• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Reset, get ready for preseason opener.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams reset after 'phase one'
August, 5, 2013

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... -phase-one

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- At the conclusion of Saturday’s scrimmage, Rams coach Jeff Fisher declared the opening phase of this year’s training camp officially complete.

As of Monday morning, the Rams rookies had been in town for two full weeks and the veterans were closing in on that mark after joining their rookie counterparts two days later.

Most of that time has been spent re-installing and familiarizing with schemes on both sides of the ball, a veritable refresher course on what was done during the offseason program in the spring.

The time for slowly wading into playbooks and getting acclimated is now gone.

“Things are going to go fast,” Fisher said. “And now we’ve got to get game ready, get the guys ready to play football.”

The Rams will get their first chance to play someone other than themselves Thursday night when they open the exhibition season in Cleveland. Before they do, let’s take a look at 15 things we know about the Rams as they prepare for their preseason opener.

1. The Rams’ identity is evolving into a faster, more aggressive, up-tempo approach. While the defense started the shift last year, the offense is catching up this year and it’s evident in every practice.

2. Quarterback Sam Bradford is more comfortable in his second season in coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s offense. He’s spending more time teaching and communicating with his young receivers than he did a year ago when the offense was foreign to him.

3. Rookie wide receiver Tavon Austin is as advertised. His speed and change of direction have been apparent and the Rams are using him in many ways: wideout, running back and returner.

4. Tight end Jared Cook and Bradford have formed a connection that’s carried over from the spring to training camp. Cook has consistently been Bradford’s favorite target.

5. The competition at running back is only just beginning. While Daryl Richardson has seen plenty of action with the first team, Isaiah Pead has had his opportunities to work his way into the mix and rookie Zac Stacy will be heard from before the preseason slate is complete.

6. Likewise with the battle at left guard, which is the only other spot on the offense that is a true time-share at this point. Chris Williams and Shelley Smith have taken turns with the first team but neither has separated at this stage.

7. Receivers Chris Givens and Austin Pettis appear poised to nail down the starting spots at split end and flanker, respectively. Givens is essentially a sure thing but with Brian Quick struggling to find consistency, Pettis is staking his claim as well.

8. Tackle Rodger Saffold is slowly, but surely, getting accustomed to the right side after spending his first three seasons on the left.

9. So far, the team’s many veteran offensive linemen have managed to stay healthy.

10. Competition for the safety jobs never truly materialized as T.J. McDonald and Darian Stewart have consistently worked with the first team. So long as Stewart stays healthy, it appears the starting defense is pretty well set.

11. Rookie linebacker Alec Ogletree is already entrenched as a starter on the outside and is almost certain to stay on the field in nickel packages.

12. The defensive line remains the team’s strongest unit and looks primed to improve on last year’s breakthrough performance.

13. Having Tim Walton take over defensive coordinator duties has allowed the defense to focus on one voice and one direction after playing without a coordinator in 2012.

14. The Rams’ top four cornerbacks are pretty much set with Cortland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson and rookie Brandon McGee settled in.

15. Among the undrafted free agents working to make the roster, linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong has impressed.

Can't wait to see these guys get on the field Thursday night! Hope everyone stay's healthy!

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Jaco,

Thanks for sharing the read, I appreciate it. I'm ready to see our Rams light it up :D

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reading that article gave me a chubby!! :nod:

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooner or later Stedman Bailey will come on the radar--mark that down. He is one of the best route runners you can find with a pair of hands like the talons of an osprey.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooner or later Stedman Bailey will come on the radar--mark that down. He is one of the best route runners you can find with a pair of hands like the talons of an osprey.

Trust me, Bailey is getting PLENTY of reps in practice.. IMO Fisher sees 4 legit WR (Givens,Austin,Pettis and Bailey) with one who he thinks still has MAJOR potential (Quick). Add Jared Cook to that mix and this offense could be VERY fun to watch.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jacobarch, again nice for the update:nod:. I am not going to predict any record for the season but I will predict the Rams are going to be fun to watch.:clap: 4-1-1 in the division is a large icon to attain again but it is in site. I look for the Rams to elevate themselves in the playoff talk throughout the season and would not be suprised if they overtake the Seahawks for a wildcard.:yahoo:Both sides of the ball are faster and if Bradford can get to the next level with Cook, Givens and Austin, there will be a great outcome. Think we are still a year away but that is why they play the game. I also look for Stacy to become the primary guy at the goalline. Thursday can't come soon enough.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was on board with the Bailey draft pick on the day of the draft. This guy stabilizes the WR unit and gives us quality depth in case of injury.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a long time since Rams' fans have felt this good going in to a new Season. They've got some play makers now and a steady coaching staff and front office.

Biggest concern is the potential for injury, especially to a key player(s). It's all part of the game, but it would be nice for the Rams to be blessed with fewer injuries this Season.

Go Rams.........make us proud!!

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice...great preseason starting article. two days. just two days to go! I'm looking forward to seeing the defense take the field. I felt the defense was just a player or two away from being a top ranked D last season. GO RAMS!!!...DO WORK!!!

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know if there is a site to go to watch this game??

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Seahawk, you played us tough last year, and looking forward to the games this season.

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll see a lot more of Quick as the season goes on - Bruce was very high on this guy when analyzing the WR and says he has the best combination of size, speed and hands on the team. What he needs to show is aggression and the ability to use his size, and he seems to be making strides there.

One concern - Daryl Washington lowered his shoulder in a recent practice and put TJ McDonald on his back. I'm REALLY hoping McDonald materializes, but if your game is hitting and a speed guy knocks you flat you better hope it was a fluke.