• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers host the Astros 6/2-6/4, Heaven help us

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Gallo & Rua work at both 1st and LF for the foreseeable future, which would mean we have to bury, move or release Napoli.

I'm all in on sending Odor back to AAA, and bringing up Profar. Frankly, it's very obvious to me Odor's baseball IQ is moronic at best, and he doesn't seem to have any notion of wanting to improve, which is the most concerning point of all.

But with DDJ, I've seen all I want of him really. I'd still play Gomez and hope he shows something between now and the trade deadline. But again, I feel like we know what we've got, or don't in DeShields, and he's not an everyday player.

De-Shields is a solid complimentary player to have on your bench, but a starter on a real contender he is not. You're right. I fear Rua simply isn't quite good enough. I also agree with you that I'd send odor's ass back to round rock so fast it would make his head spin. Like you say, he seems to have no desire to change and as long as he had no reason to, why would he? Let's see what we have in Profar and give him a chance to build some value.

We need Gomez to play and hopefully show he's worth trading for. With Guzman killing it, I'd seriously consider bring him up at some point this year. Gallo needs to stay in the lineup as well.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look back at his game logs. The bad numbers were there in April.

Jefress was a solid pitcher before we got ahold of him. Wtf happened?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jefress was a solid pitcher before we got ahold of him. Wtf happened?
He hasn't had that much success pitching against AL hitters. He may be just fine again if we trade him to an NL club.

That being said I have never cared for Brocail. I just don't know how much he is to blame. I do know Derek Holland is doing much better after he got away from Brocail. It might be a coincidence. I suspect Brocail is to blame quite a bit, but I have no way of actually knowing that. i have never cared for him since he inflamed the Oakland bullpen catastrophe with Frankie so maybe my opinion is biased.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the point. Players play and perform when given the opportunity, OR...they don't. What part of Profar's 37 total AB's stunted the growth of Rua would be the better question...AND how is the manager to blame for a player not getting it done? I don't think the players themselves would blame Banny.

I understand this board doesn't like an opinion that goes against the grain of the majority. That's cool, but Rua hasn't shown he belongs at this level. Deshilds has shown he's a marginal big league player at best. Why should the manager run these guys out there every day for 4 or 5 AB's when the objective is to win?

Bottom line....the position players have underperformed with the exception of Elvis. That's not on the manager.
Look what Profar did when he was allowed to play everyday on an extended basis last year. It is hard to find examples of young players who perform well on a sporadic basis. It is impossible to find an example of one who performs well when required to split time with 2 other players. Banny is certainly to blame for those guys in LF failing at the plate.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look what Profar did when he was allowed to play everyday on an extended basis last year. It is hard to find examples of young players who perform well on a sporadic basis. It is impossible to find an example of one who performs well when required to split time with 2 other players. Banny is certainly to blame for those guys in LF failing at the plate.
How's he doing at Round Rock, Bennie? Haven't herd anything on him since being sent down.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
opinions vary on that.
players play and coaches coach
It has always been about what you do when the opportunities present themselves.
Coaches play the players and manage their playing time. Banny messed up royally with the playing time in LF. It is about giving players the right opportunity. Banny did not do that this year with Profar or Rua and not with DeShields to begin with. opinions do indeed vary, but the facts of our history with young players succeeding does not vary. Every one of those young guys who succeeded did so when given everyday playing opportunities before ever showing they deserved it on the big league level.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's he doing at Round Rock, Bennie? Haven't herd anything on him since being sent down.
He is hitting .274 and has had a couple of doubles and a HR over his last 3 games. That is about what he was hitting last year right before we called him up.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches play the players and manage their playing time. Banny messed up royally with the playing time in LF. It is about giving players the right opportunity. Banny did not do that this year with Profar or Rua and not with DeShields to begin with. opinions do indeed vary, but the facts of our history with young players succeeding does not vary. Every one of those young guys who succeeded did so when given everyday playing opportunities before ever showing they deserved it on the big league level.
You don't continue with the everyday playing opportunities unless you have success.
You make is sound like these guys deserved 100 AB's before passing judgments. That's not reality. Marzara last season earned the right, as did Odor after going down for awhile. Frankly, I don't understand a person that blames a coach for a player not taking advantage of the opportunity

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminder: Game is at 6 o'clock FOX4

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't had that much success pitching against AL hitters. He may be just fine again if we trade him to an NL club.

That being said I have never cared for Brocail. I just don't know how much he is to blame. I do know Derek Holland is doing much better after he got away from Brocail. It might be a coincidence. I suspect Brocail is to blame quite a bit, but I have no way of actually knowing that. i have never cared for him since he inflamed the Oakland bullpen catastrophe with Frankie so maybe my opinion is biased.

I don't put much stock in AL vs NL when it comes to relief pitching.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Sir....having played this game and managed for over 20 years, I can tell you that's how it works in high school, select summer leagues and college. Players get an opportunity and must perform in a short amount of time or another player gets his opportunity. If one performs, the other gets limited time. That is how it works and I think the players have dealt with that for years and fully understand the lay of the land with regards to extended playing time.

with regards to MY opinion of how this board treats a different opinion.....Lets call it experience and leave it at that. There are a certain few (present company most included) that has shown that for 4 years running and frankly....not worth much of my time here. Now the most important part to me is, it's all opinions, and not one is more valuable than the other. I think it's a cop out to blame the manager cause a player hasn't been able to get it done when given the opportunities. These guys are professionals and hit hundreds of balls daily but it only matters what you do between the lines....most of our guys just aren't getting it done. GROUP EFFORT and hardly on Banny.

I think the only difference from your experience in managing baseball is the front office pressure of professional baseball. These franchises deal out big time contracts and don't have the flexibility to demote someone who underperforms. We saw it with Fielder.

It's a money game at the Bigs which I'm sure you know. The balance sheet is quite volatile for a team in the Rangers position. If they keep playing those who underperform the seats will be empty and that means less revenue. If they bench them, they eat the money already sunk.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Gallo & Rua work at both 1st and LF for the foreseeable future, which would mean we have to bury, move or release Napoli.

I'm all in on sending Odor back to AAA, and bringing up Profar. Frankly, it's very obvious to me Odor's baseball IQ is moronic at best, and he doesn't seem to have any notion of wanting to improve, which is the most concerning point of all.

But with DDJ, I've seen all I want of him really. I'd still play Gomez and hope he shows something between now and the trade deadline. But again, I feel like we know what we've got, or don't in DeShields, and he's not an everyday player.

Can't argue with the sentiment on Odor. However, what front office is going to admit they were wrong in recently signing a long term contract (money and ponies) and then turn and send him to RR to "earn" that dough in the minors? I don't think there is more the coaching staff of RR can do for Roogie.

He either makes it in the Bigs now or he does not.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the weather holds I have tickets for RR this evening. I'll report back on Profar .:-)

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't argue with the sentiment on Odor. However, what front office is going to admit they were wrong in recently signing a long term contract (money and ponies) and then turn and send him to RR to "earn" that dough in the minors? I don't think there is more the coaching staff of RR can do for Roogie.

He either makes it in the Bigs now or he does not.

Well, sending down for a few weeks sure worked wonders with him last year; money be damned.

But I agree with ya on the coaching in RR. I don't expect them to do it. I would demand Odor do it, and the coaches are there to assist/encourage/keep a consistent approach, etc.