• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the 16 BCS Champs

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranking the 16 BCS national champions

16. 2007 LSU (12-2): LSU is the only team in the BCS era to lose two games and win the national championship. That's impressive, but it's also a reason to put the Tigers low on this list.

15. 2002 Ohio State (14-0): The Buckeyes didn't win pretty. OSU pulled out several late comebacks during the regular season and needed overtime to beat Miami (Fla.) to win the championship, but there's something to be said of a team with the mental toughness needed to win close game after close game.

14. 2010 Auburn (14-0): A very good team with an elite quarterback. That's all it took for Auburn to go 14-0 – though it helped that Alabama was having a down year.

13. 2006 Florida (13-1): The Gators would hit the jackpot in Urban Meyer's second season as coach, losing only once before beating Ohio State to win the national championship. Led by the two-quarterback duo of Chris Leak and Tim Tebow, the Gators were tough to handle.

12. 2003 LSU (13-1): Then coached by Nick Saban, LSU was able to get into the championship game only after Oklahoma lost to Kansas State in the Big 12 championship game. But outside of a loss to Florida, the Tigers had little trouble during the regular season. Not a legendary team, but a very, very good one.

11. 1998 Tennessee (13-0): The Volunteers clinched the first BCS national championship by beating Florida State 23-16 in the Fiesta Bowl. Tennessee survived a few scares (Florida and Arkansas in particular) to win its first title since 1951.

10. 1999 Florida State (12-0): FSU's offense, led by wide receiver Peter Warrick, was one of the best in program history. The Seminoles' defense was good enough to hold seven teams to 14 points or less – and good enough to stop Virginia Tech's Michael Vick to win the national championship.

9. 2000 Oklahoma (13-0): The Sooners put on a defensive clinic for the ages in a 13-2 win over Florida State in the Orange Bowl. But the story was on offense, where quarterback Josh Heupel (and offensive coordinator Mark Mangino) torched teams all season. This remains Bob Stoops' lone championship at OU.

8. 2012 Alabama (13-1): Alabama again lost a game during the regular season, this time to Texas A&M and quarterback Johnny Manziel, but rebounded to win its third national title in four years. When at their best, the Crimson Tide effectively controlled the line of scrimmage on offense and harassed the opposition with an aggressive defense that held 11 opponents to 14 points or less.

7. 2008 Florida (13-1): The Gators' last championship came about despite one loss to Mississippi during the regular season. Even with that blemish, few teams in the BCS era matched Florida's combination of potent offense and stifling defense.

6. 2009 Alabama (14-0): Nick Saban's first championship team with the Crimson Tide used a tough finish to the 2008 season as the ultimate motivator. But this wasn't even Saban's best team at Alabama.

5. 2013 Florida State (14-0): They needed every second to beat Auburn, but the Seminoles' regular season was one of the most impressive of the BCS era. Auburn was the only team to lose by fewer than 14 points.

4. 2011 Alabama (12-1): How did this team lose a game? After stomping LSU in the BCS championship game, it's hard to imagine how the Tide could have lost to the Tigers at home during the regular season. This team was outstanding.

3. 2004 USC (13-0): The Trojans delivered on their preseason expectations by going a perfect 13-0, ending the year with a 55-19 win against Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl. This was the best team of the Pete Carroll era, which speaks volumes

2. 2005 Texas (13-0): The Longhorns ended USC's run at a second national championship in a row by beating the Trojans 41-38 in a memorable Rose Bowl. For Texas, it was smooth sailing from a September win over Ohio State through the end of the regular season.

1. 2001 Miami (Fla.) (12-0): Best team of the BCS era? Yep. One of the most talented teams of all time? Yep. The 2001 Hurricanes were a team for the ages.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way tOSU 2002 is that low. They did not always win pretty as it says but they won. They always find a way to win. Look how long it took another to go 14-0.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good list IMO. Not sure about 2013 FSU being that high - but I agree it was one of most dominating regular seasons ever.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2002 OSU was not a real dominant team compared to the others on the list.

They struggled badly versus some mediocre to awful teams like Cincy, Illinois, Purdue.

They were a gritty and boring version of the 2013 Auburn Lucky Tigers...yet equally as lucky at times.

And it doesn't help that 49 out of 50 states believe that pass interference call was one of the worst in NCAA history.
It is is a pretty dominant list of teams. It is not bashing the Buckeyes, but their body of work was not nearly as impressive or dominant than others ahead of them.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, I can't argue much for 02 tOSU... We won all our games but it was often ugly and at the last second...

The defense was definitely the strength of the team, but the offense was often slow paced and boring to watch from an outsiders perspective...

If I'm unbiased, IDK how much higher you could realistically move the Buckeyes...

I won't comment on the PI argument (VY's knee was down)...

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one came close to stomping their opponent like USC did 2004:laugh3:

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These list are fun to look at, but it almost feels like you diminish the accomplishments of those other championship teams when you rank them like this. 2002 OSU may not have been a dominate team, but they sure beat one in the title game. You can't take that away from them. Mark Dantonio was a bad ass defensive coordinator back then who game planned and held to their lowest total of the year an offense that included Ken Dorsey, Willis McGahee, Andre Johnson, and Kellen Winslow. Thats some serious skill position talent.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could never really attempt to rank them all. But as far as Alabama goes, at least this one got those teams in the right order, unlike some stupid one ESPN did last week.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually thought the 2009 Alabama team was the best of the Alabama titles.

They did not lose a game and played a far more challenging schedule than the somewhat "easier" schedule of the 2011 team.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let it go Trojan fans.

You some cheating sons a bitches.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let it go Trojan fans.

You some cheating sons a bitches.

Haha, still butthurt I see. You really gonna neg me for saying "Exactly?"

ha-gay-gif.gif

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Alabama goes I think you got it darn well right or mighty close! In my personal opinion I think what you say about the 2011 Alabama team is spot on. LSU was being compared as one of the best teams of all time. Alabama was dominant over every opponent they played except in the LSU game. I don't want to get into it, but again, in my opinion, it was fairly obvious who the better team was even thought they lost! They certainly made up for it with a dominating NC performance~ Overall, I like where you have most teams ranked. Good job!

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2002 OSU was not a real dominant team compared to the others on the list.

They struggled badly versus some mediocre to awful teams like Cincy, Illinois, Purdue.

They were a gritty and boring version of the 2013 Auburn Lucky Tigers...yet equally as lucky at times.

And it doesn't help that 49 out of 50 states believe that pass interference call was one of the worst in NCAA history.
It is is a pretty dominant list of teams. It is not bashing the Buckeyes, but their body of work was not nearly as impressive or dominant than others ahead of them.

Chumpz, is that you? I have never seen anyone else reference that stupid stat about 49 out of 50 states believing that PI call was one of the worst in history.

Do they also believe that Gamble caught the ball in bounds in regulation for a first down (called incomplete, no replay back then)? That the game never should have gone to overtime. OSU gets the first down, runs out the clock and Miami never has a chance to tie the game.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a really good list. like REALLY good.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way tOSU 2002 is that low. They did not always win pretty as it says but they won. They always find a way to win. Look how long it took another to go 14-0.

All these teams won, dunce. That's why they are champs. And other teams don't go 14-0 because they simply don't play that many games. Are you an Aggie or something?

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I won't comment on the PI argument (VY's knee was down)...

Copy>Paste time again:
What actually happened: VY's knee was not called down. Selvin Young scores TD off the lateral. Texas rushes and misses PAT. USC has time at end of half to score FG. Net: +3 Texas.
What are the MOST LIKELY scenarios if VY's knee was called down and texas had 1st and 10 on the USC 11:
1. Texas scores a quick TD, makes the PAT, USC has trime for half-ending FG. Net: +4 Texas.
2. Texas takes time to score TD, makes PAT, USC has no time for FG. Net: +7 Texas.
3. Texas takes time and held to FG. USC has no time for FG. Net: +3 Texas.

So, if the knee was called down, the MOST LIKELY scenarios have Texas netting as many or MORE points against USC. So, "knee down" missed call actually helped USC.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2008 is Bull shit it should of been Utah's, the Only Undefeated team that year. But what ever.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copy>Paste time again:
What actually happened: VY's knee was not called down. Selvin Young scores TD off the lateral. Texas rushes and misses PAT. USC has time at end of half to score FG. Net: +3 Texas.
What are the MOST LIKELY scenarios if VY's knee was called down and texas had 1st and 10 on the USC 11:
1. Texas scores a quick TD, makes the PAT, USC has trime for half-ending FG. Net: +4 Texas.
2. Texas takes time to score TD, makes PAT, USC has no time for FG. Net: +7 Texas.
3. Texas takes time and held to FG. USC has no time for FG. Net: +3 Texas.

So, if the knee was called down, the MOST LIKELY scenarios have Texas netting as many or MORE points against USC. So, "knee down" missed call actually helped USC.

I've never agreed with that line, although Texas fans have been claiming it for a long time. You have to admit a kicker who misses a "quick" PAT and missed at least one other FG in the game is not nearly as sure of a thing as Texas fans make it sound. And whose to say that they don't fumble the snap on the next play.

I will be the first to admit I'm embarrassed about people complaining about a blown call in the first half, there were plenty of blown calls both ways in that game that went both ways. It was definitely a game where the players athleticism exceeded the officials ability. And I'm just thankful that I don't have to defend morons that claim there was a blown call on an interception, those guys would be extremely embarrassing.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never agreed with that line, although Texas fans have been claiming it for a long time. You have to admit a kicker who misses a "quick" PAT and missed at least one other FG in the game is not nearly as sure of a thing as Texas fans make it sound. And whose to say that they don't fumble the snap on the next play.

Don't agree... then show me where I'm wrong... Are the three scenarios I posted not the, by far, most likely scenarios to come of Texas having 1st and 10 on the USC 11?

Fumbling snaps, etc. is reaching, and I think you know it.