• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the best conferences after week 1.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP subject is best conferences

Are you saying the Big 12 is better than the B1G and ACC because the Big 12 lost three games and barely beat an FCS team, no wins against a Power 5 team, and the other four wins the conference teams had were at home?

I really don't see how the OP can ascertain that the B1G, ACC, Big 12, and PAC 12 is worse than any other conference at this point.

Not at all. I am saying those loses appear to be very positive for the Big 12 at this moment. Neither team was considered a contender and both gave the perceived top 2 teams games. It is way too early to debate conference strengt. I was merely responding to some post that listed those loses as a negative, which is ridiculous

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC (W's vs WVU/Clemson/Wisky)
Big 10 (Large victories for the most part, only 2 losses)
Pac 12 (Struggled to win against far inferior teams)
Big 12 (WVU/Okie Lite played well, but still lost. No quality wins)
ACC (FSU struggled, Clemson got destroyed, conference isn't strong top to bottom)

Now do I believe the order I just gave is accurate for the entire season? No. That is based on how the teams played week one.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rewind: 2013

Oregon 59 UVA 10

@ UVA

UCLA is getting an undeserved pass. In game 1 they looked bad.

You never know. In 2 months you maybe pointing to that win as a quality OOC win.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rewind: 2013

Oregon 59 UVA 10

@ UVA

UCLA is getting an undeserved pass. In game 1 they looked bad.

Wasn't a 9am start though. Cal struggled in a 9am game vs. Maryland few years back.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify:
OSU and WVU losing to conference favorites in tight games are a positive. Both were not considered contenders in the Big 12.

Wisconsin losing to LSU a slight negative. Wisconsin expected to contend for the Big 10, LSU picked to finish 3rd in the SEC West.

It is all relative and in 1 month all those expectations could change

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU and WV lost. Both lost to top 2 teams. Neither are predicted to be good this year. WV isn't considered to be a bowl team. Many believe OSU is a 7 win team. Anyone knocking the conference for those loses as 0 clue.

That was kinda my point in the thread I made but of course was lost in the chest thumping.

ACC:
Top to bottom I believe it's fairly evident that the ACC is very TOP HEAVY, and the top as of yet isn't as TOP as it has been previously. The only conference THUSFAR that is perceptibly weaker than it was. Miami is yet to play and the conference would do well if they could score an upset of their Power 5 foe.
The ACC is 1-2 vs Power 5

BIG XII:
Jr and WVU weren't predicted to do much in the BIG XII this year, let alone nationally. So their performances vs. the perceived two best teams in the nation could mean only two things...either they're way better than what the BIG XII talking heads had expected OR those top two teams may be in for rough sledding this year. Those results were surprising, as was TTU's struggles. I honestly thought Mangino would turn Iowa State into a better team early...WRONG-O. Every other BIG XII result was pretty much expected.
The BIG XII is 0-2 vs Power 5*

B1G:
That Rutgers win wasn't expected, and Penn St. looks like they're heading in the right direction again. Weird to think that ONE tOSU player injury could bring the perception of the conferences' strength down. The B1G is 2-2 vs Power 5

PAC:
UCLA and Washington struggled with perceptibly weaker foes. USC, Arizona and Cal performed better than expected.
The PAC is 2-1 vs the Power 5

SEC:
A&M looks very good but was in conference, Kentucky looked good against their FCS foe, Georgia looks real good but let's see what Clemson does in the next few games to get a good measure. Missouri and 'Bama struggled against perceptibly weaker foes. S Carolina getting whacked like that takes away some of the SEC's swagger. Not sold on Auburn, Tennessee or Mississippi St yet.
The SEC is 3-0 vs the Power 5

The only way to definitively make any claims that ANY conference is better/worse than any other conference is to have perceptibly similar teams from each conference play each other. Any claims made otherwise are theory/conjecture.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Cougs. Keep on cougn it.

Your coming in low Cougar!!!! Pull up!!!

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5eRNCYNn8uY[/ame]

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. SEC - Big wins by LSU and UGA keep the SEC atop the rankings.
2. Pac 12 - Nothing really of substance in terms of quality wins as a whole, but are still the 2nd best conference IMO based on results from this weekend.
3. Big 12 - Oklahoma State and WVU held their own against the #1 and #2 teams respectively.
4. Big 10 - picked up a couple of nice wins against Wazzu and UCF. Wisconsin and NW losing hurts the west. Other teams didn't really look that great against bad competition.
5. ACC - Clemson getting blown out really hurts the perception, especially if they turn out to be the 2nd best team in the end which I think they will.

What the F happened in the 4th quarter??? Wisc looked like the better team all game long. I flip off the TV at the end of the 3rd and LSU wins?!?!? Did Wisc play Jim Tressel ball and just play not to lose? Not to take anything away from LSU, but they just didn't look like the better team.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know. In 2 months you maybe pointing to that win as a quality OOC win.
You are right. Quite possibly. but prolly not. How I see it.

Wasn't a 9am start though. Cal struggled in a 9am game vs. Maryland few years back.

Do you think 3 hours start time makes a difference? UCLA had 6 weeks to get ready for a 9 am PST start time.

If we are making P-A-C nut swinging excuses let's blame it on opening day jitters. Not start time.

I don't give em a break. They looked down right terrible on offense. And it is funny watching everyone back track on their CFP semi predictions now. After 1 game.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was kinda my point in the thread I made but of course was lost in the chest thumping.

ACC:
Top to bottom I believe it's fairly evident that the ACC is very TOP HEAVY, and the top as of yet isn't as TOP as it has been previously. The only conference THUSFAR that is perceptibly weaker than it was. Miami is yet to play and the conference would do well if they could score an upset of their Power 5 foe.
The ACC is 1-2 vs Power 5

BIG XII:
Jr and WVU weren't predicted to do much in the BIG XII this year, let alone nationally. So their performances vs. the perceived two best teams in the nation could mean only two things...either they're way better than what the BIG XII talking heads had expected OR those top two teams may be in for rough sledding this year. Those results were surprising, as was TTU's struggles. I honestly thought Mangino would turn Iowa State into a better team early...WRONG-O. Every other BIG XII result was pretty much expected.
The BIG XII is 0-2 vs Power 5*

B1G:
That Rutgers win wasn't expected, and Penn St. looks like they're heading in the right direction again. Weird to think that ONE tOSU player injury could bring the perception of the conferences' strength down. The B1G is 2-2 vs Power 5

PAC:
UCLA and Washington struggled with perceptibly weaker foes. USC, Arizona and Cal performed better than expected.
The PAC is 2-1 vs the Power 5

SEC:
A&M looks very good but was in conference, Kentucky looked good against their FCS foe, Georgia looks real good but let's see what Clemson does in the next few games to get a good measure. Missouri and 'Bama struggled against perceptibly weaker foes. S Carolina getting whacked like that takes away some of the SEC's swagger. Not sold on Auburn, Tennessee or Mississippi St yet.
The SEC is 3-0 vs the Power 5

The only way to definitively make any claims that ANY conference is better/worse than any other conference is to have perceptibly similar teams from each conference play each other. Any claims made otherwise are theory/conjecture.

When this season gets rolling, I don't think we'll be as bad off as people think. I really like what I see in Barrett and I already see signs that he'll be a better passer than Braxton. He just doesn't have the wheels that Braxton had... and part of that might be the knee injury still in his head. He seems a little tentative when tucking the ball and running.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin losing to LSU a slight negative.
I'm in the camp that believes it is too early to draw huge conclusions about who is good and why. But for Wisconsin - the biggest problem is in how they lost. Blowing a lead when you seem to have the game won is never good. If that is indicative of the Badgers' team (not knowing how to or being able to finish a game) they will struggle against more teams than just LSU. If I am a Badger fan, I am more concerned about the failure to finish than I am in losing to LSU (or anyone.)

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the camp that believes it is too early to draw huge conclusions about who is good and why. But for Wisconsin - the biggest problem is in how they lost. Blowing a lead when you seem to have the game won is never good. If that is indicative of the Badgers' team (not knowing how to or being able to finish a game) they will struggle against more teams than just LSU. If I am a Badger fan, I am more concerned about the failure to finish than I am in losing to LSU (or anyone.)

In almost every post I said current perception could change. I just said it was a slight negative for the Big 10, because Wisconsin is probably expected tofinish higher than LSU when the one of the few inter - conference games between reasonably matched teams

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, there isn't a conference that looks like the overall best right now.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2013 West Virginia played both Oklahoma and Texas in close games, yet was blown out and shutout by Maryland 37-0. BTW, WVU finished 4-8 in 2013, and one of those wins was over Oklahoma State.

All I have seen in 2014 verifies 2013, WVU plays up for the competition, which shows the WVU players have the willpower to win. But something seems to be missing for West Virginia?

The best conference is the SEC so far, and it is a four way tie for second place or fifth place depending on your point of view.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC lost to SEC and PAC 12 and Sunbelt
Big 12 lost to SEC, ACC, and FCS team.
B1G lost to PAC 12 and SEC
SEC lost to SEC, lost to Temple
PAC 12 lost to B1G and WAC

There were no Pac losses to the WAC considering the WAC does not have football anymore. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I honestly thought Mangino would turn Iowa State into a better team early...WRONG-O.

Can't really blame it on Mangino. ISU lost their starting center right before the 2nd quarter started and they were leading 14-0 before NDSU even got on the board. They also lost a WR and had their best CB ejected for targeting.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South carina looked awful getting blown out in an upset, bama looked just as bad as ucla, candy got spanked and Arkansas looked lost against auburn. Not sure I would count the sec as best conference yet

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South carina looked awful getting blown out in an upset, bama looked just as bad as ucla, candy got spanked and Arkansas looked lost against auburn. Not sure I would count the sec as best conference yet

SEC isn't the best conference. Again, there isn't a conference that stands out right now as #1. Nothing wrong with parity. It's good for the game.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC isn't the best conference. Again, there isn't a conference that stands out right now as #1. Nothing wrong with parity. It's good for the game.

I like the parity not big on the conference pride thing. But if we want to talk conferences it will definitely tak more than just one week. Some big games coming up. A lot will be shown in the coming weeks