• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rays at Rangers for the last series of 2016, 9/30-10/2

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to look back at all 10 Dallas Morning News "expert" preseason picks.

I know we all clown on him for being a homer and usually an idiot, but Evan Grant schooled everyone. He correctly picked all 5 National League playoff teams and 4 out of the 5 AL playoff teams, missing only Baltimore instead of his pick Houston as the second Wild Card team. Plus he picked Rougned Odor to lead the team in HR when everyone else picked Fielder or Moreland. So credit where credit is due- that's pretty impressive.

Dana Larson also did well, probably 2nd best even. She had 8 of the 10 playoff teams correct.

The two worst were Rick Gosselin and Newy Scruggs. Gosselin picked the Astros to win the West, and he missed a lot of the playoff teams too. But Newy Scruggs, while picking the Rangers to win the West, also picked the Twins and Rays (2 worst teams in the AL) to win their respective divisions. That's awful.

And a big middle finger to Tim Cowlishaw, the only dickhead among the 10 "experts" to pick the Rangers to miss the playoffs entirely. Stick to what you do best Tim: getting white-girl-wasted at college bars and having everyone laugh at you when you can't even stand up straight or speak.
Yeah, I posted a link to that earlier, but it didn't come out as clear as I expected.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never been a fan of Gosselin

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never been a fan of Gosselin
Me either. I have always wondered how much damage he does to former Cowboys chances of making it to the HOF as he is their media spokesman on the HOF committee. He used to do a great job at covering and preparing us for the NFL draft, but you can usually tell when he writes about our local teams that he really doesn't care for teams in this area. He doesn't have to be a homer by any means, but he always seems to go overboard in the other direction. At least that is the impression I used to get when I used to read his columns.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take this opportunity to say how much I don't like the current playoff format. I liked it much better with one wildcard. I think this format puts the wildcard team that advances at a disadvantage. The format also creates a lot of downtime for the division winners and pushes the postseason into November. I wish they would go back to only having one wilcard team from each league.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is something we could discuss and that is wimpy WC format. I wish the MLB/NFL/NBA would take control of scheduling and not the media. They would still get their big money TV packages if that became an issue. The WC team is not penalized enough to me and I would feel the same way if it was the Rangers who were the WC team. They should have at the most a 1 day layover either right after the season or after the WC game and then get on with it. But they have a day off, the WC game and then another day off. It gives them time to line up their pitching and give guys some rest.

Was thinking the same thing last night. I guess the one game elimination got the managers and GMs all behind the two days off (on either side). If we are going to keep the second WC, I would be all for a three game set to settle the WC instead of the one game. That would accomplish some of what you are talking about above.

Last game of the season, the next day Monday off. Tue-Thur 3 game series in WC 1 stadium. One day off and start LDS on Saturday.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Blue Jays game day.... you guys pulling for the O's? :hope:

I hope you guys are right about Donaldson being banged up. That guy is a douche.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Blue Jays game day.... you guys pulling for the O's? :hope:

I hope you guys are right about Donaldson being banged up. That guy is a douche.
I would never pull for the Blue Jays to win, but it is because I don't like them and not because I am afraid of them beating us. I would actually be more worried about their fans than their team. Those idiots in the stands might start throwing things from the stands again.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This 4 day lull between the regular season and the first game in the postseason is awful.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was thinking the same thing last night. I guess the one game elimination got the managers and GMs all behind the two days off (on either side). If we are going to keep the second WC, I would be all for a three game set to settle the WC instead of the one game. That would accomplish some of what you are talking about above.

Last game of the season, the next day Monday off. Tue-Thur 3 game series in WC 1 stadium. One day off and start LDS on Saturday.
I know last year I heard a former pitcher state that it should be 3 games as well with one day being a DHer that way the WC team has to really use its pitching. I think in the NL the WC teams play 2 days after the last game and then get another day off. So they have 3 days off out of 4. That is nonsense.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know last year I heard a former pitcher state that it should be 3 games as well with one day being a DHer that way the WC team has to really use its pitching. I think in the NL the WC teams play 2 days after the last game and then get another day off. So they have 3 days off out of 4. That is nonsense.

You're right. If we play the Jays, I think we would see Sanchez, Happ, and Estrada in the first 3 games. Doesn't seem like a disadvantage to me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. If we play the Jays, I think we would see Sanchez, Happ, and Estrada in the first 3 games. Doesn't seem like a disadvantage to me.
I hate the second wildcard period. It was much better with only one wildcard. If the 5th best team didn't get in there would be no need to "punish" any team. If you have to punish teams that are in the postseason then they have no business being in the postseason to begin with to me.

Actually, I liked the whole thing much better when we only had two divisions in the league and only 2 teams made the postseason in each league.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on the radio this morning that they still haven't decided if Choo is ready or not and that they will continue to evaluate him right up until the deadline to name the roster.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the second wildcard period. It was much better with only one wildcard. If the 5th best team didn't get in there would be no need to "punish" any team. If you have to punish teams that are in the postseason then they have no business being in the postseason to begin with to me.

Actually, I liked the whole thing much better when we only had two divisions in the league and only 2 teams made the postseason in each league.
I like it too but that ain't going to happen. With all that TV money. I wonder if they're serious about shortening the season, and when.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it too but that ain't going to happen. With all that TV money. I wonder if they're serious about shortening the season, and when.
Sorry to say but money RULES

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much activity in the O's or J's forum.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I with you Darryl, don't watch the debates. A lot of empty promises. Come on O's.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope this one is active. Not watching any debate tonight.
No debate for me. Sad to see 2016 coming to a close. I really like and enjoy this time with you guys.