• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for WVU fans

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it ridiculous to look at results on the court? RPI is opinion, just like the polls. We are down to eight teams left, 3 B11 teams, 2 SEC teams, and one each from the PAC, SAC, and A10, when we played in the BE, I read of how great it was because three of the final four were BE teams. I think that without the two washed out classes that WVU would be owning the B12 hardwood today.

That is exactly why Huggs needs to go now, defections are becoming a rampage this year also.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly why Huggs needs to go now, defections are becoming a rampage this year also.

I wonder what is going on, are sorry kids being recruited, or are the coaches running them off somehow? So strange to be just a few seasons from winning the best basketball league ever and the final four and be so lousy now. Same in football, three major bowls in six years, 11 year bowl string, to 4-8 with losses to Kansas and IAST.............................At least we have rifle!!!!!!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, BB knows better than the people who actually do it, the formula they use is in that link............

Don't cherry pick the formula. Since you've read it now… you know the RPI includes more than just the W/L record of your opponent. You understood this… right?

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and girls hoops and perhaps baseball, we'll see...:pop2:

Women's Basketball always choke to. They can't get past the second round.

That was the biggest choke job I have ever seen in the LSU game. 2 of their best players had 4 fouls for 9 minutes of the second half and they were afraid to drive the lane. There was no oppsition inside with the foul trouble and they eithier turn it over outside or shoot from 25 feet behind the rim when the lane was open. worse the VT in a bowl game.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Women's Basketball always choke to. They can't get past the second round.

That was the biggest choke job I have ever seen in the LSU game. 2 of their best players had 4 fouls for 9 minutes of the second half and they were afraid to drive the lane. There was no oppsition inside with the foul trouble and they eithier turn it over outside or shoot from 25 feet behind the rim when the lane was open. worse the VT in a bowl game.

The girls basketball team got hosed in their bracket as well, number two seed, but playing on a lower seeds home floor, plus if they'd won, they would have potentially had to do it again.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The girls basketball team got hosed in their bracket as well, number two seed, but playing on a lower seeds home floor, plus if they'd won, they would have potentially had to do it again.

Yes it was a raw deal but true champions overcome all obstacles. They flat out choked. That was the worst play I have seen in some time, even the announcers couldn't figure out what they were doing. They always choke in the second round.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it was a raw deal but true champions overcome all obstacles. They flat out choked. That was the worst play I have seen in some time, even the announcers couldn't figure out what they were doing. They always choke in the second round.

Yeah, you got that right, about half way through the 2nd half, I thought they were going to blow LSU out of the water. As my brother in law says, Mountaineer sports will break your heart every time.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't cherry pick the formula. Since you've read it now… you know the RPI includes more than just the W/L record of your opponent. You understood this… right?

it is just what I said above, BB, your own WP, your opponents WP, and THEIR opponents WP

Basketball Formula[edit]

The current and commonly used formula for determining the RPI of a college basketball team at any given time is as follows.
RPI = (WP * 0.25) + (OWP * 0.50) + (OOWP * 0.25)
where WP is Winning Percentage, OWP is Opponents' Winning Percentage and OOWP is Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage.
The WP is calculated by taking a team's wins divided by the number of games it has played (i.e. wins plus losses).
For Division 1 NCAA Men's basketball, the WP factor of the RPI was updated in 2004 to account for differences in home, away, and neutral games. A home win now counts as 0.6 win, while a road win counts as 1.4 wins. Inversely, a home loss equals 1.4 losses, while a road loss counts as 0.6 loss. A neutral game counts as 1 win or 1 loss. This change was based on statistical data that consistently showed home teams in Division I basketball winning about two-thirds of the time.[2] Note that this location adjustment applies only to the WP factor and not the OWP and OOWP factors. Only games against Division 1 teams are included for all RPI factors. As an example, if a team loses to Syracuse at home, beats them away, and then loses to Cincinnati away, their record would be 1-2. Considering the weighted aspect of the WP, their winning percentage is 1.4 / (1.4 + 1.4 + 0.6) = 0.4117
The OWP is calculated by taking the average of the WP's for each of the team's opponents with the requirement that all games against the team in question are removed from the calculation. Continuing from the example above, assume Syracuse has played one other game and lost, while Cincinnati has played two other teams and won. The team in question has played Syracuse twice and therefore must be counted twice. Thus the OWP of the team is (0/1 + 0/1 + 2/2) / 3 (number of opponents - Syracuse, Syracuse, Cincinnati). OWP = 0.3333
The OOWP is calculated by taking the average of each Opponent's OWP. Note that the team in question is part of the team's OOWP. In fact, the most re-occurring opponent of your opponents is the team in question.
Continuing the example above, a team has played Syracuse twice and Cincinnati once. Syracuse has played one other game and lost, while Cincinnati has played two other games and won. Next, for simplicity, assume none of the unnamed teams has played any other games.
The OOWP is calculated as (Syracuse's OWP + Syracuse's OWP + Cincinnati's OWP ) / 3.
Syracuse has played and beat the team in question (which, excluding the games against Syracuse, only lost to Cincinnati), lost to the team in question (excluding Syracuse, only lost to Cincinnati), and lost one other game (excluding Syracuse, this team has no WP). Syracuse's OWP is (0/1 + 0/1) / 2 = 0.0000.
Cincinnati has played the team in question (excluding Cincinnati, they went 1-1 vs. Syracuse) and won versus two other opponents each of which have no WP when games versus Cincinnati are excluded. Cincinnati's OWP is (1/2) / 1 = 0.5000.
For the team in question, the OOWP is thus (0.0000 + 0.0000 + 0.5000) / 3 = 0.1667
For the team in question, the RPI can now be calculated:
Plugging in numbers from the above example gives you
RPI = (0.4117 * 0.25) + (0.3333 * 0.50) + (0.1667 * 0.25) = 0.3113

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is just what I said above, BB, your own WP, your opponents WP, and THEIR opponents WP

Basketball Formula[edit]

The current and commonly used formula for determining the RPI of a college basketball team at any given time is as follows.
where WP is Winning Percentage, OWP is Opponents' Winning Percentage and OOWP is Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage.
The WP is calculated by taking a team's wins divided by the number of games it has played (i.e. wins plus losses).
For Division 1 NCAA Men's basketball, the WP factor of the RPI was updated in 2004 to account for differences in home, away, and neutral games. A home win now counts as 0.6 win, while a road win counts as 1.4 wins. Inversely, a home loss equals 1.4 losses, while a road loss counts as 0.6 loss. A neutral game counts as 1 win or 1 loss. This change was based on statistical data that consistently showed home teams in Division I basketball winning about two-thirds of the time.[2] Note that this location adjustment applies only to the WP factor and not the OWP and OOWP factors. Only games against Division 1 teams are included for all RPI factors. As an example, if a team loses to Syracuse at home, beats them away, and then loses to Cincinnati away, their record would be 1-2. Considering the weighted aspect of the WP, their winning percentage is 1.4 / (1.4 + 1.4 + 0.6) = 0.4117
The OWP is calculated by taking the average of the WP's for each of the team's opponents with the requirement that all games against the team in question are removed from the calculation. Continuing from the example above, assume Syracuse has played one other game and lost, while Cincinnati has played two other teams and won. The team in question has played Syracuse twice and therefore must be counted twice. Thus the OWP of the team is (0/1 + 0/1 + 2/2) / 3 (number of opponents - Syracuse, Syracuse, Cincinnati). OWP = 0.3333
The OOWP is calculated by taking the average of each Opponent's OWP. Note that the team in question is part of the team's OOWP. In fact, the most re-occurring opponent of your opponents is the team in question.
Continuing the example above, a team has played Syracuse twice and Cincinnati once. Syracuse has played one other game and lost, while Cincinnati has played two other games and won. Next, for simplicity, assume none of the unnamed teams has played any other games.
The OOWP is calculated as (Syracuse's OWP + Syracuse's OWP + Cincinnati's OWP ) / 3.
Syracuse has played and beat the team in question (which, excluding the games against Syracuse, only lost to Cincinnati), lost to the team in question (excluding Syracuse, only lost to Cincinnati), and lost one other game (excluding Syracuse, this team has no WP). Syracuse's OWP is (0/1 + 0/1) / 2 = 0.0000.
Cincinnati has played the team in question (excluding Cincinnati, they went 1-1 vs. Syracuse) and won versus two other opponents each of which have no WP when games versus Cincinnati are excluded. Cincinnati's OWP is (1/2) / 1 = 0.5000.
For the team in question, the OOWP is thus (0.0000 + 0.0000 + 0.5000) / 3 = 0.1667

Thanks DAD! Not sure I was looking for a reference.

BTW, this is the cherry pick I am referring to…

I have looked it up, it is based ONLY on winning percentage of the teams you play and the teams they play, with a slant toward away wins. meaning a team gets more credit for beating a 25-2 team from a low level league than they do for beating Kansas!!!!!!

What is KU's record in this scenario? What is the record of KU's opponents? Would KU's opponents likely generate a higher RPI value for them than those of the low level league team with the 25-2 record?

:lol:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks DAD! Not sure I was looking for a reference.

BTW, this is the cherry pick I am referring to…

What is KU's record in this scenario? What is the record of KU's opponents? Would KU's opponents likely generate a higher RPI value for them than those of the low level league team with the 25-2 record?

:lol:

Likely not depending on the WP of all the other teams involved, plus your own WP comes into play stronger than that of any opponent if you read down through how it works, that 25-2 counts 27 times for that team.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EXACTLY, Mad, you get out what you program to get out. The programmers opinion is included in the output. WOW are you a literal guy or what. I meant that the output of the computer is influenced by the guy who wrote the code..... Come on, you knew that.:clap:

You calling me a literal guy. That's too funny. I want to make sure that you mean what you say. You crayfish to much for me. Is it the programmers opinion that is written in the formula or is it the logic used by the programmer to create the program that is used to generate results? When does the computer add its opinion to the final result before the final result is posted?

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Basketball Formula[edit]

I see the logic, but where is the opinion.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the logic, but where is the opinion.

Mad, a computer can be programmed to output 2+2=5. If you can't understand where opinion comes into it I just don't know what to tell you.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mad, a computer can be programmed to output 2+2=5. If you can't understand where opinion comes into it I just don't know what to tell you.

You can begin by admitting that a computer does not have an opinion. Try this for logic: If you stop attempting to make me believe a inanimate object has feeling, then I will agree with you.

A program that is written to test/capture results of an expression on 2+2=5 still is not a computer's opinion. C'mon, you're an engineer and better know better than this vile you spew.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can begin by admitting that a computer does not have an opinion. Try this for logic: If you stop attempting to make me believe a inanimate object has feeling, then I will agree with you.

A program that is written to test/capture results of an expression on 2+2=5 still is not a computer's opinion. C'mon, you're an engineer and better know better than this vile you spew.

No you come on, a computer output is an expression of the programmers opinion, and you know damn good and well that is what I mean. If no opinion is in the results, why are the BSC football computer polls all different, biased toward the more local teams to the location of the poll headquarters?

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?..and you know damn good and well that is what I mean.

Oh no I don't. I'm just reiterating what you wrote to be the truth because I figured out that when you imply something, you start to crayfish when challenged on it and then say I didn't write that. So in an effort to make sure I "know damn good and well that is what you mean", I will check with you to make sure what you wrote is damn well what you meant. I cannot infer what you implied. Go back to our PSU - Pitt - WVU rivalry discussion. I inferred that you implied that you felt that there was a rivalry between PSU and WVU. You made it clear that you did mean that because you did not write that. I still call Bullshit, but as I said previously, it's whatever.