• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers host the Astros 6/2-6/4, Heaven help us

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta tell ya. Your attitude sucks.

Just a few days ago you gave me a mini-lecture on how baseball works due to your 20 years of playing managing, and basically insinuated I didn't have much of a clue. Well, let me clue you on a few something. I grew up with my old man being a minor league player, and played for over 30 years. And there are several guys here who can top me. Not saying my opinion is more valuable than yours though. It's just not less.

But then you go on to say something to the effect of "everything here is just opinions" anyway. Frankly, it seemed to be a cop out to make it appear you weren't being heavy handed, which you were. Actually, more condescending than heavy handed.

You've gone out of your way to position this site as a bunch of good old boys who won't tolerate opposing views. Honestly, I've had more than a few "disagreements" along the way, and at times have ignored certain individuals, or I've taken a time out from here myself.

So stop painting yourself as such a victim. You aren't.
glad you took the opportunity to tell me all that I am. You are as wrong as wrong could be with regards to my intentions but that's cool. I didn't expect much more from you than what you contributed here.

Saddles seems to take a different opinion much better than you and it was his opinion I disagreed with.

I'll say it one more time. I don't think Banny is to blame for the slow starts in left. I think it's on the players. I also think players have to produce early without a proven track record for a team that considers themselves as WS contenders.

condescending? LOL....thankfully for you, you don't judge your own posts.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Sir....Mike Young was on a team going no where and looking for players to build a team with. Mike played a pretty good second base and there wasn't much in the system to move him out at that time. He came around and certainly earned his way. Those days the Rangers were the Marlins of today, players got more of a look cause the team didn't see themselves as contenders is what I'm saying. Dave Hostedler (misspelled) came on the scene and lit the world on fire with what...12 HR's in a month or so. He got an extended look cause he took advantage of the situation but petered out... eventually was off the team and later out of baseball. Local hero Chris Davis was given an extended look cause he produced early, and later moved cause he wasn't showing the consistency here in Texas. Those situations were not the same as the guys vying for left field on a team that considered themselves contenders going in to the season. Thus the remark, apples to oranges.

I think when a team see's themselves as contenders, set at most positions as our Rangers saw themselves this season, that's not the same situation as the Rangers of yesteryear.

I respect your opinions, just don't think Banny is to blame for the slow start of Rua and DeShields. I think the players have the responsibility to earn their playing time when given the opportunity. Odor should be benched and would likely if not for the contract...which is giving him much more time to get his act together. To me....that's not the same as the 3 guys starting the season for a team that saw themselves a WS contenders.
Every team thinks they are contenders until proven otherwise. That team MY was on that year won 73 games. This year's team will not win very many more than that if any. The current record is almost exactly what that 2001 team finished with percentage-wise.

You do what the Rangers once did with Blalock. You give him everyday playing opportunities and let him succeed or fail. The first time around Blalock failed and they sent him down. They gave him 100 AB playing on a regular basis. He didn't hit well enough so they sent him back to the minors. That is the only way to handle young players who you think have a future with your club. You don't platoon them with one other guy much less 2 other guys. That way of doing things never works out well. You play them almost everyday somewhere. You don't make them sit the bench.

You keep ignoring the fact that it is extremely hard to come up with any player who is in their early to mid 20s who succeeds in the game without being given everyday playing opportunities. I can't think of a single Ranger player who that ever happened to myself.

There seems to be a formula to finding out what young players can do. That formula calls for them to be given extended regular playing time no matter how they perform. This franchise will never spend their way to success. They have to utilize all of the inexpensive young talent they can to have success in this league. The way they are going about finding some of that young talent is a failed plan. The Mazara/Odor/Kinsler/Andurs/Young model works. The Profar/Rua model does not work.

You can add Hargrove, Sundberg, Wills, Gonzalez, Pudge, Sierra, and Palmer to the model that works as well. Probably Oddibe as well.

Last edited:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
glad you took the opportunity to tell me all that I am. You are as wrong as wrong could be with regards to my intentions but that's cool. I didn't expect much more from you than what you contributed here.

Saddles seems to take a different opinion much better than you and it was his opinion I disagreed with.

Well deserved for sure. And if you weren't speaking to me, the you shouldn't have responded to me in the manner you did. But then again, you can't help yourself.

If in the future you decide to bless this site with your manly presences, please feel free to put me on the ignore list.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish is a 1B-2A starter, if you can get him to agree to something reasonable and get Otani then you do it but if it takes 25-30 AAV, to retain him, you have to trade him. This team has way to many holes and it starts w pitching. I don't care how well the SP has performed thus far, they are no where near a SP staff that would get you anywhere in the postseason. The offense is just as bad. This is just a bad baseball team. Gonna be a total rebuild
Well as depressing as it will get, we always have your avatar to brighten the day. :-)

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything I can do to "lift" your spirits!!

Go Cowboys!! :D
About the only local team that has a chance for a post season

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fair enough

I also do,

BUT I also agree with about players having to earn ABs when given opportunities as young players initially it was Profar that earned extra ABs (even though he wasn't playing all that well, but the best of the 3) and he faltered afterwards

It's not Banny's fault they didn't produce when given an opportunity, as small as it might have been

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also do,

BUT I also agree with about players having to earn ABs when given opportunities as young players initially it was Profar that earned extra ABs (even though he wasn't playing all that well, but the best of the 3) and he faltered afterwards

It's not Banny's fault they didn't produce when given an opportunity, as small as it might have been

It's not the opinion that's the problem.