• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers Battle the Green Monster May 23-25

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him or Griffin, along with Martinez is my guess

They all have warts thus far, though Perez has started looking somewhat better recently

Hamels is probably at least another month away from returning though

Tyson Ross we'll see, 2 more weeks is my guess

I think Perez and Griffin stay. I certainly have more faith in them than I do Cashner, although that says more about Cashner than it does them.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Perez and Griffin stay. I certainly have more faith in them than I do Cashner, although that says more about Cashner than it does them.
With the competition getting tougher, who knows. Perez is safe imo.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I think with this umpire crew and the pitching matchups, I'd gladly take one game and get the hell out of Boston.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can Jeffress have been doing so good in Milwaukee in save situations and then just totally suck since he was traded to Texas? He's been garbage

Sometimes a change in environment does that. He also had some issues last year when he was off in rehab. Maybe he is going through a rough patch personally he needs to address.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banister should have gotten himself tossed in this one

DDJ's defense in LF is a liabilty, does it make up for his offensive production?
Was having the same conversation with myself. :)

Do you DH DD and have Choo and Mazara play outfield? However, DH is a slot for those a manager thinks can drive in runs. Yeah DD was horrible out there last night. Especially that shallow left fly out anyone else on the team could have nailed the runner at home on.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you DH DD and have Choo and Mazara play outfield? However, DH is a slot for those a manager thinks can drive in runs. Yeah DD was horrible out there last night. Especially that shallow left fly out anyone else on the team could have nailed the runner at home on.
That's a tough one. Hard to yank Lino because he was bad one night . Talk to him and sit him on the bench one night. If he continues to play badly then send him down a while.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another thought, Beltre will soon be back and Gallo likely goes to LF. Then what?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thought, Beltre will soon be back and Gallo likely goes to LF. Then what?

It's tough because I feel like Deshields is the only true lead off hitter we have. He definitely jumpstarts the lineup when he is doing well. I know some people will ask what about Choo, but he's not having that great of a year so far and I don't really trust him or expect much out of him since all of the injuries. I can't wait for him to be off the books. I know it's a few more years at least.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took the 15 or more option.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see this as our outfield when everyone is healthy.

Gallo lf Gomez cf Mazara wf

So that leaves Rua Choo DDJ and Profar when he returns. Looks like some decisions will have to be made. None of these can play cf. So does Hoying fit in as backup in cf?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 Ks for sale tonight

Just my guess. We know he should get 10 at least based on him playing us and he's gotten at least 10ks in pretty much every game this year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see this as our outfield when everyone is healthy.

Gallo lf Gomez cf Mazara wf

So that leaves Rua Choo DDJ and Profar when he returns. Looks like some decisions will have to be made. None of these can play cf. So does Hoying fit in as backup in cf?
I think Profar should be getting some time in in CF while he is at Round Rock.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*BELTRE: Jon Daniels says a lot about Texas Rangers' trade perspective with very few words | SportsDay

Rangers GM Jon Daniels can say a lot with very little, like he did on Tuesday.

The subject: The trade deadline. I know it's only a little more than two months away, but, hey, it's never too early to play "Buy or Sell," ... And so Daniels ended up an unwitting contestant

His answer: "Our hope is most of our needs can be filled by the continued development of the group here and guys getting healthy. That's the biggest thing."

Two short sentences. A lot of substance.

To translate:

The first 10 words are mere introduction, you know, how when you are asked to answer a question with a complete sentence, so you've got to actually start with the subject being asked about.

"By the continued development of the group here:" Meaning, Joey Gallo, who is in what amounts to his first full season in the majors and learning every day. Also, Rougned Odor, who has more big league experience than Gallo despite being three months younger, but still has plenty to learn. And Nomar Mazara, who is younger than them both, but may have the most mature hitting approach of the three.

"and getting guys healthy:" Meaning Adrian Beltre, who is getting closer, and Tyson Ross, also close. Not to mention Carlos Gomez (another five weeks or so), Cole Hamels (six more weeks) and Jose Leclerc (we're not sure at the moment, but we think a lot less than five weeks). That would strengthen the lineup, the rotation and the bullpen. This doesn't even factor in Jake Diekman, who would like to be back by late July from three surgeries to address his ulcerative colitis issues, but if he comes back simply for September, it could be a boon for a stretch run (it's just not fair to have any expectations for a guy who had three surgeries in a six-month period).

"That's the biggest thing:" Meaning this team doesn't really have the wherewithal to make any big acquisitions at the deadline. The inventory is depleted. Time to hold on to what's left in the minor league system. The biggest trade chip might be Jurickson Profar, who might bring a reliever if a rebuilding team sees him as a shortstop and is willing to play him there every day. In other words: San Diego.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from the same Evan Grant article I linked to above.

Through eight starts, Andrew Cashner has more walks (25) than strikeouts (21). He can't survive like that. Cashner has gotten by by holding batters to three hits in 32 at-bats (.094) with runners in scoring position, but that is more likely a product of luck than skill. At some point, the ground balls will find their way through. Entering this season, batters hit .244 against him with runners in scoring position. Unless he cuts down the walks and finds a strikeout pitch, it's going to catch up to him sooner or later.

Cashner has faced 16 hitters with two outs and runners in scoring position this season and has yet to allow a hit (he has allowed two walks). It is the the highest number of batters faced in the situation without allowing a hit this year by an AL pitcher.