• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams hire Washington Redskins OC Sean McVay as the new HC

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harland James Svare (born November 25, 1930) is an American former professional football player and coach. Svare was a linebacker who played eight seasons with the Los Angeles Rams and New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL) from 1953 to 1960. He was the Rams head coach from midway the 1962 season through 1965, and the San Diego Chargers head coach from 1971 through 1973.

In a November 1972 game, Chargers owner Eugene V. Klein awarded Svare a five-year coaching contract, an unpopular decision; however, Svare voluntarily left during the following season.[1]

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope the Rams know what they are doing, the last time the Rams promoted a OC from another team to be their HC.....well we all know what happened with that.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, never heard of him??
He was the genius who kept Roman Gabriel on the bench behind Zeke Bratkowski and Bill Munson from 62 to 65, I was just a lad. During those years, Roman started 23 games and had a record of 11-11-1, while Bratkowski and Munson had a combined record of 4-27-2.

Thank God Dan Reeves stole George Allen away from the Bears, where Allen quickly named Gabriel the starter. Roman Gabriel of course went on to have a HOF type of career at QB. (Although he has yet to be enshrined)

Grier, Lundry, Olsen & Jones all played for this guy too (Grier came in 63) as well as guys like Charlie Cowan, Eddie Meador, Joe Scibelli, and even Jack Snow was on the LA Rams roster in Svare's final season with the Rams.

Amazing with those dudes in horns, that any coach could go 14-31-3!

The very next season Allen brought the Rams their first winning season since 1958. The following year, Allen had the Rams Coastal Division Champs with an 11-1-2 record!

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope the Rams know what they are doing, the last time the Rams promoted a OC from another team to be their HC.....well we all know what happened with that.

They've gone the OC, DC and veteran coach route since Martz and they've all failed. Not sure what else they can do.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've gone the OC, DC and veteran coach route since Martz and they've all failed. Not sure what else they can do.

Cheat, just like BB.

He was a terrible coach the first time around. Got a second chance and cheated every way he could so he would be successful, and now everyone calls him a "genius".

And they say cheaters don't prosper.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the genius who kept Roman Gabriel on the bench behind Zeke Bratkowski and Bill Munson from 62 to 65, I was just a lad. During those years, Roman started 23 games and had a record of 11-11-1, while Bratkowski and Munson had a combined record of 4-27-2.

Thank God Dan Reeves stole George Allen away from the Bears, where Allen quickly named Gabriel the starter. Roman Gabriel of course went on to have a HOF type of career at QB. (Although he has yet to be enshrined)

Grier, Lundry, Olsen & Jones all played for this guy too (Grier came in 63) as well as guys like Charlie Cowan, Eddie Meador, Joe Scibelli, and even Jack Snow was on the LA Rams roster in Svare's final season with the Rams.

Amazing with those dudes in horns, that any coach could go 14-31-3!

The very next season Allen brought the Rams their first winning season since 1958. The following year, Allen had the Rams Coastal Division Champs with an 11-1-2 record!
Back in the day didnt really follow coaches or care about coaches, it was all about the players:suds: over the past few years, really dont care about the coaches either!!!!!:gaah:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, yea, I remember Harland "dumbass" Svare who played LB eight seasons for us and the Geeants from 1953 to 1960. He was a pretty good LB but he sucked as a HC even though he was young. He was the Rams head coach from midway 1962 season through 1965, and then he left.

He eventually resurfaced in San Diego and in November 1972 Chargers owner Klein awarded Svare a five-year coaching contract. That was a pretty unpopular decision and frikin Svare voluntarily left during the following season. As Vita already stated, we ended up with one of the better coaches in NFL history in George Allen.

Svare did the dumbest stuff, one of which was already mentioned by Vita, similar to what Fisher routinely did. He benched one Roman Gabriel in favor of Munson and Bratkowski, both who couldn't find their butts with either hand. Svare had no eye for talent or leadership and everyone knew it except perhaps Svare (and Fisher for that matter).

Heavens to Betsy, I hope this McVay isn't repeating history.

Last edited:

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McVay: Rams will be “built on character”
Posted by Mike Florio on January 14, 2017, 9:51 AM EST
631631884-e1484405456400.jpg
Getty Images
The Jeff Fisher Rams periodically drew criticism for chippy play that often crossed the line. The Sean McVay Rams apparently won’t be that way,

“[W]e’re going to be a team that’s built on character,” McVay told reporters on Friday. “We feel that true leadership is about building and developing relationships that are going to help us create a unified vision that’s sustainable over time. Our character will be the foundation and it will be the glue that holds us together as an organization. We’re going to be committed to our process and we’re going to be committed to a standard of performance. And those things are going to be focused on – daily improvement and daily excellence. That’s what’s going to help guide us on our journey to try to achieve a world championship and bring it to this great City of Los Angeles. . . . .

“[W]hat does a Ram look like, what do we want our tape to look like? A Ram, for us, they’re going to be mentally and physically tough players that are smart and love to compete. And our tape is our resume and we know that. But, in order to be able to put out that product that our fans deserve, that we want to see that’s going to give us a chance to compete and win games week-in and week-out, we’ve got to be committed to that process and that standard of performance. And that’s something that we will be doing.”

Those comments imply plenty about the status of the Rams organization before McVay’s arrival. These comments do even more of the same.

“[W]e know that before we can become a consistent winner, we have to act like winners – and that starts with implementing a culture,” McCoy said. “So we want to set a culture, maintain a culture and then that’s going to allow us to achieve that sustained success. The similarities in what we believed we needed to implement in this organization — creating a culture of we, not me — are the things that really excited me about the opportunity to work with [COO] Kevin [Demoff] and [G.M.] Les [Snead].”

Those comments imply that the culture previously was one of me, not we, and that the players aren’t acting like winners or otherwise demonstrating character. Which surely had to make things a little awkward for Snead, since he had a direct and significant role in creating the culture that McVay is determined to change.

Snead’s presence at the press conference in front-and-center capacity, including having a hand on the jersey with McVay’s name on it for the photo op, would tend to suggest that Snead’s status may not be as tenuous as previously believed. McVay’s comments, however, subtly but clearly suggest that the person who set the table for Fisher may not be setting the table for McVay.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well SE, if this McVay actually does develop a culture for winning, character, and mental toughness as the article you posted states, then players like Austin, Britt, GRob, E. Sims, and other mental midgets are going to be gonso.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well SE, if this McVay actually does develop a culture for winning, character, and mental toughness as the article you posted states, then players like Austin, Britt, GRob, E. Sims, and other mental midgets are going to be gonso.

I'm just saying I hope he isn't another Svare.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying I hope he isn't another Svare.
I'm sure RR is likening Allen's follow to the poor coaching we got with Svare as McVay's follow could to be to Fisher, where you are likening the age of Svare and his winning percentage to McVay.

I hope we get the best of both!

The insurgence of bright young coaching talent and the flop of winning percentages from what we have had over the last 10 plus years!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McVay: Rams will be “built on character”
Posted by Mike Florio on January 14, 2017, 9:51 AM EST
631631884-e1484405456400.jpg
Getty Images
The Jeff Fisher Rams periodically drew criticism for chippy play that often crossed the line. The Sean McVay Rams apparently won’t be that way,

“[W]e’re going to be a team that’s built on character,” McVay told reporters on Friday. “We feel that true leadership is about building and developing relationships that are going to help us create a unified vision that’s sustainable over time.
Our character will be the foundation and it will be the glue that holds us together as an organization. We’re going to be committed to our process and we’re going to be committed to a standard of performance. And those things are going to be focused on – daily improvement and daily excellence. That’s what’s going to help guide us on our journey to try to achieve a world championship and bring it to this great City of Los Angeles. . . . .

“[W]hat does a Ram look like, what do we want our tape to look like? A Ram, for us, they’re going to be mentally and physically tough players that are smart and love to compete. And our tape is our resume and we know that. But, in order to be able to put out that product that our fans deserve, that we want to see that’s going to give us a chance to compete and win games week-in and week-out, we’ve got to be committed to that process and that standard of performance. And that’s something that we will be doing.”

Those comments imply plenty about the status of the Rams organization before McVay’s arrival. These comments do even more of the same.

“[W]e know that before we can become a consistent winner, we have to act like winners – and that starts with implementing a culture,” McCoy said. “So we want to set a culture, maintain a culture and then that’s going to allow us to achieve that sustained success. The similarities in what we believed we needed to implement in this organization — creating a culture of we, not me — are the things that really excited me about the opportunity to work with [COO] Kevin [Demoff] and [G.M.] Les [Snead].”

Those comments imply that the culture previously was one of me, not we, and that the players aren’t acting like winners or otherwise demonstrating character. Which surely had to make things a little awkward for Snead, since he had a direct and significant role in creating the culture that McVay is determined to change.

Snead’s presence at the press conference in front-and-center capacity, including having a hand on the jersey with McVay’s name on it for the photo op, would tend to suggest that Snead’s status may not be as tenuous as previously believed. McVay’s comments, however, subtly but clearly suggest that the person who set the table for Fisher may not be setting the table for McVay.
Did anyone else have flashbacks to Spags four pillar philosophy when McVay was talking 'character' & 'culture'?

I just hope he doesn't go overboard like Spags did.

Spagnuolo's four pillars: faith, character, core values, team first

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They needed a veteran HC, not some youngster who looks like he just stepped out of a GQ magazine.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they got him on the cheap.....guess having to still pay Fisher played a part in this decision.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He better hire a good OC....maybe Norv Turner?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly understand they didn't want a retread like Fisher....but c'mon. They could gave gotten somebody a little more qualified.

A barely 30-something yo head coach might work in college......but the NFL? I have my doubts about this hire.....