that. they write anything that pops into their small minds. quite often they give no examples or supportive journalistic research of any kind. holy crap, even i do that on our little board here. pete rose. we were talking about pete at my local baseball clubhouse a couple weeks ago. several of the old guys (me included) were calling him the best ball player of all-time. these are mostly new yorkers, and they said it without blinking an eye. high praise indeed. especially when you think of all the players who have passed through that madhouse in the bronx. what was interesting was the acknowledgment that pete played 5 different positions and was pretty good at all 5. nobody could think of any hall of famer who had played that many positions. not to mention, competently. it's actually fuckin amazing, and something that doesn't get mentioned enough, even by cincinnatians. 4256 hits, and almost another 100 in postseason. played 5 different positions (he deserves some sort of honorary gold glove for that alone), and busted his freegin hump on every single play. period. one other record we were talking about that we all agreed would never be broken. 16 straight gold gloves by brooks robinson. we all agreed -those of us who had seen him play- he deserved every single gold glove he collected.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds had a season tickets holder Q&A with Pete Rose back in December. Marty served as the MC for a no holds barred event. It was very entertaining.

From the man himself and I'm paraphrasing....
He wasn't great at any position, his value would have been as a utility guy when talking about All Time type team's.

Makes you wonder if there shouldn't be a Gold Glove Award for the utility type players that split time among multiple defensive positions. A solid utility guy is a often overlooked important component of a lot of Championship teams.