• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers Claim Rios, but still have to work out deal.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if even the Angels are that stupid.....well on second thought....

I can see them going for Garza. If they pay through the nose for him, no problem. We can just bunt and steal all day off Garza and the Angels:)

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the season Nelson WAS having, and IF he DID NOT get busted for PEDs...I would expect someone of his caliber WOULD HAVE this offseason been asking for a 3-4 year deal totally around $60-70M. Maybe that would be too much for most organizations given Cruz is what 33 going on 34. And NOW that he IS a PED category player, at age 34 next season I think the best he gets is a two year Melky deal with a third year club option with a total price tag of $25M. I am no MLB contract smart guy, but seeing what others are getting, no doubt his agents go for something like this. Will the Rangers compete for such a price tag on a 34 year old? Remains to be seen. But given his age, thinking the Rangers pass unless he agrees to a one year deal.

They'll give him the qualifying offer though, at the very least, if it doesn't pan out, so be it

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was talking about Cruz, why you offer him a qualifying offer

Ok. Right. Agree he gets a qualifying offer if for no other reason than to get compensation. Agree too his new agents are probably going to push to get him a mulitiyear contract which would be TEX out if they choose to not negotiate that sort of program. Given the slim list of COFs he will get a multiyear deal elsewhere. IMO

Since TEX is unlikely to offer Murphy a qualifying offer ... and with E.Beltre out of options at the end of this season ... it would be to TEX advantage to get Beltre as much PT as possible the rest of the way to help them with the other decision they will need to make this winter.

With OF of ... Martin+Rios ... do they fill it out with Gentry and Beltre? ... or do they go after Choo to play LF and then move either Gentry or Beltre (whichever brings the most in return)?

If they are looking to create a market for both of them ... then they need to play now. Playing Murphy now given his lack of productivity works against TEX not only on the field this year ... but in Gentry and Beltre value going forward.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm playing devils advocate with ya: What if Garza goes 6-2, with a 2.80 ERA for the rest of the season, and then pitches effectively in the playoffs (hope, hope, hope). Someone may step in and give him 5 years at $90 mil. Are you/us willing to do this?

And keep in mind, we're gonna have to pay for a decent to good bat in the off season too!

Absolutely I would.

I would do anything in my power to keep the Darvish, Garza, Dutch Oven, Martin Perez rotation intact.

I would also do everything I could to keep their starting lineup as is right now, minus Murphy (and Rios since he is not technically in the starting lineup just yet). You take the young speed in the lineup now, and add Rios and Cruz to the middle to drive in runs and you have a really solid lineup...not shabby on D either.

The last thing I might explore is a power left handed bat if one can be gotten. I'm not sold on Mitch at 1st, so a 1st baseman/dh would be ideal.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely I would.

I would do anything in my power to keep the Darvish, Garza, Dutch Oven, Martin Perez rotation intact.

I would also do everything I could to keep their starting lineup as is right now, minus Murphy (and Rios since he is not technically in the starting lineup just yet). You take the young speed in the lineup now, and add Rios and Cruz to the middle to drive in runs and you have a really solid lineup...not shabby on D either.

The last thing I might explore is a power left handed bat if one can be gotten. I'm not sold on Mitch at 1st, so a 1st baseman/dh would be ideal.

Harrison??????

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You too forgot about Harrison! haha Glad I wasn't the only one.

And you could be 100% correct, in that, the Rangers are making a conscious decision to become a pitching dominated team! No more, or very few, of the 9-6 kinda games. We win 3-1, 4-2 or get beat 6-3 sort of team. And I've got no problem with that. As you noted: Darvish, Holland, Harrison, Perez, Garza is going to be awfully tough and I don't give a crap what hitters you've got!

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey wait a minute - I thought Rios was in RF batting 6th??? Damn! So what if he's not there yet!:lol:

Take out Butler and insert Rios, that lineup would have some possibilities. Big time speed. Hopefully, Butler can catch lightning in a bottle

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask to the room: What if Murphy were having his typical year? Meaning: Over the past 4 years, he's hit about .280 with 70 RBI. If he were having that year this year, what would you do in the off season? This season, he's rolled over and stuck his dick in the air; granted! But what if?

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask to the room: What if Murphy were having his typical year? Meaning: Over the past 4 years, he's hit about .280 with 70 RBI. If he were having that year this year, what would you do in the off season? This season, he's rolled over and stuck his dick in the air; granted! But what if?

After his good year last year, the fact that they did not extend his contract tells us something. They were either waiting to see if last year was a flook or had no intentions of re-signing him at all. Given he is making around $5M or so, and the FA qualifying offer will be $14M this year. I think the FO is seriously considering putting Murphy on waivers this season. Why? Because if they offer him the $14M, you know he will take it, almost tripling his salary. Or they keep him and don't do the offer and don't get a compensation draft pick.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like ellsbury too.. the only thing that would hold me back is the fact that Leonys looks like he may be growing into a (healthier) clone of him. So maybe it would be better getting a guy who not only can get on but can find a gap and drive in runs on a regular basis

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its looking like next years OF will be Rios, Martin, and Cruz or maybe as some have suggested Cruz DH's some and they go after another FA OF like Choo. But I doubt they want 3 OF making $10M+. I guess there is still a small hope that they trade for Stanton over the off season to. Personally, I like the Rios deal at the moment but I had higher hopes for the OF in the off season that having him seems to block.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For you RBIA experts...Rios is no Cruz with the bat, however now getting more AB's at RBIA, could it work for an advantage for Rios and the long ball?