• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Randy Edsall out at Maryland

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were hiring solely on the fact to bring more buzz to the football program, why hire a guy who was 4 games over .500 at UCONN who's in his early to mid 50's? Which gets me back to how poor of an AD Kevin Anderson is. James Franklin was an obvious choice.

Edsall basically UConn's D1 program from scratch and made a few bowl games (including a BCS bowl game) and 2 conference titles (2007, 2010) in their first 6/7 years in D1 while playing in a major, power conference.

Look at how a team like UMass (who was MUCH better at the 1AA level than UConn ever was) is doing in the MAC and then see how Edsall did in the BE and see why he might be a solid commodity.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The plan wasnt necessarily to get Edsall. MD never thought it would get someone that low on the rung.

They wanted Friedgen out period. They wanted a charismatic coach who could actually sell the program.
Ralph deteriorated the fanbase, boosters, and season ticket holders into apathy.

Friedgen was a bit slovenly and could not talk to boosters. His persona was anti-charisma.
That is just as important as Xs and Os. Nobody was coming to the games. Nobody was writing checks.

Who cares if he was (9-4) occaisonally for a bankrupt program bleeding money.
The program was well on its way to crisis because there was no "BUZZ" and no tickets being sold.

The problem was that they greatly overestimated the attractiveness of the job.
Edsall was like a 4th or 5th option. They honestly thought they were going to land a big name.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the move was because of money. Do you know why MD was in debt? Like I said, that problem is at NC State now. Why can't MD have better success than what you are inferring? Up until the Len Bias death, MD had a good program.

I'm not really sure what you're referring to as the "problem". I'm going to assume previous AD. But that still wouldn't explain why MD continually operates at a loss. And Len Bias died 30 years ago.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they need to re-hire the fatman.

just like Kansas, they fired the fat guys because they didnt project the 'image' they wanted, yet they were good coaches.

damn PR/PC idiots

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland should jump at the chance if Strong is available. He would be a good fit there. The other 2 will probably just retire.

I wasn't saying these guys would be available to coach. Just that their positions would be open at Texas, VT, and SC. For a school like Maryland, that's a bad year to fire your coach, as you're 4th option at best

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really sure what you're referring to as the "problem". I'm going to assume previous AD. But that still wouldn't explain why MD continually operates at a loss. And Len Bias died 30 years ago.
Yes, Debbie Yow left the athletic department a mess. Most schools do operate at a loss. I'm not sure why you chose to single out MD.

You brought up what MD was before Ralph. My response was that MD was a good football program before the death of Len Bias. His death was basically a death sentence for the MD athletic department for many years. Many things changed following his death. Bobby Ross quitting was an indirect result from Bias death.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Debbie Yow left the athletic department a mess. Most schools do operate at a loss. I'm not sure why you chose to single out MD.

You brought up what MD was before Ralph. My response was that MD was a good football program before the death of Len Bias. His death was basically a death sentence for the MD athletic department for many years. Many things changed following his death. Bobby Ross quitting was an indirect result from Bias death.

And she's been gone for 5 years now. And its still a mess. And she was clearly part of the problem as to why the Maryland athletic department was and still is a joke. Anderson hasn't done anything that all that better. He's hired a good basketball coach but that's about it. Hit first big hire was Edsall. That's failed miserably.

Len Bias died in 1986. There was a 15 year period prior to Friedgen that the football program was in shambles. With all due respect to Bias, how long does the athletic department need to move on from that?

I'm actually not trying to pick on Maryland at all. I grew up and still live about an hour and a half from college park. I've gone to many basketball games in my lifetime and its great. I went to numerous games at the Cole during their title run with Dixon, Blake, Baxter etc. The financial state of the athletic department is widely known throughout the industry though as being poor.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since their National Championship team in 1953, Maryland is a 51% team.
In the BCS era they are 52% team.

Put more into your program or accept what the fuck you are, which is pitiful.
You exist to pad the stats of the teams that matter.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edsell officially FIRED.

Mike Locksley interim coach.

presser on BTN now.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, Kevin Anderson is a bad AD. Maryland's athletic department continues to be a dysfunction joke.