• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers back home to face a tough opponent: ATL @ TEX 5/15-17

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Food for thought but still not good enough.
The ones that frustrate me most are LeClerc and Hernandez. Hearn did as well but I am ok if they think he has his head right. He has a good arm

A closer and an 8th inning guy would be fine with me. Burke can still be our long guy with a lead

the other side of that coin is that every team at the top is gunning for BP help.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t think they can. This is what happens when you spend your money on starters and nothing on the bullpen.
Agree but they could have easily signed 2 or 3 bullpen arms and still signed the starters they did

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will Smith wasn’t signed until March 4th.
Bochy and him have had a great relationship going back for years. I bet Bochy wanted him signed from day 1. Where would this team be right now without him?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Food for thought but still not good enough.
The ones that frustrate me most are LeClerc and Hernandez. Hearn did as well but I am ok if they think he has his head right. He has a good arm

A closer and an 8th inning guy would be fine with me. Burke can still be our long guy with a lead
I have asked Evan to supply the league-wide numbers. I want to know if he is assuming that just because some other teams have the same problem as we do.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if there is any consideration being given to bringing up Cole Winn to see what he can give us out of the bullpen. It is looking like he simply isn't going to make it as a starter.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"A quarter of the way through Major League Baseball’s first season with the pitch timer, relief pitchers seem to be bearing the most stress from it, with save conversions dropping to 61.4% from 67.8% at a similar point last season."

"The save percentage is near the bottom range of the past decade, which averaged 65.1%, MLB said Monday. The high was 70% in 2015 and the low 61% in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season."

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have asked Evan to supply the league-wide numbers. I want to know if he is assuming that just because some other teams have the same problem as we do.

I think the point of Evan's post was that several top teams have very comparable blown saves to the Rangers, so we aren't unique in that regard. I don't think he meant that most/all teams have the problem. Teams like Oakland and Kansas City most likely don't have many save opportunities in the first place.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if there is any consideration being given to bringing up Cole Winn to see what he can give us out of the bullpen. It is looking like he simply isn't going to make it as a starter.

Looking at his stats, I'd be more comfortable with shifting him to that role in AAA and seeing how he does first.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thos is another guy who has looked great at times, but who has also been too inconsistent to bring up.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at his stats, I'd be more comfortable with shifting him to that role in AAA and seeing how he does first.
Normally, I would agree, but something different has to be tried and very soon. Not saying it has to be him, but we cannot keep going like this.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This quote from Bochy is telling.

“It’s evident with how it’s been going,” Bochy said. “We’re trying to mix it up a little bit. But we’ve got to get it figured out. We need to get José back. We need to get Jonathan back. It’s a better staff than what’s happening down there.”

It is what it is. Saying "it's a better staff than what's happening down there" is ignoring the obvious. Guys need to be replaced.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally, I would agree, but something different has to be tried and very soon. Not saying it has to be him, but we cannot keep going like this.

Winn's stats are a nightmare overall, but it looks like he gets into trouble in his third inning of work. So an inning at a time might work for him. But I worry about the transition to MLB hitters. I think moving him to the bullpen and throwing him into the lion's den simultaneously could likely backfire.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

"A quarter of the way through Major League Baseball’s first season with the pitch timer, relief pitchers seem to be bearing the most stress from it, with save conversions dropping to 61.4% from 67.8% at a similar point last season."

"The save percentage is near the bottom range of the past decade, which averaged 65.1%, MLB said Monday. The high was 70% in 2015 and the low 61% in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season."
I was just thinking about this a few hours ago which might be the cause.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This quote from Bochy is telling.

“It’s evident with how it’s been going,” Bochy said. “We’re trying to mix it up a little bit. But we’ve got to get it figured out. We need to get José back. We need to get Jonathan back. It’s a better staff than what’s happening down there.”

It is what it is. Saying "it's a better staff than what's happening down there" is ignoring the obvious. Guys need to be replaced.

It's been pretty noticeable that Bochy avoids using LeClerc unless necessary. Not sure how that helps him to "get back."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winn's stats are a nightmare overall, but it looks like he gets into trouble in his third inning of work. So an inning at a time might work for him. But I worry about the transition to MLB hitters. I think moving him to the bullpen and throwing him into the lion's den simultaneously could likely backfire.
Give him a crash course with Round Rock and see what happens.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Power Rankings: Are the Yankees back? And which NL power is on the rise?

4. Texas Rangers

Record: 26-17

Previous ranking: 5

We're not quite at Memorial Day -- a common time to assess teams' standings -- but it's looking more and more like Texas is in the race for the long haul. Playing the A's over the course of four games doesn't hurt either, as the Rangers took three of four over the weekend, but that doesn't mean they'll walk away with a division title. A wild-card spot still seems to be the most likely outcome, despite their current place atop the American League West.

In the absence of Jacob deGrom, Nathan Eovaldi has emerged as the leader of the rotation. He had gone three straight starts without giving up a run, all lasting at least eight innings, before giving up three runs in seven innings in Wednesday night's loss to the Braves. Shutting down the A's is one thing, but when he did the same against the Yankees and Angels, it made people take notice. Yes, New York had some injuries in its lineup, but Eovaldi passed the eye test either way. His stuff has been electric. -- Rogers

They have the Braves at 3, FYI.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Winn to me this is a make it or break it year
You can’t hide him on a roster for two years plus without a look see.
If he comes up i have to think he starts in a King role which to me should be mop up. But yeah probably success in RR is needed first

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Bochy supposed to say about his relievers?

Besides his forte is the bullpen. Making lemonade out of lemons.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many home grown players are on the team today?