• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the young QBs

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's hilarious that Seahawks' fans think they can possibly win an argument with a Philly fan.

Oh no no no. CHF and I have known enut for 10 or so years. There is literally no topic isn't supremely more knowledgeable about. Just ask him.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. R. Wilson
2. Andy D
3. Andy L
4. Scam Newt
5. D Carr
6. Tannenhall
7. Cantwin Sackerpick (SB appearance gotta count for something)
8. Bortles
9. The Wizard of Osweiler
10. Bridgewater
11. "You like that"
12. Tyrod Taylor

Rest is unimpressive/haven't seen enough.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Wilson is generally safe with the football. We can even call that his QBing temperament, if you will.

YET IT STILL APPLIES TO HIM. What I said above is correct and you are wrong.

Now I'm going to make an assumption here, I'm going to guess you are a grown man since you've seemingly moved out of diapers and are typing on the internet (not that they are mutually exclusive). As a partially grown man, do you enjoy still being spoonfed?

Interceptions Ahead = 1 every 54.5 attempts
Interceptions Behind = 1 every 40.5 attempts

I told you this information was available for you and you still repeated your wrong ass self.

God damn, Seahawks fans are some of the dumbest mother fuckers on the planet. And so defensive too. As if they're aware, if only subconsciously, that they come from an inferior part of the country.

Consider the mic dropped. I don't have time to school you all day. Go learn some things for yourself.
Your post is offensive so I can see where the defensive part comes into play.
Note, you live in Philly and put down the PNW?
Philly fans are equal to their stadium. Garbage.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been a lot of great defenses over the years that went to waste because of inefficient QB play that would disagree with that.

The '92 Hawks come immediately to mind.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The '92 Hawks come immediately to mind.

Yup.

91 Eagles is another.

About 1/2 of the Ravens teams since they came in to existence.

A bunch pre-Ben Steelers teams would certainly disagree with how "easily" their QBs produced because of their dominant defense.

The Dome Patrol could write a book about it.

Rex Ryans Jets, a bunch of Jeff Fishers teams, the list goes on.

Last edited:

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newton
Wilson
Luck
Dalton
Carr
Bortles
Tyrod Taylor
Cousins
Tannehill
Mariota

Tyrod gets plus points for getting my team into the playoffs this year. Bortles is one of my favorite players in the league. I can't put Luck over an MVP and a Super Bowl champion, so he slides in at third. I have Mariota over Winston because of Mariota's td:int ratio.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newton
Wilson
Luck
Dalton
Carr
Bortles
Tyrod Taylor
Cousins
Tannehill
Mariota

Tyrod gets plus points for getting my team into the playoffs this year. Bortles is one of my favorite players in the league. I can't put Luck over an MVP and a Super Bowl champion, so he slides in at third. I have Mariota over Winston because of Mariota's td:int ratio.

I like that grouping, I think you can break it up into sections too where there's a bit of a divide, first 3, next 3, and last group.

I do like Bortles, I know he has a crap line and defense, but I also thought some of his early game decision making put him behind at times too. But all in all had a great 2nd year and Jax was MUCH more competitive basically because of their QB play.

Mariota/Winston, there's stuff I like about both QB's and still far too early to tell on them. I'd put Mariota above Winston, but that's solely based on Jameis' choice of college lol.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

91 Eagles is another.

About 1/2 of the Ravens teams since they came in to existence.

A bunch pre-Ben Steelers teams would certainly disagree with how "easily" their QBs produced because of their dominant defense.

The Dome Patrol could write a book about it.

Rex Ryans Jets, a bunch of Jeff Fishers teams, the list goes on.

The Chief's defense in the mid-90's... That was back when the Chiefs would always take a washed-up QB as their starter... Guy's like, Dave Kreig, Steve Deberg, Steve Bono, Joe Montana... They wasted that defense w/ Derrick Thomas...

The Saints defenses in the late 80's, early 90's... The defense was filthy... Bobby Hebert was horrible in the postseason throwing 3 TD's and 7 INT's in 3 playoff appearances... All 3 losses were in the WC round...

Bears had a top 5 ranked defense for 6 straight years in the mid to late 80's and only went to SB once... McMahon was one of the laziest QB's in NFL history... He held them back from winning more imo...

Texans over the past 5 or 6 years as well... Schaub stunk and held that team back, unintentionally of course...

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears had a top 5 ranked defense for 6 straight years in the mid to late 80's and only went to SB once... McMahon was one of the laziest QB's in NFL history... He held them back from winning more imo...

Uhhh no. Switch 'lazy' with 'injured' and you'd have a point.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhhh no. Switch 'lazy' with 'injured' and you'd have a point.

Dude was as lazy as they come... Very poor work ethic... Maybe that's why he was always hurt...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never heard of such news....care to post a link(s)?

I watched the Chicago Bears, 30 on 30 the other day and he was called out on that episode multiple times... He was more into partying than anything... Would come to games w/ hangovers, practice drunk... He even said himself while practicing as a rookie, that studying the playbook was overrated...

It was actually a very good episode...

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and yet, I can't find much of anything in regards to that ESPN special and McMahon being lazy and drunk or whatever. I DO know that he was a pretty good QB when he played, and when not in the lineup due to injury, those Bears did suffer somewhat.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and yet, I can't find much of anything in regards to that ESPN special and McMahon being lazy and drunk or whatever. I DO know that he was a pretty good QB when he played, and when not in the lineup due to injury, those Bears did suffer somewhat.

Outside the SB run in '85, he wasn't anything to write home about imo... He was actually pretty lousy in the postseason outside the '85 run... Even his regular season numbers weren't that impressive... If he worked harder, he probably could've been a very good QB...

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. It's easy to play QB with a great defense.

And defenses benefit from QB effeciency.

Here's an example of that.

In the three years before Joe Montana was the every game starter, the Niners gave up 350, 415 and 416 points. Over the next 16 years they didn't give up less than 300 in a year even once. At least until Youngs last year when they gave up 328. In the two years after Young retired they gave up 453 and 422.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was "easy" for those defenses though.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. R. Wilson
2. Andy D
3. Cam Newton
4. Derek Carr
5. Andrew Luck
6. Tyrod Taylor
7. Bortles
8. Kirk Cousins
9. Winston
10. Mariota
11. Bortles
12. Bridgewater
13. Osweiler
14. Kaep

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chief's defense in the mid-90's... That was back when the Chiefs would always take a washed-up QB as their starter... Guy's like, Dave Kreig, Steve Deberg, Steve Bono, Joe Montana... They wasted that defense w/ Derrick Thomas...

The Saints defenses in the late 80's, early 90's... The defense was filthy... Bobby Hebert was horrible in the postseason throwing 3 TD's and 7 INT's in 3 playoff appearances... All 3 losses were in the WC round...

Bears had a top 5 ranked defense for 6 straight years in the mid to late 80's and only went to SB once... McMahon was one of the laziest QB's in SB history... He held them back from winning more imo...

Texans over the past 5 or 6 years as well... Schaub stunk and held that team back, unintentionally of course...

Some of those.. Chiefs had a great D, but they got some good QB play at times too. They had quite a few top 10 offenses those years. In the playoffs it seemed like one side or the other failed to show up.

Saints absolutely.

91 Eagles obviously... When Cunningham went down, they lost all their offense. He was a top 10 rusher the year before and MVP caliber player. Their backs did nothing (league worst 3.1 a carry), their QB's did little (McMahon a bit, the other 3 no, bottom 3 QB rating, bottom 2 in turnovers). They were on their 5th string QB a couple times that year. It was all short fields for that D all year long and 3 and outs for the offense and they'd be back out there. That year was so hard for me as an Eagles fan.

They gave up 3 yards a rush that year, and 4 rushing TD's all year. Gave up an opponent QB rating of 52, and 44% completion percentage. Excellent pass rush... 55 sacks. The 91 Skins won that year with a nearly perfect offensive line. They gave up 9 sacks over the 20 reg/post-season games that year. 4 in 18 games to the rest of the NFL, 5 in 2 games to the Eagles. Held Jerry Rice in a game to 2 catches for 4 yards, Young to 96 yards in a full game. Held Dallas and the triplets to 8 offensive points a game over 2 games. Houston's top 5 run and shoot offense with Moon got 6 points and 5 turnovers.

Eagles forced 48 turnovers with their own offense unable to make the opponent take chances. 206 first downs allowed. 3.9 yards allowed per play by that 91 team. That's insane... run AND pass. And that was in arguably the best division in the NFL (Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins all were SB champs in this time)

Just for a comparison...

first downs allowed
91 Eagles 206 (fewest in a 16 game season ever)
85 Bears 236

Yards per play
91 Eagles 3.9 (tied for lowest since 1978 rule changes) 3549 yards allowed (lowest in a 16 game season)
85 bears 4.5, 4135 yards allowed

Rush D
91 Eagles 71 YPG, 3.0 per carry, 4 TD's (Only team to allow below 3.0 a carry and under 5 TD's in a 16 game season), 1st down rush every 7.3 carries

85 Bears 82 YPG, 3.7 per carry, 6 TD's, 1st down rush every 4.9 carries

Pass D
91 Eagles, sack rate every 10.5% of drop backs, 52.1 QB rating, 44.1 comp% (lowest since 1978 rule changes), 6.0 YPA, 151 Yards per game (lowest since 1980).

85 Bears, sack rate every 10.9%, 51.2 QB rating, 47.7 comp%, 6.3 YPA, 176 yards per game.

Turnover rate
91 Eagles 5.3% of offensive plays
85 Bears 5.7% of offensive plays

Bears (rightly so) are remembered all time because of their post-season success as well. But Philly was killer that year.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside the SB run in '85, he wasn't anything to write home about imo... He was actually pretty lousy in the postseason outside the '85 run... Even his regular season numbers weren't that impressive... If he worked harder, he probably could've been a very good QB...

He was a very good QB, but held back by injures...see the amount of games played. His best target in his Bear career was Willie Gault...a one trick pony...unless you want to count Payton out of the backfield.

I've found nothing in regards to him being lazy, and you haven't shown anything to say that. Was he a party guy? If so....so was the rest of the team.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys are getting caught up on 'lazy.' AO seems to mean interested in other stuff besides football.