• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers Board Fantasy Baseball League

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never played fantasy anything..... I'll join if you guys need to fill out your league. Don't get mad if i don't try that hard or know what I'm doing. If anything, I'll be the Houston Astros.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never played fantasy anything..... I'll join if you guys need to fill out your league. Don't get mad if i don't try that hard or know what I'm doing. If anything, I'll be the Houston Astros.

That's cool if you want to join. It seems like we have fantasy veterans and rookies alike signing up, which should make for a good mix. Fantasy baseball definitely takes more skill than fantasy football, but if you know your baseball then you should do just fine playing fantasy. It basically boils down to drafting the best players you possibly can at each position, watching the free agent pool for guys who get hot, offering trades to other owners, and making sure you have your lineup set each day with your best players. You can devote as much or as little time to your team as you'd like. Yahoo has a feature which allows you to set your lineup for multiple days so you're not constantly having to log in if you don't want to. Generally though, the more time you put into it, the more fun you'll have and the better your team will do. My father-in-law had never played fantasy sports before either and wasn't sure he would enjoy it. But I got him to sign up for a league last year and now he's a fantasy addict. It's a fun hobby if you love baseball.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current list of participants:

1) Will
2) jta
3) Romeo
4) gregrey
5) BMurph
6) RangerDude
7) Arnold
8) Nightcrawler
9) Hambombs? (waiting on confirmation)

We need at least 1 more, preferably 3 more to fill up.

It seems like the preferred format for most is H2H on Yahoo. Any objections to that?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with h2h. Keeps things interesting from week to week.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current list of participants:

1) Will
2) jta
3) Romeo
4) gregrey
5) BMurph
6) RangerDude
7) Arnold
8) Nightcrawler
9) Hambombs? (waiting on confirmation)

We need at least 1 more, preferably 3 more to fill up.

It seems like the preferred format for most is H2H on Yahoo. Any objections to that?

Newbie question here..... Will we have a draft? How will we decide who picks first?

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newbie question here..... Will we have a draft? How will we decide who picks first?

Yes, we will have a draft online. We haven't decided when yet. Yahoo will generate a random draft order for us on the day of the draft. Rounds alternate in order (Round 1 goes Team 1 through Team 12, then Round 2 goes backwards, Team 12 through Team 1). You draft an entire starting lineup and then a small number of extras as bench players (you can draft whatever positions you want for your bench, even all pitchers if you'd like). All players who don't get picked are put into the free agent pool and are eligible to be claimed by any team at any point throughout the season. If you pick up a player from free agency, you have to drop one of your current players back into free agency (1 for 1 swap).

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The draft will be online with a date we can decide on as we finalize all the participants. I believe with Yahoo H2H and the offsite draft the draft order is picked randomly by the site 30 mins before the draft.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Head 2 Head format for a league like this, where we have a message board to talk smack to one another on a weekly basis based on matchups.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Head 2 Head format for a league like this, where we have a message board to talk smack to one another on a weekly basis based on matchups.

Playing in roto leagues only the last couple years, it will be fun revisiting the H2H format

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing in roto leagues only the last couple years, it will be fun revisiting the H2H format

There's pros and cons to both formats. But as Romeo said, the H2H format should keep things lively from week to week. Sometimes Roto leagues can grow stale, especially if one team starts to run away with the league by the All-Star break.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's pros and cons to both formats. But as Romeo said, the H2H format should keep things lively from week to week. Sometimes Roto leagues can grow stale, especially if one team starts to run away with the league by the All-Star break.

True, and hopefully the newbies or any team falling out of contention don't grow disinterested and bail on their teams and leave only a few teams playing the season out. The part that makes it the most fun is everyone participating until the end and people learning from the experience. After all it isn't costing anyone any money

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, and hopefully the newbies or any team falling out of contention don't grow disinterested and bail on their teams and leave only a few teams playing the season out. The part that makes it the most fun is everyone participating until the end and people learning from the experience. After all it isn't costing anyone any money

I'll be here until the bitter end..... Unless something bad happens to me first lol.... But yea I'll be that team in Late September with nothing to play for who suddenly brings it against contenders on the bubble. Playing the spoiler is great fun.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
season is quickly approaching...we probably need to set this up sooner rather than later

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
season is quickly approaching...we probably need to set this up sooner rather than later

Working on it. We need to agree on a draft day and time and I can get the league page set up.

What days and times work best for everyone? Weekdays? Weekends? Daytime or Nighttime?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Working on it. We need to agree on a draft day and time and I can get the league page set up.

What days and times work best for everyone? Weekdays? Weekends? Daytime or Nighttime?

IF its next week it doesn't matter, but generally I'm unavailable during the day from between about 7am-6pm

Anytime on the weekend before 8pm is fine

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, first proposed draft date and time is Sunday, March 16 at 7:30 pm Central.

Are there any objections to this draft date/time?