• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rank These Closers

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Holland, Ernesto Frieri, Kenley Jansen. I only have one Bench spot, being used by Alex Cobb, because we don't have a DL spot. I need to move one, hopefully via trade. :scratch:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Holland, Ernesto Frieri, Kenley Jansen. I only have one Bench spot, being used by Alex Cobb, because we don't have a DL spot. I need to move one, hopefully via trade. :scratch:

I hopes of you being able to rule out my fandom, I am going to the numbers when I suggest Jansen. There are 2 stats that sttod out to me, where Jansen was well above the other 2. The first is K's per 9 innings. Jansen rates as 13.05 K's per. The other 2? They must be below 6, as that was as far as page 1 went. The other number is WAR, which I am not a huge fan of. However, when the 2 other guys have numbers of .07, and Jansen's is 1.3, or almost double, I think it means something.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all closers the biggest question is will he have opportunities to get saves... If the Angels are anything like they were last season, and we know that they have the talent, then the angels are going to have the most opportunities for trades... so even though fieri is not the best closer out of the 3 he may be the best value...
1. Fieri
2. Jensen
3. Holland

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frieri is a distant 3rd here. That said, he is still pretty good, so I would move whomever you can get the most for in trade. That would likely be Jansen since there are a lot of Dodger fans and guys like me who would pay way too much for him.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frieri is a distant 3rd here. That said, he is still pretty good, so I would move whomever you can get the most for in trade. That would likely be Jansen since there are a lot of Dodger fans and guys like me who would pay way too much for him.

Thank you for (unintentionally) showing me that I read the question wrong, and then answered wrong as well.

The joys of being criminally sleep deprived.........

As such, I rated Jansen best, and, for me, it is by a good margin. As such, use that to see who you want to move, and who you want to keep, and, what roster need are you trying to fill.

I could see moving Holland as the way to go, so you can keep Jansen. However, I would think that Jansen would give you a better player in return, so.....?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for (unintentionally) showing me that I read the question wrong, and then answered wrong as well.

The joys of being criminally sleep deprived.........

As such, I rated Jansen best, and, for me, it is by a good margin. As such, use that to see who you want to move, and who you want to keep, and, what roster need are you trying to fill.

I could see moving Holland as the way to go, so you can keep Jansen. However, I would think that Jansen would give you a better player in return, so.....?

Not wrong, just a different way of looking at it. I agree with your rankings of the players. :suds:

Frieri and Holland would both be tough to get equal value for in trade IMO. Holland is a cut below the elite closers, if not on par, but few seem to value him that way. Frieri should keep the closer job all year, but his leash is not as long as the others. Yes, I think Kenley's leash is pretty long. Mattingly can't afford to turn away from him.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theoretical Closer question for fantasy:

Would you rather have a closer who gets saves but has a below average ERA/WHIP/Ks or a closer who has a good ERA/WHIP/Ks but does not have too many saves...
Example: 65 innings 40 saves 3.7 ERA, 1.7 WHIP,59 Ks
vs. 65 innings 30 saves 2.7 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, 72 Ks
Both players were closers all season

The way i see it, closers dont pitch enough to focus on the other stats besides saves... of course it would be preferable to get an entire package, but I would choose someone who gets saves no matter how good of a pitcher he is...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would you rather have a closer who gets saves but has a below average ERA/WHIP/Ks or a closer who has a good ERA/WHIP/Ks but does not have too many saves...

The way i see it, closers dont pitch enough to focus on the other stats besides saves... of course it would be preferable to get an entire package, but I would choose someone who gets saves no matter how good of a pitcher he is...

For me, I think it depends on the format.

In a points league, I think you have to go with the saves. In roto or a category format, I will take the ratios and the K rate every time. Nothing pisses me off more than a closer that screws my ratios.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have to say my feelings trend towards the opposite. In fantasy, especially in Roto, saves are just one of 4 or more scoring cats. And, as such, I would not want a guy on my team that will just help in only 1 single area. As such, if I had a closer that was killing me everywhere but saves, I think I would consider punting the saves stats all together, and change out the one closer, if not all of my closers, and turn then around for starting pitchers that will likely help me in all cats excpet saves.

No real right or wrong way to go here, just detailing how I owuld tend to go

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I ended up getting Nava for Frieri. Hopefully he'll be a decent fill-in for good ol' Mr. Braun...at least he'll be better than the warm bodies i've been using. Thanks for the input, guys. :)

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I ended up getting Nava for Frieri. Hopefully he'll be a decent fill-in for good ol' Mr. Braun...at least he'll be better than the warm bodies i've been using. Thanks for the input, guys. :)

20/100/.280 looks very doable for him. Sucks that he does not run, but, he's a Red Sox, so, it is not surprising.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20/100/.280 looks very doable for him. Sucks that he does not run, but, he's a Red Sox, so, it is not surprising.

In getting him, I was able to drop Lorenzo Cain who has gone from serviceable to absolutely horrible. George Brett must not have gotten around to him yet.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say my feelings trend towards the opposite. In fantasy, especially in Roto, saves are just one of 4 or more scoring cats. And, as such, I would not want a guy on my team that will just help in only 1 single area. As such, if I had a closer that was killing me everywhere but saves, I think I would consider punting the saves stats all together, and change out the one closer, if not all of my closers, and turn then around for starting pitchers that will likely help me in all cats excpet saves.

No real right or wrong way to go here, just detailing how I owuld tend to go

To use a this season example- Jim Johnson vs Jonathan pappelbon, who is having a better season... I say Jim Johnson is...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To use a this season example- Jim Johnson vs Jonathan pappelbon, who is having a better season... I say Jim Johnson is...

To me, Papelbon is having the better season. Johnson has just saved more games.

To each his own......

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In getting him, I was able to drop Lorenzo Cain who has gone from serviceable to absolutely horrible. George Brett must not have gotten around to him yet.

Are you SURE????

Small sample size caveats apply, of course, but since firing their hitting coaches and replacing them with George Brett the Royals have actually scored fewer runs.
Kansas City scored 4.0 runs per game and hit .261 with a .689 OPS in 50 games before firing hitting coach Jack Maloof. And in 23 games since Brett took over the Royals have scored 3.7 runs per game and hit .247 with a .658 OPS.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dunno...the question might be who's the shakier down the road...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you SURE????

Small sample size caveats apply, of course, but since firing their hitting coaches and replacing them with George Brett the Royals have actually scored fewer runs.
Kansas City scored 4.0 runs per game and hit .261 with a .689 OPS in 50 games before firing hitting coach Jack Maloof. And in 23 games since Brett took over the Royals have scored 3.7 runs per game and hit .247 with a .658 OPS.

And Cain has hit .188 over his last 33 games with Jarrod Dyson now stealing time from him. I think Brett might be too busy with Hosmer, Moustakas and Sally P. :noidea:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

again, it depends on format.

In my $ league, I would not even want Johnson on my team. We have innings limits, so pitchers like him and League (when he had the job) hurt you in 3 places and only help in 1.

My closer core of Frieri, Holland, Perkins, Uehara (WIlhelmsen on the bench for now) is one of the reasons my team is near, or at the top of 4 pitching cats.